Respected Contributor

Re: What's with Food Network these days

@lovesrecess wrote:
I watch Tricia Yearwood’s snow on Saturday morning but not much more. I can’t watch Chopped. Too much fake drama and the judges are too full of themselves.

I like her. She has that combination of having good, easy recipes along with being humorous and down to earth. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen the Buddy vs. Duff show, but Buddy had an actual cooking show a few years ago that was pretty good. He would cook a meal for a guest in a kitchen setting and explain what he was doing throughout the show. He was patient - to the extent that I thought he must have been body-snatched. 

The only competition show that I like is the Kids' Baking Challenge. Even the kids who are eliminated early on are great bakers. They're good sports and Duff & Valerie are really good with them. 

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I haven't seen the Buddy vs. Duff show, but Buddy had an actual cooking show a few years ago that was pretty good. He would cook a meal for a guest in a kitchen setting and explain what he was doing throughout the show. He was patient - to the extent that I thought he must have been body-snatched. 

The only competition show that I like is the Kids' Baking Challenge. Even the kids who are eliminated early on are great bakers. They're good sports and Duff & Valerie are really good with them. 

I love Kid's Baking Championship! The kids support each other for the most part and Duff and Valerie are so good with the kids. The kids could certainly teach Buddy a thing or two about good sportsmanship.

Trusted Contributor

That channel is such a joke.  They do not have one show on there that actually shows you how to cook.  They are all either dumb game shows, or competitions.  This used to be a good channel, do not watch it anymore.  

Respected Contributor

i really dislike the kitchen impossible show, too. i would never go out to eat, if i believed everything i saw on it. too much of guy fieri, too. why do chefs need to be tatoo everywhere? ick.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

There are too many competition shows in the past few weeks. During the day I used to watch the mornings into the afternoons because they featured actual instructional cooking shows vs shows meant soley for entertainment.

Now it's Food Paradise, Diners driveins and Chopped constantly.

I am finding "Duff vs Buddy" hard to watch because of Buddy. He needs a lesson in humility.

Buddy thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.  He's not!

Honored Contributor

The best cooking / food shows are on PBS, especially the PBS Create channel (which isn't always carried locally).

Respected Contributor

Haven't watched it since they cancelled "Emeril, Live!".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember watching Emeril Live back in the day!  Smiley Happy

I still watch a few shows - The Kitchen I really like except I cannot stomach Sunny.

Some of the baking competitions are fun but I cannot remember the names.  The one hosted by Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman with the kids is fun and the kids are so sweet!   I also watch the one with Clinton Kelly as host except that Paula Deen knock-off is annoying.  Wasn't a fan of Paula Deen either, though.

I cannot watch anything with that Buddy guy.  Ever since he got his first show, when Duff's show was going away I tried to watch but he and his whole family creeped me out.  Then it turned out one of the guys on his show (I think it was his BIL, but not sure) was a pedophile.  But Buddy is just creepy.  I really like Duff, though.

I also watch Valerie Bertinelli's 1/2hour cooking show when it's running.  I really like her a lot.

I watch Beat Bobby Flay.  That's a fun show.  I like that each episode is self-contained and each week different judges.

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't watched the Food Network in years!!!!!! Gone downhill like the rest of tv. They have those competition shows because it costs them NOTHING to produce. Is Guy Fieri really deserving of so much screen time? I only see him when I changing channels. He's hard to watch.