Contributor

What's up with the phrase "big game"??

On Sunday I was watching some of the kitchen show and the hosts (and Emeril) were using the phrase "big game" over and over - which I assume means the Superbowl.  It sounded so odd - why is suddenly everyone using this odd phrase?  Did the QVC lawyers make them say that for some strange reason?  Can people not use the word "Superbowl" anymore?  I thought it sounded ridiculous. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What's up with the phrase "big game"??

The word Super bowl is trademarked or whatever and so even on the radio talk shows they have to use other words. I think it is so stupid. Today they were calling it the Grand Vessel, Big Basin, etc. All I am callel it is a Carole Panthers win!LOL🏈🏈🏈

Respected Contributor

Did we start ANOTHER thread on this same subject? Why?

@birkin baby, Carole Panther? I think I went to high school with her! (dang that autocorrect, huh?!)

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Did we start ANOTHER thread on this same subject? Why?

@birkin baby, Carole Panther? I think I went to high school with her! (dang that autocorrect, huh?!

Lol!  Small world,Carol Panther was my college roommate, 😉. haha.  Darn  auto correct and typing without my glasses ...it's a miracle anything made sense. Gotta laugh at myself because my friends always make fun of my crazy texts. 

Didn't know there was another thread. But of course,GO CAROLINA (and Carol) PANTHERS!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a sports fan.  I have no clue even what a SuperBowl is. It would seem however the trademark restrictions are nuts.  If I were in business, any kind, I would l  would want any and all kinds of publicity I could get.  It would be "tell anyone who would listen."  

I do have a question if this is a game, who is playing.  And if any team is the name of a BIRD I want them to win.  I like birds.  I am not joking, guys.  

Honored Contributor

This is a silly as Susan B. Komen and their trademark on "pink" items.

Both are beyond ridiculous, IMO. Free speech should allow us to say both words and write both words w/o fear of a lawsuit.