Trusted Contributor

Re: What's the secret to making a GREAT garden salad?

One I enjoy this time of year is thinly sliced endive, chunks of fresh pear, toasted pecans and a balsamic vinaigrette. Then just a sprinkle of Gorgonzola.
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Lynneuk said: One I enjoy this time of year is thinly sliced endive, chunks of fresh pear, toasted pecans and a balsamic vinaigrette. Then just a sprinkle of Gorgonzola.

this is a favorite combo of mine too! I often add a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I always make homemade salad dressing and use salt and pepper on salad. Vary the dressing according to the ingredients in salad.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 millieshops said:
On 10/21/2014 RedHeadedWench said: Believe it or not, when I started adding a dash of salt and pepper in to the toss, my salads started tasting a lot better. A good mix of greens and veggies aren't a bad idea either.

Totally agree with you. Amazing what seasoning do, isn't it?

And, I don't take complaints about the small amount I use from anyone who then pours commercial salad dressing all over my colorful crisp salads instead of reaching for my own olive oil and vinegar concoction.

So true.

If you eat at home and make all your own stuff, you don't have to worry about sodium.

It's the eating out/eating pre-made food that is where the sodium hides.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Good greens and color. I prefer tomatoes, but others might not.

For over the top good, I say red onion left in pieces large enough that people can pull out if they don't like it. Nuts--pecans, walnuts, almonds. And seeds like pumpkin or sunflower.

Craisins or dried cherries depending on the salad.

Respected Contributor

I love the salad bar idea. If you don't do a salad bar, I'd at least have the cheese served seperately if you have cheese that is. I can't have any dairy and I know others have that problem too.

Trusted Contributor

No wonder we rarely eats salads, I don't know how to make them,yours all sound SO good.
Trusted Contributor

OP, you have some terrific responses and great ideas!!

I agree that a great dressing helps.

One thing I like to add to salads are chick peas. Very healthy!

Esteemed Contributor

Here is a simple favorite:

Arugula Peach and Cheddar Salad

Serves 4

Ingredients

· 1/4 cup pecans

· 3 tablespoons olive oil

· 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

· 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

· 1/2 teaspoon honey

· kosher salt and black pepper

· 2 bunches arugula (6 cups)

· 1 peach, sliced

· 2 ounces sharp white Cheddar, cut into chunks

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toast the pecans, tossing once, until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes; let cool, then chop.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add the arugula, peach, Cheddar, and pecans and toss to coat.

Tip

You can substitute almonds for the pecans and nectarines for the peaches.

Nutritional Information

Calories 273; Fat 27g; Sat Fat 6g; Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 235mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 6g; Sugar 4g; Fiber 2g; Iron 1mg; Calcium 156mg

Trusted Contributor

All the salads mentioned sound yummy. I've also found that a homemade dressing made with a lightly flavored olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar can make even a hum drum salad special. I have a maple flavored vinegar that in a dressing would taste yummy over the salad mentioned above with roasted fall root veggies.