Respected Contributor

Re: What's the first thing you're going to cook when the weather turns cool?

Probably homemade soup or chili and homemade bread!

Super Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

Zuppa Toscana.

cookin

Is that the Olive Garden soup??

Respected Contributor

@Ms Tink wrote:

Well, I don't wait for it to turn cool! I crank up that A/C about an hour before I get the pots and pans going. Chicken Pastry (some say chicken and dumplings) I had last week. I've also had a good old pot roast that was so good. The weather doesn't stop me from cooking stuff I love. I live in NC and it gets pretty hot here. Even in December when a lot of you are having snow I have the A/C running while I prepare my Holiday meals. Smiley Very Happy

Chicken pastry is the term that I grew up with also. The dough is rolled out thin then cut into strips.

Honored Contributor

My tomato bean chili has been waiting in my pantry since early summer. 

And I am placing pumpkin on my shopping list just to pretend while it's still 90 degrees out.  

Trusted Contributor

A big pan of roasted veggies!

Respected Contributor

Try making it with string cheese, ham, and a slice of tomato.He might perk up for it  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I never stopped using my oven! I have a new oven and it certainly doesn't heat up the entire kitchen. I barely know its on. Wow, I can't believe people still won't cook during the Summer months. 

It's not the fact of using the oven, it's the type of foods.  We certainly don't want chili, soups, stews or other heavy meals during the hot summer months.

When I can, we much prefer to cook out on the grill.  I'll cook on the grill until I can't anymore because it will be a long time before we can again.   

Trusted Contributor

Always gumbo! Although, it's pretty much year round. We just turn the air up and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

A large pot of spagetti with fresh mushrooms and onions.

I serve it with:

Onion Bread

Heat oven to 375 degrees

1 large sweet onion and liquid, grated on the smallest side of the grater (it will resemble baby food) into low sided container (like pie pan).

1 1/4 stick melted butter

French Bread, Deli sliced

Aluminum foil

Place loaf of sliced bread on long piece of aluminum foil.

Mix grated onion and melted butter.

With pastry brush, liberally spread the front of each side of bread, picking up some of the onion pulp.

Push loaf together, spread any leftover mixture over the top of the loaf and tightly seal the foil.

Bake for 40 minutes until hot.  The top may be opened for a very few minutes.

Reheats great because of the moisture.

Honored Contributor

I cook all year around and many of the good foods mentioned are on my rotation list 12 months a year.

i purchased a couple of dozen of ears of corn today.  I am going to make chicken corn soup.  I figure I better hurry up before all the fresh corn is gone.

Last week, my DH and some friends finished up the last of the pumpkin roll I made last winter.  I froze a bunch of them.  They thaw out and taste like fresh made...according to my DH.

This year I will make some more and freeze them too.  I will wait for the weather to get cooler before I start baking items for the freezer.