Valued Contributor

Re: What's cooking this Merry Month of May?

Good question. I'm going to use a large box. But not sure. Will let you know when I've tried it. Glad you caught that.
Valued Contributor

Friend said small box of jello. She also added 1/4 c butter to water.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the clarification!

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Evening all, Busy day. Went to a tour presentation this morning. Then out tonight for art club spring dinner. Still have the cough and congestion but much better. On the mend. Have Mahjong here tomorrow. Meatballs, crackers and cheeses, sugar cookies, salsa. Maybe a dessert. Evening Akkad.
Respected Contributor

It is sooooooooo humid out here and going along with that - 71 percent - is a temp of 97 degrees. Ahhhh, I so wish the once outstanding climate of Sou Cal would return. I cannot get anything done in this horrible stuff.

Was driving past Dollar General earlier today - I am NOT a shopper fan of that general type of store but the sign of $1 for a rib eye steak caught my attention. Will have to admit however, I often will go to the 99cent store for veggies - they are excellent most of the time. Went in and they were all gone but the very nice young lady said they had a new shipment just arriving and she would check for me. Out she came with a box of them - I bought 8 - very thin but thought the price was worth trying them. Davey and his Mom are here so Davey cooked them on the grill - he is becoming a very cook chef on the grill. Already had some potato and macaroni salad so that worked fine. They were SO THIN they would have been really good in a sandwich - am glad I bought them as that will work just fine for the ones we did not cook - four left over. Now I prefer the THICKER rib eye steak but you just could not pass this one up. Very tasty. You just never know do you?

Tomorrow at about 8 or so need to take one of the kitties to be spayed - Davey was suppose to get her here about 2 months ago and I am afraid she is pg now. Sob. If so need to cough up even more money. Then to get my hair done and then in the afternoon will pick the kitty up. I do wish they would stop picking up kitties and then the cost for me becomes prohibitive. They lost their place where they were staying so here we go again. Couple years ago I went through the SAME THING with two cats their Mom and her friend had. I had to finally take them to the rescue site - I just do not think that is fair to the kitties nor anyone else. Do NOT take an animal in if you cannot care for them forever!!!! Here we go again - four cats are just too much for me. Say a prayer they can find a place to live - soon!!!

What to eat tomorrow? Not sure but will probably toss something in the slow cooker - way too hot to cook any other way except the grill and I am not up to that/

Hope all have a great evening and even better tomorrow.

Valued Contributor

Morning,

I'm busy preparing for MahJong. Have sugar cookies bakes, salsa thawing, baked my taco chips, baked Black Olive Parmesan Focaccia (daughter bought in Chicago), cheese, crackers.

I still have this cold, cough. It will be 3 weeks Saturday. Just tired of feeling tired. Winifred we are getting rain today. Shall I blow some your way? I hate humid weather. We were so lucky in Lexington that it wasn't humid. Guess it was humid the day before we arrived but they had a nice rain that night.

Okay, everyone, must get busy.

Respected Contributor

Would LOVE to have some rain sent our way - and I will glady send back a ton of humidity to those who like that stuff. This climate change out here is not nice. Soushi, you stay so busy - maybe when you are under the weather you should just slow down and chill out - give your body time to heal.

Had spaghetti and Texas garlic toast last night. Davey is here and for a 14 year old he just does NOT pay attention to things any too much. Sat his plate FULL of spaghetti on the arm of the sofa - can you imagine - and then knocked it all over the carpet. I was really angry. I know kids can occasionally mess up but he is old enough to know better. I have trouble with him in the car also - he leaves a mess and somehow sneaks food and yesterday I found that all over the back seat. I really get upset with him over being what I call a PIG!! I have to deal with him on a few issues later when I get back from taking an elderly friend - TO SAN BERNARDINO, where else - to get her meds. Guess I do not understand why she does not get them here. She says she saves $20 by getting them at Costco but the price of driving there, going through the hassle in Costco ain't worth it in my book. I looked into prices of my scrips at Sams and while I would save a couple bucks it is just too far for meds and the gas and wear and tear are something else. I will give her credit, she usually drives herself but she has been in very bad pain and she has not felt like driving that far. Says she can sit in the car so I said, fine, I will pick you up at quarter to ten. She will NOT ask any of her kids to do anything for her and they ALL are financially well off and would help her. They pay a lot of her things like gardner, security , property insurance and she has a very good income but she will NOT ask them for a favor. Guess I just do not get it.

Gotta run, got a load of clothes to hang on the line. Also after I deal with Davey on a couple issues when I return I had promised to get his hair cut - he looks a tad ragged around the edges. Dinner tonight? Not sure, perhaps something in the slow cooker - yep, I will toss a couple chicken breasts in there and then worry about the go withs later.

Have a good day everyone.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, just been spinning my wheels, it seems like it anyway, don't know where the time goes, running around all morning, now will try to "pick-up" the house, think the grands are coming for a few days next week, DD having back surgery, nothing too serious, but she'll be laid up for awhile, either I'll have them here or go there, whatever...

Tonite having one of my favorite sausages, Philly cheese steak, really good, made a macaroni salad to go with, & will make my favorite tomato & fresh mozarella w/onions, got some really good tomato's at Sam's this AM & some good french bread to sop up the juices, YUM Also picked up some shrimp for scampi double YUM over rice, that'll be Sunday

Soushi hope you're feeling better & getting some rest, slow down for awhile, I know easier said than done

Winifred, I know how you feel about hot & humid, I can't stand it, get's worse every year, I feel like hibernating, Thank God for the a/c, but as usual the yard needs tending. Hope Stripes is behaving himself, maybe age will catch up with him, but I do think he knows which side his bread is buttered on, he always comes back home to you.

Preds pix always start the day off with a smile, Thanx again

Well tomorrow is the finale for Military Appreciation Month at O'Hare, June is "Blues & Jazz" Fest Month, keeps me hopping but I love it & the passengers do enjoy having something to break up the long delays which seem to get worse by the week!

Take Care

Valued Contributor

Evening,

This recipe was in the local paper from Southern Living "Country Music's Greatest Eats" cookbook.

We had this for dinner tonight and the chops were excellent! A keeper.

Pork Chops That Make You Crazy

1/2 c flour

2 1/4 t. salt

2 t. paprika

1 t. white pepper

1/4 t. onion powder

1/2 t. garlic powder

1/2 t. dried thyme

1/2 t. red pepper

8 center cut pork chops

2 T. oil

Heat oven to 200 degrees.

In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together all ingredients except chops and oil. One at a time dredge 4 of the chops thoroughly in the flour mixture, coating both sides evenly, and shaking off any excess. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat 1 T. of the oil until just smoking. Add the 4 coated chops and cook for 5 minutes, turning once. Reduce the heat to medium a d cook another 2 minutes turning once. Transfer the chops to oven safe plate and place in oven to keep warm.

Repeat the dredging and cooking with the remaining 4 chops and using the remaining tablespoon of oil.

I served with creamed spinach, and green beans.