Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: What's cooking in your home in July 2019?

@mousiegirl  You are welcome anytime. I 'm not going to make a big thing about cutting the zucchini but I thought it was interesting that the flour goes on and then you put on the eggs. Never did it that way in a big bowl only dip and end with flour.

Have a nice Sunday evening.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Keybra wrote:

@mousiegirl  You are welcome anytime. I 'm not going to make a big thing about cutting the zucchini but I thought it was interesting that the flour goes on and then you put on the eggs. Never did it that way in a big bowl only dip and end with flour.

@Keybra   My batter was too thick to dip so I tossed everything with my hands, lol, but it worked.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Keybra wrote:

@Keybra   Mybatter was too thick to dip so I tossed everything with my hands, lol, but it worked.

After I washed the zucchini, I sliced it in short vertical slices, put seasoning in the flour, added the eggs,tossed, and fried.

Honored Contributor

Tonight we had ham and cheese on roasted garlic ciabatta and baked beans.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,

Zucchini is not a favorite here, just squash, and I prefer to fry the tender small to medium squash.   I would suggest trying another batch and just do one dip into egg and a little milk, then into a dry mix of equal cornmeal and flour, salt and pepper, and straight into the hot skillet.   The coating will not be thick.   

The squash come out of the skillet onto paper towels, and I do not stack the squash rounds, because the heat softens them and ruins the texture.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@mousiegirl,

Zucchini is not a favorite here, just squash, and I prefer to fry the tender small to medium squash.   I would suggest trying another batch and just do one dip into egg and a little milk, then into a dry mix of equal cornmeal and flour, salt and pepper, and straight into the hot skillet.   The coating will not be thick.   

The squash come out of the skillet onto paper towels, and I do not stack the squash rounds, because the heat softens them and ruins the texture.

@RedTop   When you say squash, zucchini is a squash, what squash in particular do you fry?   I use cornstarch, should have this time also, but I will experiment.

Honored Contributor

these past few weeks we've been eating out -- celebrating bdays with company & friends.  In fact, some days it's been Jersey Mike hoagies or chinese.   Honestly, I am not keen on eating out whether it's a nice diner or fancy restaurant. (My friends never cook so they wanted to go out.)

I decided wanted to some good home cooked food. I made fresh sauce (gravy) oh the house smelled so good.  Meatballs & sausage  for the sauce.  Then thought, geez gnocchi sounds good😋😋

Today I made gnocchi with enough to freeze for another time.  

Nice weather returns and so does his golf schedule so I guess I'll be enjoying that great meal alone -- he doesn't eat italian food or big dinners on golf days!  Oh well, more for me😉 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,

Yellow crook-neck squash is what I’m referring to.   The one credit I readily give to my MIL is that she got my girls to eat fried squash by telling them they were squash cookies.   The girls could eat them as fast as she could fry them.   Cornmeal is the key to the right coating.   

Respected Contributor

Eating fried squash is a Southern thing - I believe. Was torn and raised in the South and we fried a lot of veggies. Yellow squash with onions is a fav, also the white squash - hard to find these days where I live - is also fried but it is dipped in a batter.  Very good! /Got all my grands eating fried veggies.

Yesterday was a horribly muggy day here in Sou Cal - am tired of that muggy stuff. For lunch/dinner yesterday I fixed orange chicken with fried bell peppers, onions, broccoli and potatoes. Great meal and super easy to fix.

Have a good day everyone.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. hot and humid again today but we did go in pool today. maria made a big pan of macaroni and cheese. it was very good.winifred i never seen white squash. hope everyone has a great week.