Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking in your home in July 2019?

Last night was fried fish with a topping of cannelloni beans, vinegar, tomatoes, red onion, and herbs from the garden.  I season the fish with a salt free seasoning bought at Costco, then lightly coat in corn starch and fried until crispy, quickly.

Nice less hot day today, will be taking pups for a nail clipping, already watered this morning, becoming very boring, hours of hand watering, but must be done.

Have a great weekend!

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl - why do you have to hand water? I  have to  some but not much at all. I have sprinklers for the back yard so that just takes time moving them. Rest of the lawn is on sprinklers - thank goodness. The trick is to say a prayer they stay working and that no one has chopped of a head or two with the mower - that happens all too often. Grrr. I cannot repair them so every time I have to have John come out - Usually close to $100 each trip and that is frequently once a month - have had it more depending on who is mowing.

Not sure what for dinner - suppose to be real muggy today. Sigh. Will come up with something no much, if any, cooking is required.

Have a great day everyone.

Super Contributor

Going to make some chicken and corn with potatoes for me and DH tonight. Strawberry shortcake for desert.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winifred wrote:

Mousiegirl - why do you have to hand water? I  have to  some but not much at all. I have sprinklers for the back yard so that just takes time moving them. Rest of the lawn is on sprinklers - thank goodness. The trick is to say a prayer they stay working and that no one has chopped of a head or two with the mower - that happens all too often. Grrr. I cannot repair them so every time I have to have John come out - Usually close to $100 each trip and that is frequently once a month - have had it more depending on who is mowing.

Not sure what for dinner - suppose to be real muggy today. Sigh. Will come up with something no much, if any, cooking is required.

Have a great day everyone.

@Winifred   I have no lawn, and a lot is in pots which dry out almost daily.  I use a sprinkler attached to a hose on one area, no sprinkler system.  We used to have the roses on drips, but that deteriorated over time, am now having DH reinstate them on one area of roses, so boring to have to deep soak by hand so many.  I still manage to keep under the monthly allotment of water here.

Honored Contributor

Supper tonight was pigs in a blanket, fried potatoes, sliced yellow tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, and onions.   

Honored Contributor

Cube steak, gravy, mashed potatoes, pea salad, sliced yellow tomatoes, and biscuits will be our dinner today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found a recipe online for Nonna's Batter Fried Zucchini, so I made them, but did not go through all of the steps as they seemed unnecessary.  After I removed them from the pan, I sprinkled Gruyere cheese on top so it would melt a teeny bit, and salted them, and this is all we ate for dinner, lol.  The flour and eggs batter was a bit heavy, so next time, I will cut it with corn starch, as I do for fried chicken, makes the best crispy light crust, looks thick but tastes light.  This is the online picture and they looked just like this.

Nonna's Batter Fried Zucchini

Tonight, will be the mixed meat Restelli's beef burgers for DH, and salad, I will have bruschetta, too hot to eat anything heavy.

My girl pup has been sick this past week, so am administering two meds, one for pain, and a powder and a spray in two areas, one applied on a wet area, the other only on a dry area, and she is wearing a collar to keep her from licking the area, won't walk with the collar, and hardly does her business which I have to carry her to do outside, but this morning, she was very lovey dovey with me, hasn't been for at least three days, so she must feel better.

Super Contributor

That looks great @mousiegirl . When I go shopping this week I will make them.

I also have to remember cube steak (thanks @RedTop ) which I have been dying for.

Tonight we are having rib eye , scalloped potatoes, green beans and salad. Black raspberry ice cream for desert with Tate's chocolate chip cookies.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone. winifred  what do you put on your banana sandwich beside banana?  i like a peanutbutter and banana sandwich. i just put the 2 things on it. hot down here like 90 and muggyness is starting to build up today for a hot week.we went to my brothers house yestauday and had burgers hotdogs macaroni salad and corn on the cob. when they were about to cook outside on the grill it started pouring so they just cooked inside. today we ate downstairs with anna and some of there family. we had pasta made with a cauliflower sauce, salad, tomato salad with garden tomatos and other stuff, potatoes and sweet potatoes roasted in the oven,stuffed mushrooms,ribs,potato and string bean salad,fresh italian bread and fruit and chcolate. all was very good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Keybra wrote:

That looks great @mousiegirl . When I go shopping this week I will make them.

I also have to remember cube steak (thanks @RedTop ) which I have been dying for.

Tonight we are having rib eye , scalloped potatoes, green beans and salad. Black raspberry ice cream for desert with Tate's chocolate chip cookies.

@Keybra   I'll be over for dinner tonight, lol, sounds delicious!  I haven't seen blackberry ice cream, but would love it.