Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking in your home in July 2019?

[ Edited ]

Last night I fixed a pork ribeye for DH along with salad and naan.  For myself, I grilled the naan, also for DH, and made a mix of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt and cracked pepper, then added fresh mozzarella and spread it on the naan, great!  I felt drunk afterward so satisfied was I, lol.

Tonight, don't know yet, probably pasta for DH.

Wednesday night will be potstickers, easy, since I will have been cooking all day for Thursday, which will be ribs in the smoker, potato salad and slaw, maybe some stuffed eggs also.  Friday no cooking as DH goes to a game.

My green beans are up having only planted them a week and a half or so ago, and tomatoes are on the vines yet to turn red.The two pepper plants I bought that were labeled black, which I assumed would be bells, are tiny chile looking peppers so don't know what I have yet, until I taste them.  They began black but are now green.

@pooki1  How does your garden grow?

Trusted Contributor

No cooking tonight.  Met a friend for dinner after my late afternoon appointment -we hadn’t gotten together for months.  Went to a neighbourhood French restaurant, it was prix fixe night. 3 courses.

Mixed green salad with Cabernet-poached pears, blue cheese & candied walnuts.  Salmon & scallops with creamy leek sauce, fingerling potatoes and green beans. I chose mousse au chocolat for dessert (rich but, I still finished it all!) and my friend had tarte  tatin.  Very nice evening. 

Respected Contributor

July 4th will be upon us tomorrow - the time sure flies as I get older. Guess there is some kind of connection???!!!

Looks like most are eating well - that is always good. Have some eggs cooked and ready to fix Deviled eggs later today when I can find a few minutes. Have no clue about tomorrow - family is so split nowadays and past couple holidays I cooked and no one showed. Hmn. That is no fun and really too difficult in the first place. May just fix myself a hotdog - that makes sense to me. Now that I have made this big speech, someone will show up. LOL. At least I always have extra "dogs" in the freezer and buns. LOL.

I hope all have a great day tomorrow and let us all remember it is not a holiday per se  it is a great day in history for so many people.

Eat well!

Honored Contributor

Making pulled beef for street tacos, in my Instant Pot,a lemon orzo salad and that yummy Mexican street corn salad that was posted in recipes very recently!! all for the 4th!!

Esteemed Contributor

I use my grill and crockpot a lot in the summer. I try not to heat up the oven at all. 

Respected Contributor

Hot dogs, pulled beef, corn on the cob and deviled eggs. NOPE, I am not cooking it, David and his Dad, Big Dave are doing it. Yippee!! Ice cream to top it off. Hope all had a great day. Happy Birthday USA!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. mousiegirl. garden is doing very good. my mil has been putting down alot of hot pepper you cook with and it has been keeping ground hogs away.4th of july was just the 3 of us. we had steak, shrimp,potato salad,fennel salad,baked and breaded zucini,shrimp and rice salad and not sure what else.leftovers last night and leftover paul bunion burgers with crumbles bacon and cooked mushrooms inside a stuffed with cheddar cheese and french fries on the side.all very good.its been hot and humid for a couple days.hope everyone has a great weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone. mousiegirl. garden is doing very good. my mil has been putting down alot of hot pepper you cook with and it has been keeping ground hogs away.4th of july was just the 3 of us. we had steak, shrimp,potato salad,fennel salad,baked and breaded zucini,shrimp and rice salad and not sure what else.leftovers last night and leftover paul bunion burgers with crumbles bacon and cooked mushrooms inside a stuffed with cheddar cheese and french fries on the side.all very good.its been hot and humid for a couple days.hope everyone has a great weekend.

@Pooky1   Do you mean red pepper flakes for the groundhogs?  someone on another thread is having a problem with them.

Your meal sounds fantastic, so much variety.

Honored Contributor

I didn't make a slaw, so we had ribs and potato salad, sliced tomatoes also for DH, I was too full.

I fixed fresh strawberries and whipped cream, I made too much of that, and I ate too much of that.  I just googled the calories in one cup of fluid heavy whipping cream, WOW, it's a wonder I can even walk today, LOL.

I will probably eat ribs for dinner tonight, no cooking.  DH and I gardened all day yesterday, accomplished quite a bit, but there is always a ton to do.

Usually, we hear fireworks for days or longer before the 4th, but none this year until 9:00 which we could hear in the far distance, such a relief, pups did very well, but the male had a very concerned look on his face when they began so reassured him that he wasn't alone.

Respected Contributor

Have some leftover chicken so will have chicken noodle soup with grilled cheese sandwiches tonight.