Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking for April 2018 = = = = =

I froze so much ham that I literally think we could eat some variation of it all month. I will switch things up on Friday and make a rice, mushroom and chicken dish. There is a limit as to how much ham I can eat in a week🐖🐷!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntGwrote:

I froze so much ham that I literally think we could eat some variation of it all month. I will switch things up on Friday and make a rice, mushroom and chicken dish. There is a limit as to how much ham I can eat in a week🐖🐷!

@AuntG  I am about to freeze a ton of ham leftover from Sunday.  I slice it and put serving sizes in freezer bags for sandwiches and to fry for breakfast, DH, or dinner.  It freezes so well and lasts a long time.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1wrote:

danky mrs pooky. how funny is that. she was exspecting to come home today but nope shes still in hospital.  i didnt go to hospital until late because she didnt want me to drive to north providence when it was snowing.she very down and discused.she hasnt eaten since thursday night. i ran out and got her french frys chicken tenders and a garden salad. and i got hot weineys. anna my mother inlaw sent me up a half of a asparagus fratada.. really good. hope everyone has a good week. and i can tell im tired because i cant spell at all right now.

@Pooky1-----I thought that Maria might become disgusted and blue given the ordeal she has been dealing with.....once she gets settled into the comfort and security of your home , hopefully today , she should feel better.

Now this is not a threat but if you don't provide me with a 1/2 dozen of Coney Island Wienies from Olneyville Wieners (all the way,please) you will never see your washer and dishwasher again...they will simply disappear in the middle of the night! And since you'll be out anyway, a couple of orders of fish&chips from Ye Olde English in Woonsocket (malt vinegar on the side)

Could you meet me in Watch Hill ?

Esteemed Contributor

@Dankywrote:

@Pooky1wrote:

danky mrs pooky. how funny is that. she was exspecting to come home today but nope shes still in hospital.  i didnt go to hospital until late because she didnt want me to drive to north providence when it was snowing.she very down and discused.she hasnt eaten since thursday night. i ran out and got her french frys chicken tenders and a garden salad. and i got hot weineys. anna my mother inlaw sent me up a half of a asparagus fratada.. really good. hope everyone has a good week. and i can tell im tired because i cant spell at all right now.

@Pooky1-----I thought that Maria might become disgusted and blue given the ordeal she has been dealing with.....once she gets settled into the comfort and security of your home , hopefully today , she should feel better.

Now this is not a threat but if you don't provide me with a 1/2 dozen of Coney Island Wienies from Olneyville Wieners (all the way,please) you will never see your washer and dishwasher again...they will simply disappear in the middle of the night! And since you'll be out anyway, a couple of orders of fish&chips from Ye Olde English in Woonsocket (malt vinegar on the side)

Could you meet me in Watch Hill ?

I grew up in North Providence!  And still go to Olneyville for weiners!!

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirlwrote:

@AuntGwrote:

@AuntG  I am about to freeze a ton of ham leftover from Sunday.  I slice it and put serving sizes in freezer bags for sandwiches and to fry for breakfast, DH, or dinner.  It freezes so well and lasts a long time.

@mousiegirl-----I don't usually buy a whole/half ham because I didn't realize it could be frozen without altering the taste or texture. I love it but I get sick of it fairly quickly. I'm hoping I can still get a good sale price.

I do what @AuntG does and boil down the bone to make a broth. I then refrigerate overnight and skim off the fat. I sauté diced onions , carrots and celery before I add the broth and split peas. Do you do the same thing only using hocks ?

Respected Contributor

@nana59-------jealousy thy name is Danky !

Pooky lives in Cranston, I was born and grew up in New England but every summer for 60+ years has been spent in Westerly. I know most of RI like the back of my hand.....even Block Island to where we boated almost every day of my childhood and still do 2-3 times a week.

I love, love, love Coney Island wieners but have never found them ( or whole belly clams and clam cakes) anywhere to compare with my beloved RI.

Honored Contributor

@Dankywrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@AuntGwrote:

@mousiegirl-----I don't usually buy a whole/half ham because I didn't realize it could be frozen without altering the taste or texture. I love it but I get sick of it fairly quickly. I'm hoping I can still get a good sale price.

I do what @AuntG does and boil down the bone to make a broth. I then refrigerate overnight and skim off the fat. I sauté diced onions , carrots and celery before I add the broth and split peas. Do you do the same thing only using hocks ?

@Danky  I cook the ham hock(s) one bag peas, one half or small hock, as I don't want a really intense smoky flavor, in the slow cooker.  When that is done, I remove and set aside.  I then skim for bits and use the paper towel method that I mentioned to remove the fat.  I then add the carrots, potatoes, and peas.  when that is cooked, I add just the meat from the hock, having removed the skin and bone after cooled.  I find the hock gives a much better flavor to the soup but taste is individual.  I have some hocks in the freezer now, so may make another batch before the weather really heats up, now, the days are warm, and the nights are cool. 

I would think that cubed ham could be added to many soups, at the last minute, or a hash made with it.

I happen to use the Kirkland flatish ham, not heavily smoked, and light meat, so tender, love it fried also, there goes what is left of my waistline, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Dankywrote:

Pooky lives in Cranston, I was born and grew up in New England but every summer for 60+ years has been spent in Westerly. I know most of RI like the back of my hand.....even Block Island to where we boated almost every day of my childhood and still do 2-3 times a week.

I love, love, love Coney Island wieners but have never found them ( or whole belly clams and clam cakes) anywhere to compare with my beloved RI.

@nana59  @Danky  You are making me so hungry with your posts, lol, everything sounds so good.  If I lived in a state where the lobster and shellfish were abundant right from there, I would be a happy clam. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirlwrote:

@Dankywrote:

@nana59  @Danky  You are making me so hungry with your posts, lol, everything sounds so good.  If I lived in a state where the lobster and shellfish were abundant right from there, I would be a happy clam. Smiley Happy

Born and brought up in RI....have lived here all my life, with the exception of moving to Mississippi for a year when my husband attended pilot training school for the military....that was quite an experience....fyi-i hate fish and i've never been to westerly!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59wrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@Dankywrote:

Born and brought up in RI....have lived here all my life, with the exception of moving to Missisippi for a year when my husband attended pilot training school for the military....that was quite an experience....fyi-i hate fish and i've never been to westerly!!

@nana59  Lol, always the way.  I bet Mississippi was something. Smiley Happy