Respected Contributor

What's cooking for April 2018 = = = = =

What's cooking for April 2018 - and it sure got here fast. Times seems to really fly these days.

Had a great ham for the big meal on Friday - today had leftovers as we did yesterday. That ham was - and is - so good - I believe I mentioned tI got it at Aldi's. We had a brunch at church - not a special meeting, we met at our normal service time, had some music, we ate, had a shorter than usual sermon but really good one and we left to come home. The entire thing lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes - not bad at all!!!!!

Preds I saw you visited here - come on back more often lady - you put the jazz in this thread for us. Red Top, hope you and yours enjoyed your quiet day.

Getting dark but even with it being Easter I did get two loads of clothing done. Now to fold and hang and then put up

Respected Contributor

Re: What's cooking for April 2018 = = = = =

[ Edited ]

Even though on general principle I stay away from threads without "jazz",

I'll make an exception this time........LOL

Well, I had a nice surprise yesterday when family members appeared at my door with ham, sweet potato soufflé, mashed potatoes, buttered corn, green bean casserole and hot rolls.......it was absolutely delicious ! 

I went out earlier this a.m. and the roads were the worst they have been all winter. Growing up in New England ,I have become very accustomed to driving in adverse conditions but I always am concerned about the other guy . My Dad had two rules before we were allowed to get a license.......we had to know how to drive ANYTHING and we had to be able to drive in any weather. Since I still winter in Vermont, those abilities have served me well......

I hope Mrs @pooky comes home today. 

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday........ ETA--- with all the talk about rib eye, that's what I will have for dinner if I have one in the freezer. If not, I think I will make shrimp scampi over pasta...either way a win/win.

Dry sea scallops are on sale this week for $12.99/lb.....going to pick some up tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Still just the 2 of us here enjoying the peace and quiet.   I’m fixing slaw dogs and baked beans for our supper.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTopwrote:

Still just the 2 of us here enjoying the peace and quiet.   I’m fixing slaw dogs and baked beans for our supper.   

@RedTop----I could eat at your house every night. I don't think you have ever made a meal that I didn't like.

My dinner plans changed when I had an unexpected visitor,this afternoon,

who brought Chinese food.....wonton soup, egg roll, pepper steak and Pork lo mein. Very good....

Honored Contributor

@DankyIt seems people are regularly surprising you with food...nice!.i am usually surprised by people looking for food.

Respected Contributor

@dexwrote:

@DankyIt seems people are regularly surprising you with food...nice!.i am usually surprised by people looking for food.

@dex-----I never really thought of it but I think you are right.

On Easter, some of my family thought I was staying home because of missing my DH...that wasn't the case but I didn't mind the concern or the food.

Today my BF brought the Chinese...He spent Easter with his kids, as well he should, but was missing me.....He would never expect me to cook for him unless I volunteered. 

I'm a pretty lucky girl !

BTW--- when my DH died, people sent food and food and more food. It was a gesture that I was unfamiliar with but I came to understand that it was not uncommon. At first I thought that people/friends were doing it because my DH was an executive chef and they thought I would starve to death without him.......LOL

Respected Contributor

danky mrs pooky. how funny is that. she was exspecting to come home today but nope shes still in hospital.  i didnt go to hospital until late because she didnt want me to drive to north providence when it was snowing.she very down and discused.she hasnt eaten since thursday night. i ran out and got her french frys chicken tenders and a garden salad. and i got hot weineys. anna my mother inlaw sent me up a half of a asparagus fratada.. really good. hope everyone has a good week. and i can tell im tired because i cant spell at all right now.

Honored Contributor

Used up that big old ham bone to make a pot of split pea soup. That's my least favorite soup but I need to use the ham bone in some recipe.

Honored Contributor

@AuntGwrote:

Used up that big old ham bone to make a pot of split pea soup. That's my least favorite soup but I need to use the ham bone in some recipe.

@AuntG  Have you ever used a ham hock for split pea soup and added diced carrots and potatoes?  I find it is the hock which gives the soup it's delicious flavor once the fat and bits from the hock are skimmed, and the meat shredded and put back in the soup.  

Honored Contributor

Well, it only took me three days this time to realize that there was an April thread, lol, getting better though.

My Easter meal changed a bit, ham, scalloped potatoes and peas.  We gardened all day, and decided to forego the biscuits or corn bread for the potatoes.

The carrot cake wasn't a carrot cheesecake, it had buttercream filling and frosting, very good.

Last night was spaghetti, and tonight will be steak tacos with leftover steak from Saturday night.

I think the rest of the week will be leftovers, ham, steak sandwiches, pasta.

Hope everyone enjoys the week. Smiley Happy