Respected Contributor

What's cooking cooking this November?

Omg. I just came on here to write and I realized I totally forgot to start the cooking page for November.  Its cold cloudy and raw here in ri. This week Ria made a very good chicken noodle soup and today she made shaved steak broccoli mushrooms with brown gravy and in one pan .allso very good. before her surgery she had cut enough veggies  be able to make soup twice so it would be easier for me. I got chicken boiled add broth going but she wanted to make it. And today I said I would cook but she wanted to. She still don't feel good but she wanted to cook anyway. Yestauday I made my first homemade coconut angel cake with meringue frosting and it got coconut sprinkled over it and powdered sugar. It came out really good.hope everyone has a great month of November. My mom always said when you reach a certain age time really starts going by fast.this year it has started. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking cooking this November?

The other day, I made a small ham so I had leftovers to use up.  Sunday I made a Ham, Broccoli & Cheese Casserole.  Tonight we're eating the last of the casserole and a small tossed salad.  

Respected Contributor

Good to hear that Maria is doing some cooking. It has to be a sign she is slowly recuperating. Cool but dry weather here. Not feeling up to snuf yet but pain is not as intense. I had some chili in the freezer. With onions, cheese & Fritos for topping & corn muffins we'll enjoy a comforting dinner. Enjoy this beautiful Fall weather with tasty meals!
Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 

It may help her put aside her pain by distracting herself making things, so if she wants to do it, let her!

She knows that if she runs outta steam and she needs you to help or takeover, you gladly will!

Your coconut angel cake with meringue sounds awesome!

Save me a piece, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

"I just came on here to write and I realized I totally forgot to start the cooking page for November."

That's okay! I'm not making anything until tomorrow -- chicken w/ stuffing and carrots on the side.

Do you all cook every day?!!

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 

Didn't the meringue break off the angel food cake?   I would think it would just peel off.

Respected Contributor

Today we dined on instant ribs finished off in the oven with BBQ sauce and corn on the cob - amazing!!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

"I just came on here to write and I realized I totally forgot to start the cooking page for November."

That's okay! I'm not making anything until tomorrow -- chicken w/ stuffing and carrots on the side.

Do you all cook every day?!!

@Harpa  Usually,  yes. For dinners, sometimes we'll have a casserole that makes multiple servings so we have leftovers another night.  When we have grilled steak or chicken breast, I'll make enough so we can have some on a big dinner salad another night.  Once in awhile we'll order pizza - we only eat the tops and I'll make a small salad to go along with it..

Lunches, we each do our own thing.  DH usually pulls something together from what's easily available; sausage & cheese, keto granola w/almond milk, yogurt w/berries and granola, egg salad.  I do some of those things too, but I will often cook my lunch as well; an omelet with some kind of roasted vegetable, a salad, bacon. & eggs.  I always have hard boiled eggs on hand.  We each eat one everyday at lunch regardless of what else we're eating, except if it's eggs in another form. 

Respected Contributor

Not so far frosting is still on the cake. I put 6 egg whites, a cup and a half of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. It was more of a foamy frosting. As it chilled in the fridge it got stiffer. And really good.

Respected Contributor

I made (beef) Shepherd's Pie tonight.  It took *quite* a while to prepare (lots of standing), but it was very good.  Next time I make it, I think I'll use more shortcuts (instant mashed potatoes, etc.).

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!