Valued Contributor

Re: What's cooking at your house this January?

JLF, I am from Kosciusko county. Most areas have received over a foot of snow and it has been blowing so drifting too.

I really don't mean to gloat, just hard to imagine weather that bad while here in Florida. But, honestly, I am glad not to be there. spix you be careful out there. Glad the car started and hope your tooth is fixed.

We had left over pork chops reheated with eggs this morning. I told Nelson I'm serving him an unusual breakfast but he said fine with him. He is so easy to live with. But he also can't cook, so he eats whatever I feed him!

Honored Contributor

On 1/6/2014 Soushi24 said:

JLF, I am from Kosciusko county. Most areas have received over a foot of snow and it has been blowing so drifting too.

I really don't mean to gloat, just hard to imagine weather that bad while here in Florida. But, honestly, I am glad not to be there. spix you be careful out there. Glad the car started and hope your tooth is fixed.

We had left over pork chops reheated with eggs this morning. I told Nelson I'm serving him an unusual breakfast but he said fine with him. He is so easy to live with. But he also can't cook, so he eats whatever I feed him!

Shortly after I posted, Kosciusko and Cass went RED. Wells is currently the only hold out. Enjoy that sunshine, Soushi!

Respected Contributor

Had oatmeal for breakfast and a BIG avocado with garlic crackers for lunch - well, it all tasted good to me.

Will be warming up the rest of the collards shortly and also eat some more blackeyed peas. Then I will finally put what is left in the freezer - they will taste good later on.

Our weather is certainly not cold except at nights and it is literally freezing but the days have been heavenly - temp wise. Winds are not good however. We are really hurting for some rain, however. We have been on red flag alert for some time - and yes, the winds are very strong. Everything is completely dry out here and that spooks me out. I am terrified of these fires that happen here all too often.

Decided to check on Stripes about 1 this morning and he almost knocked me over to get in the house. I did pick up his food bowl and he did not have that to munch on and then disappear again. He was in Thursday night, and while I saw him off and on on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, he ran from me every time I opened the door. Actually he spent most of the time elsewhere and not in this yard - so strange. Anyway, when I went out to check he came busting in and was all lovey dovey the rest of the night and for a couple hours in the morning. Put him out when I went to Curves and he was ready to come back in. Brought him in and had to run errands about 1 in the afternoon and I have not seen him since. So strange. Shortly will pick up his food bowl again. It just is NOT his norm to act so spooky with me. Sigh. Am hoping he will give up and come on in shortly - although I have no clue where he is.

Tomorrow morning the hair dresser - sure need all the help I can get and then in the afternoon have my annual checkup with the eye surgeon who did my cataracts. Wednesday is the old people's luncheon at church and ThursdayI will take a friend to her pulmonary MD for a checkup. She is capable of driving herself but has trouble managing her oxygen container - she is NOT doing well at all. Am concerned about her. She will actually drive but am going along as moral support and to help her get her oxygen out of the car and then back in it.

Id2, soup sounds mighty good - and everyone else stay warm!!! That Soushi si having 80 degree weather in Florida but my Sis and BIL are having cold weather in Florida - must be a message in that. They are from Michigan and went 6 days with no power. Eventually they will ahve some warmer weather however.

Take care everyone!Just went out to check on STripes - there he was waiting at the door to come in - unbelievable! Needless to say he is in for the night.

Honored Contributor

Wishing you all a warm, cozy, safe and blessed day.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

And a Good Morning to all my friends here, predsfan's pix says it all

Well no good news on the dental front, molar is cracked all the way down, needs to be pulled, so looking up oral surgeons & will have to get that over with, the tooth next to it needs a root canal & a crown, so he says, well I think I'll have that one pulled also, mega $$$$ for these procedures

Winifred good news about Stripes, hope this is it, he knows he has a loving home with you. Nice of you to help your friend I'm sure she appreciates all you do. Hoping the rain comes your way.

Weather here is getting a little better, but lo & behold went out this am for O'Hare, car would not start, started fine yesterday & it was colder then, I'll wait awhile & try again, as I'm sure AAA is not going to make it anytime soon

Take Care

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning all,

spix, did you have your battery tested? Just wondering, this extreme cold weather is hard on batteries. Sorry about those teeth. And, yes, it is expensive but, you need them.

Winifred, how's that Stripes? He is an interesting character. Keeps your life hopping. Hope the hairdresser appointment goes well. I always have such high hopes! Never like how they style it. Come home and re-comb it.

And, Predsfan, you always surprise me in the morning with your pictures. Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

Had a massage and facial yesterday. Love this little place I go to and the prices are so reasonable. Not sure what to do as this is the second time from different massage people that I've heard that my leg muscles are way to tight. Yesterday she said they are like wood. Not sure what I should do, what type of exercises that would help.

Just used up leftovers last night for dinner. We had several take out boxes so it was a collection of things. I had left over rotisserie chicken, cheese and celery. Had watermelon for dessert.

Enjoy the day.

Respected Contributor

Dan you believe that Stripes has been in two nights in a row now? I am very proud of him. He is still very jumpy but at least he has stopped running the minute I open the door to go outside. Still think he was in someone's home. Do know Don had two weeks off - he works for the school district - and he also really likes Stripes. Course he has about 10 other cats or so. Just cannot figure it out but will hope and pray he is a good boy again this evening. He is so funny as he has gotten so cuddly when inside - not much room for me in my bed any more. LOL. A dog and two cats. Have never had to sleep with critters before although Miss Blackie did start getting up on my bed some years back - she was bad enough but now I have to deal with two others.

Luncheon today at the church and I don't get home from that until after 2 so I usually do not fix anything for dinner. Had my eye appointment yesterday and he is going to zap my left eye - said the film over it is not good but not to worry, it is a quick event and no big deal. My eyes have driven me crazy this past year - they have always been sensitive to light, winds, etc but it has been miserable. Perhaps that is part of the problem. He says it sometimes happens after cataract surgery and he was surprised I had not really complained about a vision problem as it was quite a film there. As far as I know I had no vision problems. LOL. So sometime in the next couple weeks I should hear something about getting it done. I just do NOT like MD visits of any kind but am sure it is necessary - and then in a couple weeks my annual check up.

Soushi, my sis and BIL are about an hour north ofTampa and she said last night they still have 41 degree weather there. Told them they could have stayed in Michigan for those temps. Anyway she said 80 degree temps were expected for the weekend.

Those 10 day antibiotics just did not help - knew they wouldn't. My congestion, etc is coming back. That MD would not budge and give me the ZPack - so here I go again. Three weeks of this is the pits!

We are getting a bit chilly out in Sou Cal - I know - we have had it great but sure need some rain. Rain is coming down from the North but the experts say the rain will completely disappear by the time that front arrives here. Figures. Also suppose to warm up again a bit in a few days.

Eat well and everyone stay warm - and dry.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning All ~
Things are getting back to normal here. After most of the state being in a RED state of emergency the last few days, those advisories are being downgraded to a mid-level status. Pretty much, roads are reopening, but it's a "travel at your own risk" type of thing and they're cautioning everyone to drive slowly and leave plenty of room between you and the guy in front of you. There are lots of reports of roads being sheets of ice, lots of accidents still happening.

Spix - sorry about the dental situation. It's always something, isn't it? I've been messing around with a replacement crown since before Thanksgiving. They can't seem to get the color right and neither the dentist or I will accept it until it's a match. No. 3 is supposed to be here tomorrow. Between, my DH, our DD, and me, I think our dentist has been able to go on some pretty nice vacations! LOL
This weather is really hard on car batteries. My DH's car was out in the elements for several days last week (in Chicago, north of downtown). When he went to start it, it was a little rough. Fortunately, he made it home, but over the weekend he tried again and that thing was deader than a doornail. He got a replacement at Auto Zone for $100. We can't complain though, that was the original battery and the car is like 7 yrs. old.

Win - I'm glad Stripes found his way home....hopefully he'll stay closer now, the stinker. About that congestion....is it just chest or is it in your nose, too? I know it sounds gross, but a neti pot really works to get that gunk out and let you breathe again.

Soushi - don't you just love a spa facial? Oh, they're so luxurious and relaxing. I used to get them a few times a year, but haven't for the last year or so. A couple of months ago, I switched to using an oil cleanser and I also use treatment oils on my face. Massaging them in is a little reminiscent of the facial experience. Years ago, my DH gave me a g/c for a deep tissue massage - holy moly, was that awful! I hurt for days afterward and felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck! Learned my lesson on that one, but enjoy the milder type.

I'm seeing my GYNE this morning. We'll be discussing my surgery and scheduling a date. I've been reading the hystersisters site - lots of good articles and helpful info there. I'm armed with my list of questions and have DH going with me. My sister said this is one appointment I do not want to go to alone - good to have another set of ears to take in all the info that could be overwhelming for one person. As for scheduling, the sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned. I finally made our Snow on a Mountain last night. It was good and there's plenty left for DH and I to have it again tonight.

Everyone have a good day today. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor