Valued Contributor

Re: What's Your Favorite Turkey Breast to Cook?

[ Edited ]

ECBG, I am going to try your grandmothers turkey seasoning! It sounds so good. Do you use ground marjorum or leaves?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG THANKS for the detailed recipe!  It sounds wonderful.

We always had an unusual dressing.  We always used 100 percent cornbread mixed with sauteed onions and celery.  We seasoned it with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Nothing else.  Now I use Paula Deen's house seasoning: 1/4 pepper; 1/4 garlic powder; 1/2 salt.

We used canned chicken broth and part or all of a can of Campbell's mushroom soup mixed in, sometimes with a tiny bit of dry sherry or Vermouth in it to cut the sweetness of the soup.  We poured that over the corn bread mix and put it in the oven.

No eggs, no sage.  It is so easy and to me so good!  I do not like very wet dressing with a lot of sage or other "stuff" in it.  It is supposed to be a carrier for gravy!  We also never made it inside the turkey because we didn't like that either.  Sometimes we did add mushrooms to the saute but not always.  

Some years we added pecans, sausage (cooked and crumbled) or cranberries or whatever, but everyone liked it "plain" best! 

It freezes great and it is still a quick go-to for chicken or turkey at our house. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Your stuffing sounds scrumptious.  You might add a little poultry seasoning.

Forgot to mention, I do get several cups of broth off of the breast which I add to the gravy.

It would be great if we could get together the night after and share!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We like Butterball bone-in turkey best. It seems to be better than the Honeysuckle brand.

We inject it with creole butter, put pats of butter under skin, rub down with olive oil & sprinkle on all the spices.

We usually make on the smoker or in the Nesco with roast air fan.