Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking this September 2020?

Hi @Pooky1! Great use of fresh garden tomatoes! We have a ton so looking to put them in everything. Enjoy the cool weather, happy eating & weekend!
Respected Contributor

Making beef stew with dumplings today. It's cool today so I thought the stew sounded good. Will also have some green tomato pickles also. My daughter makes them and I love them.

Honored Contributor

Stuffed pork chop with sweet potatoes today. Spaghetti and meatballs tomorrow. Fall is in the air. 

Honored Contributor

Liver and onions for me, fish for my husband, mac n cheese, and salad.
Respected Contributor

I have been eating good but nothing that would really thrill anyone else. For exampole, I fried some summer squash or white squash, what ever people now call it, and it was so yummy. Takes a while to cut ie, dip it in batter and then fry it and not as easy to do as it once was. LOL. Whatever is left over it makes great sandwiches - slop the ww bread with mayo and put a dash of salt and pepper on it and boy howdy. Really good. Had a few other weird things like that also this past week. Tonight? Veggies of course.

For lunch yesterday I did however go with my grand up the street to get their delicious chicken salad sandwich. So good - it is called cranberry chicken salad. very very different from the chicken salad I grew up with but it is sure good.

Hope all have a great day.

By the way, fires still going, and they are so nasty. The air has been solid smoke - 24 hours steady for over a week now. We lost a firefigfhter Thursday in the fire near me - so sad.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Threw together sweet potato hash, egg whites and broccoli slaw for a breakfast bowl this morning.

@Laura14 

What do you put in the sweet potato hash? You may have said before--sorry if I forgot but I really like sweet potatoes, and I really like inventing different kinds of hash. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Zucchini fritters.

I grated a zucchini and squeezed out the water--ended up with about a cup. I added about 2T each of flour and finaly shredded parmesan, a small shallot finely chopped, some herbs, S&P, 1 egg and 1T mayonnaise (real). The resulting batter is still mostly zucchini, but has protein from the egg and cheese. 

Just stirred it all together, added to a pan with a bit of olive oil, and browned/cooked on both sides like thick pancakes. Not more than about 5 minutes. I got about 3, 4" diameter fritters, and the recipe can easily be doubled or more. 

They turned out really delish--a nice surprise. I can think of a lot of variations in cheese, herbs or spices. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD I shred sweet potatoes and then throw them in a fryer pan on the stove in olive oil and cook them through.  I usually spice them with an Italian blend or sometimes tumeric. Easy and it works for anything I need it for: breakfast bowls, sides, soups, etc.

Honored Contributor

Swiss steak, mashed potatoes and corn for hubby and me today.   

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@KaySD I shred sweet potatoes and then throw them in a fryer pan on the stove in olive oil and cook them through.  I usually spice them with an Italian blend or sometimes tumeric. Easy and it works for anything I need it for: breakfast bowls, sides, soups, etc.

@Laura14 

Okay, so that sounds kinda like hash browns only with sweet potatoes. Did I get it? I like this idea. I bet my Kitchen Aid mixer grater attachment could handle a raw sweet potato. 

When you said hash, I was thinking more like several ingredients all cut in small-to-medium dice and sauteed together. Like, I make hash out of white potatoes, asparagus and radishes, all cut the same size.