Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in your 2016 New Y ear???

Awww, such a cute pix Preds - and a Happy Sunday to one and all.

We had leftovers and the kids for lunch had chicken noodle soup yesterday.Not bad. May fix hot dogs today - time will tell. I like mine grilled but it sure is cold outside to do that. Of course I may come up with something completely different but do know I do NOT want to do a lot of big time cooking - did enough of that Friday.

I cannot believe I did NOT eat any of my Perfection Salad I made Friday - that is a first for me. Forgot it was in the Fridge. Never fear, I will make  up for it today - but then it always goes so fast as when I make it I usually just keep eating it until it is gone - sure like it.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Awww, such a cute pix Preds - and a Happy Sunday to one and all.

We had leftovers and the kids for lunch had chicken noodle soup yesterday.Not bad. May fix hot dogs today - time will tell. I like mine grilled but it sure is cold outside to do that. Of course I may come up with something completely different but do know I do NOT want to do a lot of big time cooking - did enough of that Friday.

I cannot believe I did NOT eat any of my Perfection Salad I made Friday - that is a first for me. Forgot it was in the Fridge. Never fear, I will make  up for it today - but then it always goes so fast as when I make it I usually just keep eating it until it is gone - sure like it.

Hope all have a great day.

@Winifred  Is this your perfection salad, winifred, or does your's have olives in it?

Image result for perfection salad

Respected Contributor

That's pretty darn close. Here is the one my family has used for ages

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 3/4 cups water

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups cabbage, finely shredded

1 cup celery, chopped in small pieces

1/2 cup green pepper, chopped

2 slices pimientos (1 jar, drain and chop the pimientos or buy the diced or sliced ones, that is what I do)

Directions

In medium sauce pan soften gelatin in lemon juice; let stand 1 minute

over low heat, cook until gelatin dissolves

Add water, sugar, vinegar and salt, stir until sugar dissolves.

Chill until partially set.

Fold in remaining ingredients, pour into a container - I use an ancient Tupperware container - I( vaguely recall my grandmother using the regular gelatin molds, my Mother also but I do not have one so my ancient Tupperware works just fine)

Chill until set, about 3 hours or so - you can leave it overnight, no problem

Keep refrigerated.

MY family put a dollop of mayo on it when ready to eat - so do I - very very good!!!!!

Must add I ALWAYS double the recipe. Mercy me!!

Gotta run - my oh my, Ricky is kind of smelly. Geesh!!

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

1003584_644451689029540_8325328909770246345_n.jpg

Valued Contributor

Evening all,

Busy day, we went to the Senior Center to check out the offerings. What a great place! Amazing staff and very, very active group. We had lunch in their cafe, was delicous. Might take some classes and some day trips.

Stopped at two T.J. Max stores and Trader Joes. Dinner at home. Had a roast cooking slow all day in crockpot. Mashed potatoes and salad for sides. All good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bev, the Senior Center here in my town is in the next block. They are GREAT!!!! They serve SUPER lunches Mon thru Fri for $4. If you are an extra and not a senior you can still buy your lunch for $5 - not bad.

People are very nice and they offer many programs and services.

We were suppose to get rain today - so far nothing BUT do have a Flash Flood warning from today thru Friday. El Nina is hitting us I would guess = sure is cold outside.

Bagel Bites on the menu for tonight - been a busy day. had to go to counseling in Banning, then another appointment further down the road. I had to pick up a new prescription from my pulmonary guru but he will not be in his office until next week so they gave me an inhaler - thank you very much. Then stopped at Burger King to get Ricky something to eat. THEN got home and had to leave again in about 45 minutes for an appointment for the two little kiddies in Rialto. Geesh!! We spent over an hour there, Ricky got a flu shot and another one and the little one got 4 shots. Then had to pay a bill in San Bernardino and THEN had to stop at Home  Depot in Redlands to get a sealer - to repel water. As I told Betty, one cannot get business done in Sou Cal in ONE TOWN - have to toodle up and down the Freeway. Drives me nuts. Almost forgot, after dropping everyone off at the house I went to the store to get bananas, sliced apples for Ricky and tea for the teens. BEtter than sodas and they will drink it but much prefer the carbonated stuff - am beginning to get a bit irritated over how they inhale those thing. I have no problem with them having one a day but not 3 to 4 or 5. Enough is enough.

School back in session tomorrow - needless to say Davey is not thrilled but he has been soooooooooo bored it will be a good change for him. LOL>

Made a mistake in the price of the Senior Luncheon, it is $3 if you are a senior, not $4. Not a bad deal and like I mentioned it is good. You almost always have to make a reservatioin so they know how much to prepare.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning all,

Life is good. Sun is shinning. Had my coffee, cookies, and morning newspaper.

Have no idea what is for dinner but it will happen. I will get an inspiration...maybe.

Yesterday I was out for lunch and dinner. So will be eating at home tonight.

Hope all is well, enjoy the day.

Valued Contributor

Okay, just found this. Looks good, maybe tonight as I will be cooking steak.

Crispy Oven Roasted Parmesan Potatoes

Ingredients

6 Medium Potatoes, peeled

1 1/2 cups of Beef or Chicken Broth

2 Tablespoons of butter

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut the potatoes in 1 inch cubes and place in a bowl with the olive oil, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder then toss until the potatoes are well coated.

In a medium pot, pour the broth & butter together, bring to a simmer.

Add the coated potatoes in and bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes, stirring gently until slightly tender.

Transfer the potatoes to a baking dish with the broth/butter mixture, making sure the potatoes are not overlapping each other, spread them out into one layer.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese & gently mix to ensure they are all coated.

Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until browned and crisp.

Flip once with a spatula during cooking to ensure even crisping.

Remove the potatoes from the oven, season to taste & serve hot.