Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in September- already?

Mousiegirl, as much as I would love to grow veggies again, those days are gone. Due primarily to my old age and COPD AND gophers which run everything here. Use to grow tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, onions and several other veggies - including eggplant -  AFTER I retired. Just cannot do it any more. And now I have a one year old and 2 1/2 year old. Energy has long left me and just way too much work. My Dad taught me well but I have to give up. I lasted longer than he did however. Although we lost him at 90 - nope, not quite there yet - he just sat down one day about 80 and said "I have worked my entire life am doing nothing more." And he did not - Mother was soooooooooo frustrated with him but dementia had set in a bit and he did not budge. Just boom, am going to sit out the rest of my life. LOL.

Am tired - hope all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

Image result for happy saturday gifs

Happy October!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Mousiegirl, as much as I would love to grow veggies again, those days are gone. Due primarily to my old age and COPD AND gophers which run everything here. Use to grow tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, onions and several other veggies - including eggplant -  AFTER I retired. Just cannot do it any more. And now I have a one year old and 2 1/2 year old. Energy has long left me and just way too much work. My Dad taught me well but I have to give up. I lasted longer than he did however. Although we lost him at 90 - nope, not quite there yet - he just sat down one day about 80 and said "I have worked my entire life am doing nothing more." And he did not - Mother was soooooooooo frustrated with him but dementia had set in a bit and he did not budge. Just boom, am going to sit out the rest of my life. LOL.

Am tired - hope all had a great day.

@Winifred  I certainly understand the energy level it takes to raise little ones, especially at an older age. I was an older Mom, and my garden suffered for those years.  I miss the days when I could go from early morning to late at night, on my feet, lol, instead of going to bed at nine, just to rest my body as I don't fall asleep for hours, well maybe a little catnap. Smiley Happy  I can remember a year when I was baking and decorating christmas cookies until 11:00 pm, just had tons of energy.  Now, I have energy, but my body needs more rest than it used to.

We have gophers also, that's why the grow bags are great, or even a terra cotta pot, and I thought you could grow your squash, just a few plants will give you a lot, and would only take minutes to water, but of course that is up to you. Smiley Happy