Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in September- already?

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Baked my sister's birthday cake at 4am this morning.  I also haven't been sleeping well although I'm normally up early like that.  She wanted red velvet with cream cheese icing so that's what she got.  Baked a cake and now at work.  I feel like Supergirl today.  

I haven't posted a lot because I've either been eating a sweet potato or pasta.  I just seem to be really rushed lately after work and haven't prepped on Sunday except for my cucumber salad for lunch every day.    I keep waiting for the hot weather here to break so I can really get going on chili or soups.  I'm just not feeling it when it's still 90 degrees out.  

@Laura14  the cake sounds yummy!  I have never eaten red velvet cake, but I have made cream cheese frosting, so I can imagine. Smiley Happy

I may have mentioned that I bake a yam every three-four days for my pups, and I eat my share first, lol, love them, but I am the only family member who does, aside from the pups. Smiley Happy  How do you make your cucumber salad?

@mousiegirl Very easy.  I peel and cut up and deseed (I hate seeds!) four big cucumbers.  Toss with olive oil and red wine vinegar and the normal Italian spices and you have cucumber salad!

Now my grandparents actually made a real salad because they added in tomatoes.  I love tomato sauce.  I can not stomach a raw tomato.  It's not happening.  I'm a disgrace to my home state of New Jersey I know.  

But if you like tomatoes, cut them up and throw them in the bowl and you now have a real proper cucumber salad.  Smiley Happy 

@Laura14  My DD is exactly the same with tomatoes. Smiley Happy  I can take them or leave them usually, but this year I grew my own, as I have mentioned, and then I was popping them in my mouth every time I went into the garden. Smiley Happy  DH loves them in his salad, but Iusually only use mixed greens for salada, unless I make a composed salad.

The nly cucumber salad I have made is the Asian style, which I love, but I never think to do it very often.  I love them naked also. Smiley Happy

Last night, I chunked a tomato, added thinly sliced red onion, balsamic vinegar, parsley and salt/pepper and that was going to be it, but then decided I would toss it all with mixed greens.

@mousiegirl  You need your own cooking channel to show me how to make all this delicious stuff!!  Heart

Honored Contributor

I learned this on Food Network, and used to use it, but when it ran out, I forgot to make it again, but yesterday, I remembered.  1/4 cup of garlic powder and pepper, I buy the coarse ground at Costco, as my grinder makes larger pieces, and 1 cup of salt, I use Kosher.  this seasoning is great on anything.

I always find chicken needs a lot of seasoning, and salt and pepper just wasn't doing it.  Last night, I put some of this seasoning into the breading, the egg whites, and on the chicken, and the chicken came out so flavorful.

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl, yes, that IS the squash I was talking about. It seems so strange to me that it is almost non existent anymore - in this area however. I was told the bigger squash just did not sell but those of Spanish descent preferred the smaller ones and I have no clue what they are used for. By the way, had a squash sandwich today. LOL.

No planned dinner tonight.Suits me to a Tee.

Went to Sam's after making a heartbreaking run to the Humane Shelter - had to turn over the two youngest kitties - I have NO HELP with them and with the little two legged ones, etc it had become too difficult. Felt so very bad but at the same time I feel they need a place that is more serene. LOL. They have had all their shots, were chipped and so i gave the shelter their super nice carriers and super nice beds. I will miss them. About a year ago I lost my great big old macho Tabby,. Stripes - he got FIV. Then a couple months ago lost my adorable Scottie, now these two - only cantankerous Miss Blackie left. She is going to be so lonesome although she always loved Bailey, my Cocker and Conrad, the Scottie, a lot better than other kitties. She snuggled up to the doggies - NOT SO the cats.

Hope one and all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

Image result for happy thursday funny pics

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

LOVE YOUR PIX PREDS!!! Sure wish I could live that life today. Sigh.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

LOVE YOUR PIX PREDS!!! Sure wish I could live that life today. Sigh.

Me too @Winifred.  Someday maybe our dreams will come through!  LOL

Okay ... Maybe not, but at least we have our dreams.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Image result for happy friday pictures funny

Respected Contributor

Must have something to do with the day Friday. Seems last week's Friday came super fast - just like this one. LOL. Oh me, I need to start moving around I guess.

Have a good day and eat well - have not thought about food yet.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Mousiegirl, yes, that IS the squash I was talking about. It seems so strange to me that it is almost non existent anymore - in this area however. I was told the bigger squash just did not sell but those of Spanish descent preferred the smaller ones and I have no clue what they are used for. By the way, had a squash sandwich today. LOL.

No planned dinner tonight.Suits me to a Tee.

Went to Sam's after making a heartbreaking run to the Humane Shelter - had to turn over the two youngest kitties - I have NO HELP with them and with the little two legged ones, etc it had become too difficult. Felt so very bad but at the same time I feel they need a place that is more serene. LOL. They have had all their shots, were chipped and so i gave the shelter their super nice carriers and super nice beds. I will miss them. About a year ago I lost my great big old macho Tabby,. Stripes - he got FIV. Then a couple months ago lost my adorable Scottie, now these two - only cantankerous Miss Blackie left. She is going to be so lonesome although she always loved Bailey, my Cocker and Conrad, the Scottie, a lot better than other kitties. She snuggled up to the doggies - NOT SO the cats.

Hope one and all had a great day.

@Winifred  Many companies sell the seeds for the squash, Burpee, Eden Bros. both of which I have ordered seeds from, etc.  Zulily sells the grow bags, but so do many other companies, or maybe you have some large terra cotta pots, so maybe one day you will be picking your own. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor