Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in June 2018 - almost let it get by me - - - - -

@Winifred wrote:

1905salad, good luck on gaining weight. I have been trying to do that for a good year now and cannot seem to get very far. have on occasion taking to eating candy bars - something I rarely ever did - that has not worked either. The body sure controls things to a great extince doesn't it? I do hope you find the magic ingredient for you!

Today is suppose to be even hotter than yesterday and then guess what, temps will drop again. Just miserable yesterday but what can I say. This is Sou Cal.

Tonight will probably clean out the Fridge again - Leah is going to a friends for a couple days and it will only be Ricky here. Davey of course. Ricky is such a concern - no one has figured out what his problem is, just breaks my heart, /but will try and still find something magical for him. He LOVES some of those kids meals which you find in the baby section of the grocery store - cannot think of the brand name but they come in a yellow small box - have two ingredients. He is especially fond of the one with green beans - his favorite food - and pasta stars with a sauce similar to spaghetti - always wants two of those meals and I do not have a one here - he just loves them. He also loves to eat cut apples - boy does he.

Hope all have a great day and eat well everybody.

@Winifred  Maybe Ricky's problem is that he is confused, doesn't understand why he doesn't live with his Mother, etc.  Of course, he is too young, but children have feelings even they don't understand, but I bet this is a big part of it, and when he begins school, there will be issues at some point as kids are cruel, that never seems to change through the ages, never understood why.

Children from broken homes have issues, I know, as my parents were divorced when I was three, and I was emotionally and mentally distraught every time I would see my Daddy, as I called him, and he then left, my Mother couldn't console me as I would sob and scream, this takes it's toll.  I remember being very young in grade school and crying on the playground over my Daddy.

Honored Contributor

@1905salad wrote:

Winifred, I hope you're feeling well and today is a better day. I have been enjoying this same meal for at least a week now. It's a salad, fresh spinach...I bought a 5 pound bag, celery, carrots, scallions, jersey tomatoes, a variety of peppers, chick peas and grilled chicken...also I don't use dressing just pickle slices and the juice.  Normally my husband and I eat so differently, but he has been loving this ( he doesn't like pickles so he uses Thousand Island) . All I have been doing each day is grilling chicken breasts and chopping veggies for my meal prep.

I recently had a health scare, for 3 months every test on my bladder.. painful and scary. I just found out it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My insurance company doesnt cover a nutritionist, I'm doing my own research, I need to gain weight, every website says something different. Anyone know a thing about this? The doctor said to go to a nutritionist. 

@1905salad  Do you eat carbs and/or calorie high food?  I don't think one could gain weight eating salads even with lean meat.  I don't see you eating fat, which the body needs  I wish I had your problem, it is such an effort to see that I don't gain weight.  I am short, and have to practically eat like a mouse in order to lose weight which is after the Christmas holidays, always gain during that time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Winifred wrote:

1905salad, good luck on gaining weight. I have been trying to do that for a good year now and cannot seem to get very far. have on occasion taking to eating candy bars - something I rarely ever did - that has not worked either. The body sure controls things to a great extince doesn't it? I do hope you find the magic ingredient for you!

Today is suppose to be even hotter than yesterday and then guess what, temps will drop again. Just miserable yesterday but what can I say. This is Sou Cal.

Tonight will probably clean out the Fridge again - Leah is going to a friends for a couple days and it will only be Ricky here. Davey of course. Ricky is such a concern - no one has figured out what his problem is, just breaks my heart, /but will try and still find something magical for him. He LOVES some of those kids meals which you find in the baby section of the grocery store - cannot think of the brand name but they come in a yellow small box - have two ingredients. He is especially fond of the one with green beans - his favorite food - and pasta stars with a sauce similar to spaghetti - always wants two of those meals and I do not have a one here - he just loves them. He also loves to eat cut apples - boy does he.

@Winifred  Maybe Ricky's problem is that he is confused, doesn't understand why he doesn't live with his Mother, etc.  Of course, he is too young, but children have feelings even they don't understand, but I bet this is a big part of it, and when he begins school, there will be issues at some point as kids are cruel, that never seems to change through the ages, never understood why.

Children from broken homes have issues, I know, as my parents were divorced when I was three, and I was emotionally and mentally distraught every time I would see my Daddy, as I called him, and he then left, my Mother couldn't console me as I would sob and scream, this takes it's toll.  I remember being very young in grade school and crying on the playground over my Daddy.

@mousiegirl-----The feelings of abandonment, insecurity , depression and worthlessness that these children have ,control every aspect of their life.....Davey will continue to gain weight until he explodes (metaphorically) and, based on the description of his journey, I have very little hope for his future. 

They are way past the point where a caring, well intended great-grandmother can be their salvation. 

@Winifred------it is not my intent to be unkind or cruel to you ........but, these kids have virtually no chance at healthy, successful futures , given the current living conditions ,and THAT is truly heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Winifred wrote:

@mousiegirl-----The feelings of abandonment, insecurity , depression and worthlessness that these children have control every aspect of their life.....Davey will continue to gain weight until he explodes (metaphorically) and, based on the description of his journey, I have very little hope for his future. 

They are way past the point where a caring, well intended great-grandmother can be their salvation. 

@Winifred------it is not my intent to be unkind or cruel to you ........but, these kids have virtually no chance at healthy, successful futures.

@Danky  @Winifred  Do you think that therapy would help at all?    If nothing else, I think it could give them tools to be able to cope.  I wouldn't give up on children  who are so young.  I also think it has a lot to do with the makeup of a person.

My personality just so happens to be happy upbeat, fun, so this made me attractive, and no one, to this day, knows the suffering I have lived through, DH knows some, but somehow I was able to forge ahead.  Not having a Father does impact a girl in the self esteem department, didn't matter how many people told me I was beautiful, my Daddy wasn't there to verify that, and of course impacts a boy in that he has no role model as he grows into a man.

there is so much help nowadays that wasn't available eons ago, so hopefully, these children will get that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl----Based on the information that we have been provided,

it is my belief that the children should have been removed from their current environment "yesterday" and should be in therapeutic environments. The days of once a week therapy are long past. There appears to be no adult

control in the household and, of course, the fact that there is no positive male role model is huge. Add the facts, of which on varying levels they are aware, that their primary caregiver is elderly and in failing health.......this situation is abysmal.

The fact that you , in spite of your family issues, have ended up in a seemingly healthy and happy marriage says a lot about the strength you have .....the odds were against that happening.

ETA---------you had edited while I was posting so just saw your add-on.

I would not give up on children either but time is really running out for Davey. Every day is crucial at this point for each of them.

And, of course, you are spot on regarding your observations of the role of a Daddy in a girl's development. 

Respected Contributor

Well, lunch was an epic fail.....since I have been starving since yesterday, I decided to make a substantial lunch. Sautéed boneless chicken with stir fried veggies and a brown sauce .....it should have been yummy but it wasn't so now I am still hungry..PB&J here I come.........Dinner tonight ...

who knows ?

Honored Contributor

It was so hot last night, that i made a chicken salad, chicken, celery, and mayo, toasted some Italian crusty bread, put the chicken on top, open faced, and served it along with a salad to DH.

Tonight is a mystery right now, lol, will see what I come up with.

Valued Contributor

@Winifred,do you mind me asking how old are the grandchildren that you are caring for? They are lucky to have you.

Honored Contributor

We just enjoyed dinner from Taco Bell.  Fridge has no leftovers, and with no girls here, I see that as no need to cook.   

Respected Contributor

My two great great grandchildren are 2 1/2 and 4. My great grand is a 17 year old overweight pain in the neck - Davey. Never have seen anyone so lazy and he is about 100 pounds overweight. I do not have enough locked spaces to hide some of the food. His overall weight and habits bother me a great deal - his parents are not helpful at all.

Horribly hot today - had a hard time breathing.

I fixed some frozen dinners - well that is OK after a while.