Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in June 2018 - almost let it get by me - - - - -

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone and welcome sissel. we allways welcome new people. the more the merryer. very chilly this morning and exspecting alot of rain today. the garden will apprecate it.yestauday anna sent up pasta meatballs sausage oven roasted potatoes and ribs. all very good,  and last night for snack crackers and pepperoni and the end of the chocolate creme pie maria made friday.dany we have panara near us but have never trted it. they just opened a dairy queen but havnt gone there yet either. tonights dinner will be a pepperoni pizza and a side salad. hope everyone has a great week.

@Pooky1 Good Morning ! 48* outside and rainy..... The food that Anna sent up would keep me in business for a week. Bet she is a good cook....

There are people who are huge Panera lovers.....I am not one of them. 

I think they are overpriced with skimpy portions but, until I get to RI, there are very few places to get a lobster roll. They do offer a Tuesday special of 13 fresh bagels for $7.95 ,which I pick up occasionally, but largely I don't go. The soup was pretty good but at $6 a bowl I would normally make my own.

Now Dairy Queen is another story......Have loved the ice cream since I was a kid. I think there is one about 3 miles from here but I have not been.

You and Maria didn't save me a sliver of pie ? HOW RUDE !!!

Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I'm new to this thread but have been reading it. My DH & I are retired but I really don't cook too much anymore. Winifred, I do try easy fast dinners when I do cook. The ham you made I call it a ham steak. Most times they are on sale I pick up a few & freeze them. Since 2 of us leftovers are wonderful, ham & eggs, ham mixed in with pasta salad or mac & cheese. I use non stick pan with water & little sugar til boil then put in the ham steak so it will be moist. You can do so much with it. I live in Az. and know all about heat, we are getting an Aldi's but they haven't broke ground yet. I can't wait, googled it and I am excited to go. Think it may be a year & 1/2 til it's finished. 

Hi @sissel----so glad you joined us and I hope we'll hear from you often.

My DH died a few years ago and I have to force myself to cook. Even though I enjoy it, it is just easier not to ! Posters like Mousiegirl, Redtop and 

Pooky ( to name a few) are insane with their enviable culinary outpourings.

I call @Winifred's ham a ham steak, also....I didn't know if that was what she meant. Sometimes we can get the 8oz ones 5/$10 .......Thanks for the sugar/water tip...

The closest Aldi's to me is about 30 miles in a direction I never travel. I did go once years ago but if I ever get back I am going to try the pizza......

@Winifred swears by them but first I have to make the Detroit Pizza that I bought a special pan for and is still sitting in the box....I have ordered the pepperoni ,that @mousiegirl recommended , twice and ate it with crackers

instead.......I am truly a disorganized mess....

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone!

I bought Wolfgang Puck's large air fryer recently, and used it last night for the first time.  I roasted a whole chicken, took sixty minutes, so juicy, but I used an olive oil rub instead of using butter as Puck suggested, so it wasn't as brown, just a medium color.  The problem is that after the chicken is flipped over half way through, only one side is crisp at the end, the other must have gotten steamed from the juices that dripped out.

I will be cooking chicken wings soon , and I think they will be crispy all around, my favorite part of the chicken, then thighs, and I want to see how french fries turn out.  There is a recipe to cook them similar to the way I cook them, par cook first, then turn heat up and fry until crispy, the best ever, so doubt I will like them as much as mine, but will see.

I have a vertical apparatus on which a chicken is mounted so that it roasts vertically, and in this way both sides of the chicken become so crispy, must use this again.

Saturday night, I made a beef stir fry with pencil thin asparagus, over rice, and had enough flank steak left over, uncooked, to make DH tacos tonight.

@Danky  LOL!  I keep meaning to make the Detroit pizza again, still have plenty of pepperoni, but there are always leftovers to deal with,  maybe this week, as it will be cooler so using the oven won't be bad.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

its ok winifred me forgive you. its hot and very humid down here but should be better by sunday. i dont no how you deal with califoria weather. leftover chinese food over rice for dinner. i went grocery shopping this morning to 2 different stores. got alot of flowers for outside marked down today . soon i will take an ice cold shower before bed. all cold water no hot. maria tells me i dont know how you do it. hope everyone has a great weekend.

@Pooky1  @Winifred is living in the wrong part of California, told her she should come to Northern Ca, best weather, long growing season, clean air. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Danky  The canned deviled  ham is something my childhood neighbor friend would eat almost daily, spread on white bread, open faced, only without the mustard, with Dr. Pepper after she defizzed it, lol, surprised I even remember that, back in the stone ages, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Danky that slice of ham is prepackagednd is usually found in the meat secion that already has pre-packaged meats. but some butchers will still cut one - I never had them do that . it is about 1'4 inch thick, perhaps a tad more and has the little small round bond in the middle - almost nothing but ham. I fry mine - in my trusty iron frying pan that is I cook it slow then turn the heat up to brown it a bit. As kids we use to eat it all the time. Very inexpensive meal and the slice is enough for at least four people unless of course they all are like my great grand Davey. And your go withs can be anything ssat all - have never had a bad piece of ham that way. Super good! Hope you try it.

Hotter than  you know what out here today. Am NOT ready for this humidity - like i keep saying, ahhhhhhhhhhhh for the days of California DRY heat.Boo Hoo, like a lot of things, I guess it is gone.

Went to Aldi's and  picked up one of their monster pizzas - so very good and so very cheap. a  20 inch Supreme pizza for a smidge over $7 - and the best you will ever eat. Sure a cheap dinner.

@Winifred  It's still dry heat up here, the only way I can survive the high temps.  Years ago, we did have humidity for a few summers, but that had never happened before or since, thank goodness.

I know that ham slice well.  I usually have leftover ham in the freezer, so havn't bought the slice in some time.  The key is to get it caramalized, yummy.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone and welcome sissel. we allways welcome new people. the more the merryer. very chilly this morning and exspecting alot of rain today. the garden will apprecate it.yestauday anna sent up pasta meatballs sausage oven roasted potatoes and ribs. all very good,  and last night for snack crackers and pepperoni and the end of the chocolate creme pie maria made friday.dany we have panara near us but have never trted it. they just opened a dairy queen but havnt gone there yet either. tonights dinner will be a pepperoni pizza and a side salad. hope everyone has a great week.

@Pooky1  Costco now carries Panera rolls, don't know about other Panera products as I havn't been for a while.

Honored Contributor

@Danky  Dairy Queen!  We kids would walk quite a distance to get one when I was young.  There used to be one not too far from here, but it is gone now.  The soft serve ice cream was the best, and I don't know where else it can be gotten except at the County fair, served in an enormous waffle cone to eat with a spoon, that was so fabulous in the hot weather there the last time I went.

Honored Contributor

Had to make a run to the bank and post office, so I picked up pizza and cheese breadsticks for supper.   Gino’s has a super carryout deal of a large 4 topping pizza for $11, plus a second large 4 topping for $5.  That deal works very well for us. 

@Danky,

The Smithfield ham steaks I cooked last week were seared in a hot skillet until browned and hot thru and thru.   They can also be grilled or heated in the oven, but stovetop seemed easiest for me.   

Honored Contributor

My husband brought me a chicken pot pie from Trader Joe's the other day.  He said it was frozen so I put it in the freezer.

I keep wanting to fix it but it doesn't say whether to cook from frozen or thaw first.  Since it doesn't say to thaw I guess it goes in frozen.

But it's HUGE!  I would be eating off of this thing all week and I don't really see somethig like that as reheatable.   He said they were good, though.

Has anybody else tried these chicken pot pies from Trader Joe's?  Any ideas?