Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in June 2018 - almost let it get by me - - - - -

Winifred, You are such a special person for stepping up to care for these children.  

Respected Contributor

For dinner last night, I had chili cheese fries and Davey had a cowboy  burger - it was a monster.. Very very chilly this morning, so should start sweating again soon. Very difficult in this weather to stay well.

Have a great day one and all.

Contributor

I made hamburgers with pickles, onions, L and T on a gluten free rolls for my dh. I can eat pretty much nothing but salads, I put chicken or tuna in it, no dressing. My poor BIL just found out he has a 6 cm tumor in his colon. I feel such a great need to eat very healthy, I have an appt with a GI dr. because I cannpt be this skinny, I need help. 

Honored Contributor

@1905salad wrote:

I made hamburgers with pickles, onions, L and T on a gluten free rolls for my dh. I can eat pretty much nothing but salads, I put chicken or tuna in it, no dressing. My poor BIL just found out he has a 6 cm tumor in his colon. I feel such a great need to eat very healthy, I have an appt with a GI dr. because I cannpt be this skinny, I need help. 

@1905salad  Why can you only eat salad?  I hope all works out well for your BIL, scary.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, the wind here in the afternoon and early evening was unbelievable!  Pleasant weather the last two days, but that horrible heat is just around the corner.

I was planning on fish tacos last night, but DH emailed late afternoon to say sushi.  We havn't had it for so long, and it was delicious!  This little, and I mean small, restaurant opened about five or so years ago only a few minutes away, and it is the best sushi I have ever eaten, even far surpasses what used to be our favorite sushi restaurant, the latter giving mostly rice in a roll, this restaurant, very little rice and beautiful fish, and though a bit costly, worth every penny compared to anywhere else.  It is always packed full, so we now always get take out, and are afraid that due to that, it will move to a larger place, hope not because this is so convenient, rare where I live, usually have to drive quite a distance.

I always get this for my birthday dinner, have given up going out.  I may have mentioned this before, but when DD was little, she and I would dress up for Santa, and take the train to meet DH, then go to Macy's in SF to see Santa and for me to shop for my birthday present which was the 50-75% off Christmas ornaments there, then we would go to the Disney store, a few other places, then Barnes & Noble where DD would pick books, then to dinner at a favorite restaurant.  I hate to break tradition, but though no Santa visits when DD was older, we still went to the City, but as of five years ago, stopped.

Tonight, will be grilled chicken breasts with cheese, a favorite, in rolls for DH, no roll for me, with a salad and chips.  I found a strawberry cake recipe, no frosting, yesterday, so am making that to serve with whipped cream.  I don't bake as I used to, calories and sugar are not our friends, but this is simple and has lots of strawberries and yogurt in it, good for breakfast, mine, Smiley Happy, but it will be desert tonight.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @mousiegirl, would you mind sharing your recipe for the strawberry cake?  If there is such a thing as a healthy cake, your cake might just fit the bill. Smiley Wink  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Grilled steaks, baked beans & salad, all of his favorites for his day. Plus very easy too. 

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze

• Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature 
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt 
  • 1/4 cup melted butter, cooled slightly 
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 1 pound strawberries, hulled, half sliced and half halved 
  • Honey whipped cream, for serving (see Cook's Note)
Directions

Special equipment: a 9-inch springform pan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray; line the bottom with parchment paper.

Combine the eggs and 1 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl and beat on high speed with a handheld mixer until thick, pale and doubled in size, about 4 minutes. Add the yogurt, melted butter and vanilla; beat for another minute. Add the flour, baking powder and salt; mix until just combined, 30 seconds. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the sliced berries on top. Pour the remaining batter over the berries; spread evenly once again. Top decoratively with the strawberry halves and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with honey whipped cream.  (I will use my whpped cream recipe, heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar)

Strawberry Cake

Honored Contributor

We had BBQ ribs, potato salad and roasted beets, with blackberry cobbler for dessert.   The other day my husband said he wanted ribs, potato salad, corn and baked beans for his Father’s Day meal, but once I started cooking today, he changed his mind about the corn and beans.   That was quite okay with me.   

By the time trucker daughter and her boyfriend eat dessert, it will be gone.  A cobbler does not last long here!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. mousiegirl that t cake looks really good. should be 90 today with high humidity but will cool down tomorrow. anna had fathers day . she made a salad, fried artichokes ,string beans, corn on the cob and burgers hot dogs and steak on the grill. i cooked food on grill for her. her son is a father but maria and i no longer have fathers alive. everything went well. today for dinner maria was making southwestern eggrolls but its going to be so hot she made them last night and i was going to fry them hen i got up early. so i poured oil in pan to e ready when i got up and sid to ria why dont i just fry them now so im not boiling oil tomorrow to heat up house. so i fryed them last night like 7 last night. hope everyonr has a great week,