Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in August of 2019

@Keybra wrote:

Tonight is fried shrimp with rice and broccoli. DH special request and shrimp is almost ready to fry. Desert is strawberries and real cream which the kids will love.

@Keybra   How do you fry shrimp?  I have several ways, but am always interested in new recipes.

Honored Contributor

Last night was bruschetta, some with Italian sausage, sauteed orange peppers from the garden and red onions, and others with sauteed broccolini..

I went to Costco and bought two rotisserie chickens, so tonight will give DH chicken tacos, I ate my dinner at 1:00 when I got home, hadn't eaten breakfast, so will nibble on blueberries later on, am stuffed.

Honored Contributor

Tonight will be filet mignons from Costco with mustard cream sauce, and veges, I think, may change my mind later on.

I bought a flan at Costco, so am having that with blueberries for breakfast.  I have been nibbling on it since yesterday, lol.  It tastes so light, but I know it has calories, at least some nutrition in it though.

I stripped the two rotisserie chickens, used some for the tacos last night, saved the white meat for sandwiches, and the rest went into the freezer for other meals.  My pups were very devotedly at my feet while I was doing this, LOL, they know that bits seem to fall their way when I cook.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. mousiegirl have you ever made coconut shimp? its really good. maria seasons it with salt and pepper and breads it with beaten eggs and into the coconut and fries it. after she did it the first time and cconut dont stick that great not she puts coconut in food processer or ninja and it breads so much easyer. awesome weather down here in ri. low 80s and no humidity.for lunch we picked up pizza and calzones from bakery. tonight not sure yet. hope everyone has a great weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good evening everyone. mousiegirl have you ever made coconut shimp? its really good. maria seasons it with salt and pepper and breads it with beaten eggs and into the coconut and fries it. after she did it the first time and cconut dont stick that great not she puts coconut in food processer or ninja and it breads so much easyer. awesome weather down here in ri. low 80s and no humidity.for lunch we picked up pizza and calzones from bakery. tonight not sure yet. hope everyone has a great weekend.

@Pooky1   Yes, I made it over twenty years ago.  No one likes coconut except me, so I created other recipes for prawns, which I love,may try them again with your recipe.  DH doesn't like them either, so I feast on them and give him something else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night, I made pizza baguettes.  I didn't have a sauce or time to make one, so I halved some tomatoes and diced red onion and sauteed with basis, salt/pep, then removed the skins, turned out well  Three pieces had this, fried Italian sausage, and mozzarella, and the other three had this sauce, mozz, and after removing from the oven, I piled San Daniele prosciutto on top, DH loved it.

Tonight, I will make a salad and add chicken breast pieces from the other night, and garlic bread or grilled naan.

The weather is cooler, so am going out to pot the new daylilies that arrived this week, and repot others.

Happy Weekend!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night was ribeyes, fire was so hot, DH doesn't know how to build any other, that they got a thick charred crust, delicious, rare inside, corn on the cob, and sliced tomatoes.

Gardening yesterday, and I found some plants I thought had died, they were buried in other plants, so was happy about that, now to repot many as they have outgrown their pots.

In spite of the tomatoes being enclosed, supposedly safe from all critters, something got in and ate all of the green tomatoes, and one that was turning red, so ticked off!  So, yesterday, we pegged down any gaps at the bottom of the netting, so hopefully this works.,  I also had to cover all of the strawberry plants with wire as they were being eaten before they turned at all red, also some roses had to cover in wire.  It is bunnies and/or rats, I imagine, don't mind the buns, but the others can go elsewhere, lol.

The orange pepper plants are doing well, also eggplant and chile peppers.  The two black pepper plants that I bought thinking they were bell peppers, grew into tall plants with black chile peppers too hot for us, so I tossed them the other day.

Hot this week, and from now on, I just may melt into oblivion, no air conditioning, just fans and wet towels, lol.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone.cloudy muggy and thunder storms and a couple inches of rain coming today. yestauday maria made white clam chowder and  made clamcakes and today maria made tomato salad and steak sandwiches all were very good.hope everyone has a great week.

Honored Contributor

Here we are 13 days into the month, and I’ve only cooked 3 meals!  

The girls just haven’t been home enough for a family meal.   I have been cleaning out our fridge freezer leftovers, which have been enough food for me, and my husband.   I will start restocking in October, with the goal to stay out of stores during flu season.   

Trucker daughter is home for a nice break, and has requested cowboy beans, fried potatoes and cornbread for supper, with chow chow, and onions.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Here we are 13 days into the month, and I’ve only cooked 3 meals!  

The girls just haven’t been home enough for a family meal.   I have been cleaning out our fridge freezer leftovers, which have been enough food for me, and my husband.   I will start restocking in October, with the goal to stay out of stores during flu season.   

Trucker daughter is home for a nice break, and has requested cowboy beans, fried potatoes and cornbread for supper, with chow chow, and onions.   

@RedTop   Send some of this food my way, please, lol.