Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

Cold and sunny today, but it is to begin warming up starting tomorrow, gradually through the week, to low 60's, here I come weeds!

Tonight is meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, and peas, the ultimate comfort food, DH is thrilled with the menu, lol.

I am beginning to pack Christmas decor, little by little, and have to plant seeds very soon, which will grow under the grow light system in the garage.

Respected Contributor

Sounds good Mousiegirl - haven't made a meatloaf in several  years. Times have changed - yet I love meatloaf. Maybe I should do that soon. Cooking is not as easy as it once was but that should not take a lot of time in the kitchen. glad you posted it.

Suppose to be 71 here today - I sure hope so. Yesterday was another pretty day but with all the sun, that dreaded wind started up and it was not real nice.

Got to my appointment with my pulmonary MD, went OK but still have to go in for them to go through my lung to try and get a sample of the problem. My MD insists it is cancer but has been unable to gather any specimens after 4 attempts over the past couple years. Sigh. This time they will as they go through the lung rather than put something into it to try and grab a sampling. Yikes - but has to be done.

Will try and get some more of my room cleaned up and the biggie today is to change the linen and get it washed. Dread that as it is not easy like it use to be. LOL.

Have a great day everyone!

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Sounds good Mousiegirl - haven't made a meatloaf in several  years. Times have changed - yet I love meatloaf. Maybe I should do that soon. Cooking is not as easy as it once was but that should not take a lot of time in the kitchen. glad you posted it.

Suppose to be 71 here today - I sure hope so. Yesterday was another pretty day but with all the sun, that dreaded wind started up and it was not real nice.

Got to my appointment with my pulmonary MD, went OK but still have to go in for them to go through my lung to try and get a sample of the problem. My MD insists it is cancer but has been unable to gather any specimens after 4 attempts over the past couple years. Sigh. This time they will as they go through the lung rather than put something into it to try and grab a sampling. Yikes - but has to be done.

Will try and get some more of my room cleaned up and the biggie today is to change the linen and get it washed. Dread that as it is not easy like it use to be. LOL.

Have a great day everyone!

@Winifred  Wishing you the best results. Smiley Happy

WOW, 70's already?  We are supposed to get 60 today, and then rise through the week to about 64, very cold in the mornings, and I am with you re wind, H A T E it!  No wind the last few days. Smiley Happy

The pups and I have cabin fever, too much inside time, boring for them, but of course I always have lots of drudgery awaiting me, but anxious to get out and attack the weeds as I swear they grow by the minute, lol. I hadn't made meatloaf in years either until the last four months or so, so easy, just put in what you want.  Mine are as simple as can be as I only add bread crumbs to the ground meat, this was beef, use Panko, milk, eggs, lots of onions, garlic can be added, I didn't due to the garlic mashed potatoes I made, and seasoning, last night was Italian.  The previous meatloaf had my marinara sauce on the plate, then the meatloaf, this time I put a sweet and sour topping on, but it is fine all by itself.  Leftovers are great in sandwiches.  I have even put lefovers in a marinara sauce, same ingredients as meatballs.

I usually make it with ground turkey, really delicious, but DH was shocked at the color, "I've never seen a white meatloaf," LOL, I couldn't stop eating it, that good it was.

Respected Contributor

It's very cold here with freezing rain and then we are supposed to get some snow.Our youngest daughter is staying here with us for a week for some training.She works for the post office,has for around 20 years now.She lives "up" north,so it's nice to have some time with just her.We will have steak and salad tonight.I have been thinking of hot dogs,they just sound so good,I know that's naughty and not healthy but what can I say?

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo,

Hoping you enjoy this special time with your daughter!   I think hot dogs are a great idea; I enjoy them on split buns (like at DQ), with mustard, onions, homemade chili and slaw.   

Our supper tonight was the last of the leftovers; pork bbq, mashed potatoes and corn.   This area of WV is to receive heavy rain tonight that changes to snow by morning and stays around thru the weekend.   Pretty sure tomorrow will be a pajama day for husband and I.   

Honored Contributor

Sunny and warmer today, so out the pups and I go for a while.

Remember my story about UPS not leaving the box of potstickers last Friday, but keeping them in the truck until Monday then delivering it to the access point?  Well, last night DH brought them up, UPS couldn't leave them when they were fresh, but now that they have rotted, decided to go to the effort of picking the box up at the access point and dropping it outside my home, six days after they were to be delivered to my home.  Good thing it was garbage night, as the bags were ready to explode and smelly.

Last night was an arugula salad, lemon juice, and avocado, my favorite salad, but had to add olive oil to DH's as he doesn't like tart, and his leftover pan pizza for him, salad and crackers were` enough for me.

Tonight may be linguine with clams.

Respected Contributor

Hello.My husband, daughter and I are going out to a Mexican restaurant tonight.RedTop, glad your husband is doing ok.You look out for him and take very good care of him.That has to be done today in the world of medicine.Mousiegirl,your food sounds good.Glad you can get out with your furfaces.I hope everyone has a nice evening.

Respected Contributor

3 days ago we were allmost at 0 now were allmost 60 degrees and were getting like 2 inches of rain and 50 miles an hour winds and we have some windows open where rain isnt coming in and we have ceiling fans on. hugh difference a couple days make.we had leftovers and anna sent up some red peppers mushrooms and italian sausage. all really good. maria said i not feeling like eating healthy today and i said in that case im making chocolate cupcakes. the recipe comes right out of a hersheys cookbook. there are so moist. after all ingredients are mixed you and a half cup of boiling water and mix it in. maria made chocolate froasting. its so creamy and easy to make.  6 onces of chocolate melted and cooled slightly.4 1/2 cups confectionary sugar,1 1/2 cups of butter right out of frigerator works. 6 table spoons of any milk or half and half, and 1 table spoon vanilla. everything going in food processer and process until mixed well . if you make this in a mixer you will need to take butter out but its great in food processer and recipe tells you to do it a fp. we use milk chocolate chips but you can use what ever kind you like and if you want white froasting then use white chocolate. this recipe in not massivlly sweet. if anyone wants cake recipe i will give you that to. hope everyone has a great day.

Honored Contributor

Our supper consisted of kielbasa with peppers and onions, and macaroni and cheese; just enough for the 3 of us tonight, no leftovers.   

@hellie jo,

Yes, I am doing my best to advocate for my husbands medical care.   This pressure ulcer has thrown us into an area of medical care we are not familiar with, but are learning fast.   As a diabetic, my husband faces the possibility of an amputation if his foot does not heal.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Our supper consisted of kielbasa with peppers and onions, and macaroni and cheese; just enough for the 3 of us tonight, no leftovers.   

@hellie jo,

Yes, I am doing my best to advocate for my husbands medical care.   This pressure ulcer has thrown us into an area of medical care we are not familiar with, but are learning fast.   As a diabetic, my husband faces the possibility of an amputation if his foot does not heal.    

@RedTop Wishing for your DH's foot to heal.  My Father had a leg amputated due to diabetes, and died shortly thereafter, but he had other issues. 

I am always reminding DH of the possibility of amputation or blindness.  He is on meds, but has an enormous sweet tooth.  I nag him about it, but one day, years ago, the frig we had then had a way for ice to drop into a cup, so I did that, and into my glass fell a frozen candy bar, he was hiding them in the freezer, lol.  Now, I know he hides them downstairs in his train room.  The dogs know it too, lol.

He isn't truthful with his doctors either, so they think he needs more meds, but I told DH no more meds, just stop eating sugar!  He did for a while, and his next reading was good.

Now, because he told his doctor that he had been doing all of the exercises for sciatica, and he has not, he is being sent to an orthopedist, which is nuts.  He told a friend the other day about his suffering lately, and the guy told him to do the exercises, so he did that day, and said it was immediate relief.  I told him to continue, and if his symptoms disappeared or were much improved to cancel the appointment, dumb to be radiated again, already had xrays on his leg, for no reason.  I will keep nagging, but he is as stubborn as they get.