Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

good evening everyone.new years day my mil anna made a pan of lentil soup. its supossed to be lucky to eat it on years day sow e ate with her and we allso picked up ketucky fried chicken and we had leftover chicken last night and leftover lentils and a peice of leftover ham and cheese calzone fry new years eve.  danky. chinese food is allways right up there with home made food.hope everyone is having a great new year. sending everyone good luck and sending out prayers you the new year.

Respected Contributor

Hope the New Year will be good for everyone.Had tamales,spanish rice and refried beans on New Years day.

Respected Contributor

Hi Pooky......my Grandson, who is 16, LOVES lentils......I don't think I knew what they were until last year !!!!

I love KFC but I don't know how to reheat it...... I put it in the microwave but it's got this weird taste and the skin gets kinda flabby...In the oven maybe ?

I hope this is a much better year for you and Maria.......

I let my fingernails get very long and now I can't type..........

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also had fried chicken on New Year's Day, but from a great local grocery store rather than KFC as all the franchises in our area are terrible. Here's how to easily reheat fried chicken to keep the skin crispy and the meat moist:

•Remove fried chicken from refrigerator and place on a lightly greased baking pan.
  *Note: Do not use foil; it can really stick to the skin! It's worth the bit of cleanup to
   avoid biting down on a piece of metal. *shudder*
•Allow chicken to sit for 30 minutes.
•Preheat oven to 300 either during the 30-minute period or right at the end.
•Cook chicken for 20-25 minutes, until warmed through. If you're reheating breasts
  with the smaller pieces, flip the big guys over around the halfway point.
•Enjoy!!!

@Danky

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

Hi Pooky......my Grandson, who is 16, LOVES lentils......I don't think I knew what they were until last year !!!!

I love KFC but I don't know how to reheat it...... I put it in the microwave but it's got this weird taste and the skin gets kinda flabby...In the oven maybe ?

I hope this is a much better year for you and Maria.......

I let my fingernails get very long and now I can't type..........

@Danky  A toaster oven or regular oven, or an air fryer will do it.

Respected Contributor

Glad to see so many checking in - some great meals have been prepared. Just keep coming back - the more the merrier.

Very cold here in Sou Cal and shoulld keep this cold weather up for a few  more days. Last couple DAYS however have not been real bad as that dreaded frigid wind had calmed down a lot. That stuff goes right through ou.

Eating heated up collards and black eyed peas tonight - again. What can I say. Have a lot still to freeze - will come in handy durinthe next few months.

Sleep well everyone!

Honored Contributor

Last night, I prepared sliders with the rest of the leftover Prime Rib, on Hawaiian rolls, toasted with butter slathered on.  I mixed a bit of mayo into the horseradish and sour cream that I serve with Prime Rib, and a salad on the side.

Today is still cold and sunny, but rain is supposed to show up for the next three days or so, will believe that when/if I see it.

I have a marshmallow cookie dough in the frig since I made it four days ago, but have been munching on others, and want a cookie free day today, so maybe tomorrow.

I made four different varieties, one is for DH as I don't care for them, lol, I have eaten one batch since Christmas, so delicious, the peanut raisin cookies, my favorite, tons of raisins, always put in extra, and crunchy peanut butter, but they are so crisp and tender, they fall apart while eating, hold together a bit better when just out of the freezer, all gone now, lol.

DH and I ate another batch, and there is half of one batch left in the freezer, a caramel popcorn oatmeal coconut cookie recipe, so crunchy.  DH doesn't like almond flavor or coconut, so these, aside from the one he tried, are for me.

I have had these recipes for decades, and never made them before, which I pulled from magazines through the years, decided finally to make something different this year.  

Decades ago, I bought a ton of tall jars with lids to store cookies in, never knew until this year that they could be frozen, and some can't be, used to fill all of them up, then pack and mail to family, keeping plenty for us, of course.  Now, I may only fill two jars, the rest go into the freezer, out of sight out of mind, unfortunately NO, LOL, just eat them right out of the freezer, no thawing required as they don't freeze solid.

Another lazy, puttering, napping day for me, lol, as January is the month I recover for the rest of the year, then beginning in February, Christmas comes down, then spring will be here so will be outside.  Time flies too quickly for my liking.

Respected Contributor

Tonight will make meatloaf with baked potatoes and a salad.It's 40 degrees and sunny.Only had snow twice this winter,only had to snowblow once,which dh likes.Sorry but I want some snow,never thought I would say that.Although I like not driving on snow and ice.Guess we won't have much of a winter,had hardly any fall.Well,what can you do?

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

Tonight will make meatloaf with baked potatoes and a salad.It's 40 degrees and sunny.Only had snow twice this winter,only had to snowblow once,which dh likes.Sorry but I want some snow,never thought I would say that.Although I like not driving on snow and ice.Guess we won't have much of a winter,had hardly any fall.Well,what can you do?

@hellie jo  According to Acuweather, we won't have the usual winter either,  fifties for a few weeks, mornings 40's, then into sixties and saw a 70 in March!  I can remember the winters growing up, constant rain and cold for months and months, flooding gutters, etc.  Last year was good, but not this year, sad.

Respected Contributor

THANKS so much @loriqvc and @mousiegirl...........I have a toaster oven, still in the box, and have had it for three years......I don't use new things quickly but thought I absolutely had to have one !!!! I'm going to try both.....

it'll be nice to have the leftovers again.