Respected Contributor

What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

Have my collards and black eyed peas on the stove. I always slow cook them - and they taste a lot better - in my opinion. Actually I do it because my Mother and Grandmother cooked them that way. You can smell those heavenly things for a lot of hours and then eat like crazy. I think I may have fixed way too much - AGAIN - but I have a freezer. 

Have a Great day everyone and may all your tomorrows be blessed!

Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

We’re going to a friend’s house for dinner tonight. The menu includes roast pork with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, hoppin’ John, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, rolls and a variety of desserts. The hostess is providing the meat and potatoes and the guests are bringing everything else. It’s a good thing we don’t eat like this everyday! Happy New Year!🎊🎆🎉🥂

Respected Contributor

cooRe: What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

A slow cooker filled blackeyed peas (seasoned with hog jowl/pork belly), scalloped potatoes (Fleming's Steakhouse recipe dupe), Archibald and Woodrow's Ribs/wings and cornbread.

Honored Contributor

I am fixing Ree Drumonds Cajun Brisket, but with rump roast instead of brisket.  I am using the crockpot.  Its beginning to smell really good in the house.

I hope we like it (havent fixed it before)  and its not very traditional but thats ok too.  Crockpot buttered potatoes to go with it.  Havent decided on a veggie yet.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I made pot roast yesterday because it's really cold so having leftovers today. I will be eating a hot bowl of pot roast stew for dinner.

We don't eat black eyed peas or anything else special for New Years. 

DH has been off work since before Christmas. He's been bored. He made a pot of ham & beans Sat, made a pot of Gumbo, pot of Jambalaya on Sun & made a pot of cowboy beans yesterday. LOL!!! He said he has plenty of stuff to take to work to eat for lunch.

I had to make an appt to use my own kitchen. Finally got to make banana nut muffins this morning.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I am fixing Ree Drumonds Cajun Brisket, but with rump roast instead of brisket.  I am using the crockpot.  Its beginning to smell really good in the house.

I hope we like it (havent fixed it before)  and its not very traditional but thats ok too.  Crockpot buttered potatoes to go with it.  Havent decided on a veggie yet.

@Imaoldhippie

Let me know how it turns out. How long are you going to cook the rump roast?

I love it cooked on the grill with the in-direct smoke method. We cook it til it's med rare to med. It's better really pink but not bloody or it can get tough. It's good sliced thin on hawaiian sweet rolls with some Au Jus.

I have also used it cut in chunks for beef stew.

My mouths watering just thinking about it. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

Shrimp 🍤 Ettouffe! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

Good Evening........

I started my New Year with Chinese.....egg drop soup and roast pork egg foo young......Really delicious but not equivalent to home made meals ....

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.........It cooked for 6 to 7 hours until it was falling apart.

I used 1/2 the amount of cayenne pepper that the recipe called for and it was very spicy hot.  Other than that it was good.  If I cook it again I will used a pinch of cayenne or leave it out altogether.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Year's Day was stuffed eggs with bacon, and baked broccoli cheese dip with toasted baguette slices.  I had several more items to serve, sliders and cruncy corn fritters, but we were both so tired, I went to bed at 6:00, and DH was stuffed, lol, so we will have those one night this week.