Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for November 2017 - a turkey perhaps?

Hi everyone, 

Pooky1, that sounds so good! I have been so busy at work but we have a surprising day off today so I thought I would do some baking and cooking. Some people are dangerous and a threat to local school children in my area so they closed the schools today. What is the world coming to? 

I think I will make some cookies for my dh, I usually dont have time but I will today. I have some salmon that I will make with angel hair pasta and a drop of pesto sauce later, for me. I'll grilll some chicken breasts and make cornbread, roasted veg., mashed potatoes for the others. 

What is everyone's plans for Thanksgiving? Here it will be the four of us, one son coming from MD. I went to Atlanta to visit my other son and his family last weekend. I brought the grandkids their Christmas presents and we did the tree and had a fun time. Honestly, Im looking forward to a quiet Thanksgiving. 

Respected Contributor

Good Morning !

@Pooky1----what an interesting idea about the waffles. Does Maria make the mix per the box directions ? Also, I wanted to talk to you about artichokes. I love them but NEVER prepare them. They seem like a lot of work for very little gain. You guys seem to have them frequently which leads me to believe I may be missing something. I wonder if @mousiegirl grows them. I don't even know how they grow ! I have seen them frozen but they are very expensive .....well, I guess fresh are, too, when you consider the waste. My parents steam them and serve them whole with melted butter and you remove a leaf, dip it in butter and scrape off the flesh with your teeth. 

In terms of Thanksgiving, @1905salad, we have a ski place in Vermont. ( I

live in NJ.) Most of the family gathers there starting this weekend and every thing is traditional holiday. Usually 12-18 adults at a sit down dinner with kids at a different table. I do virtually nothing except some minimal set-up before everyone arrives.....Open up the house, grocery shopping for staples, unpack the linens for the beds and towels , make certain there is plenty of wood, etc. Then all "guests" take over and even the kids have assigned chores. Until they leave, after about a week or so, I do virtually nothing that I don't feel like doing. We have a wonderful time complete with arguing over politics, bickering about everything and tears for people who are not there.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I have not gotten back here any sooner - been running around like a crazy person. Shame on me. That hsas not, however, interfered with eating well - what can I say?

Tonight we had pick ups and other weird stuff - guess tomorrow I need to fix a regular meal. OK, will do it.'

Stores have been jammed packed. I get so irritated as the prices have skyrocketed - like crazy - just not right in my opinion.

Hope all have had a great week - here comes Saturday - sure pops up fast. Looking at the clock it is only 6:30 our time - feels like midnight. Do NOT like this time change. Gets dark, I am ready for beddy bye. What can I say.

Honored Contributor

@Danky  I have grown artichokes, beautiful purple flowers.

All I do with artichokes is to wash, cut all of the thorny ends off of the leaves cook, then either stuff and bake, or dip in any sauce, aioli is a favorite here, love garlic. 

Respected Contributor

We are suppose to be at 90 degrees on Thanksgiving Day. Figures in Sou CAl but one never knows until it gets here. LOL. Fine with me.

Been a busy few days - tomorrow am planning to have fried yellow squash with onions and cornbread. Now that is a super meal. Being from the South, that is the way we eat - and quite frankly I think our eating habits are super good - for the most part that is.

Am really tired - shortly I will be sound asleep - I hope that is. Then tomorrow morning off to church - Leah and I go together and she seems to truly love it - I know all there really think she is the cat's meow.!

Hope all ate well today.

Respected Contributor

Fixed a simple dinner for last night - but oh so delicious. Fried yellow squash with onions and cornbread of course. Very good except the little girl took one look at it and pushed her plate away. She does not like to try anything much  - she LOVES noodles and tater tots. What can I say?

VERY cold this morning but should warm up a bit when the sun decides to start looking down at us. 

Brought some of those great cinnamon raisin bagels and cream cheese - hope one and all have a great day.

Super Contributor

I bought a "Tender Cooker" from Amazon and it should be called a artichoke cooker.  It cooks with gentle pressure in a microwave.  It cooks 2 very large artichokes at once, in about 11 minutes.  Or 3 fairly large arties.  I have cooked other things in it too.  😀

Respected Contributor

welcome foggy morning. havnt seen you in this section before.we all allways like seeing new people here. the more the merryer.will have to check out this tender cooker.  good morning everyone. got up this morning to pouring rain. i just trimmed the grape vine yestauday so its all ready for next years growing season. last night for dinner ria made something new. chicken ranch frys. you can make your own french frys or bake some frozen frys .once frys are ready on baking sheet. cook some bacon. bread and fry chicken breast. then cut chicken up into small peices and add cut up bacon mix togeather with ranch dressing and put mixture on top of frys and top with shredded cheddar and bake until cheese is melted. it was awesome.hope everyone has a great day and good luck with all your thanksgiving prep .

Contributor

A turkey will always be present in the table.Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Glad to see you Foggy Morning and Annie Loves Diamond - hope you all come back. Always great to see new ideas and also new appliances being used. Pooky1 I envy you the rain - must be great!!!

Again I ordered my Thanksgiving Dinner - just too difficult to spend the time and everything else getting a dinner ready. And I am never sure who may or may not show up. LOL. Need to pick it up about noon today - it will be delicious - always is. And I agree Thanksgiving is a time for Turkey - guess I am not alone in that. And aren't Turkey sandwiches later the best thing ever?

Very warm out here - yesterday I was sweating something fierce. By tomorrow it will be 90 - oh well, it has happened before - and we have also had snow this time of year. Go figure.

Along with the Turkey comes pumpkin and apple pies, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, rolls and I usually add a green veggie to that, like fresh green beans - Ricky will love that. I believe that has to be his favorite thing to eat - not bad for a 3 plus year old.

Hope one and all have a great day!!!