Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for November 2017 - a turkey perhaps?

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

HI.....I have never had naan although I know what it is. Another thing to add to my list.

Tonight I made a boiled dinner....kielbasa, onions, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. I've never done this before but I think I am going to save the reserved water that I cooked everything in and use it as the cooking liquid for split pea soup. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be good and the most I have to lose is a bag of split peas and a piece of ham if it isn't.

I've been wanting to ask you something , @mousiegirl, if you don't mind.

What state do you live in and is your daughter an adult ? I thought you posted something about her being in pre-school but than I thought you said she was born over 20 years ago. If I am being too nosy, just ignore me. I will understand because I don't discuss my specific family members on line.

@Pooky1----Ann and Hope ! OMG.....my Grandparents used to take us to the one in Cumberland when we were little. We also used to go to Apex in Pawtucket which may have been one of the first membership buying clubs ever.

Have you and Maria ever gone to the Chistmas festivities in Wickford 

(North Kingston) ? Such a beautiful little village.

@Danky  DD is away at college.  I am an "older" Mom. Smiley Happy  You must have read a post in which I said "when" DD was in preschool... Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone.danky no we never been to wickford village. when i was little my mom and grandmother use to go to ann and hope in cumberland to.and apex in pawtuket. when i first got my drivers licence back allmost 30 years ago i dropped my mother off at work and then i decided to go apex in pawtuket.i figured i had plenty of time to pick her up at 3. except i got lost trying to get out of pawtuket so i called her at work and said im running late as soon as i find my way out of pawtuket i will be there. needless to say she started yelling.i did eventually get to north providence to pick her up.last night ria made devilish hotdogs and mashed potatoes.hotdog recipe is from rachel ray.you make a meat sauce and that goes over boiled then grilled hotdogs in buns and top them with cheddar cheese and back until cheese is melted. hope everyone has a great thursday.

Valued Contributor

My hubby made a cheeseburger casserole last night.  Our kids always loved it when they were little.  It is quick, easy and delicious.  I got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine years ago.  I have made it many, many times. 

I bought a butt portion ham from Aldi's last weekend.  I will cook it this weekend.  I have never tried a ham from Aldi's but have read many great reviews for their spiral ham.  I don't care for the spiral cut of a ham so I have never bought one of those.  I have started buying a few things along the way for our Thanksgiving dinner.  

I also stocked up on bread making supplies last night so that I can use my bread machine for the holidays.  I don't need to eat a lot of bread but I love to bake and plan on giving some food gifts for Christmas.  I will make my sister and her twin boys a bunch of cookie dough balls for the holidays.  I roll the dough in balls and freeze them in my foodsaver.    That way she can get out just a few cookies to bake and have them anytime.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ole dummy me I guess as I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out some of these foods?? - naan?? - and locations?? some of you visit?? Apex to me is strictly in NC between Raleigh and Cary. LOL. Guess that is not the Apex mentioned here. Some of you still have so much energy re cooking - While I have always loved to cook, these days I often find another way to feed the group. Sure is heck getting old.

Ricky took off on me yesterday as I was putting him in the car - he is such a sneak and can move with NO WARNING signs. Glad Mitzy drove up just as he pulled his whatever. She helped me corner him in the yard next door. He is getting terrible about getting in his car seat or staying with me and not running off. Just cannot figure that little boy out. He is such a doll but so very challenging. This was after he did very well at his session in the morning - he goes once a week. Tried going to a veggie stand with him to get apples. This was before the episode at home and right after his session in Banning. He was very very good, stayed right with me and created havoc AFTER returning to the car. Took me forever to get him into his child's seat - he use to be no problem at all - hard to figure him out.

Davey and I went to Farmer Boys last night?? for dinner. I had chili cheese fries and coffee and he had a Barn Burger with fried onions and a coke. Tonight both little ones will be back home to stay a while - do not think I have any interfering tasks or errands to do until church on Sunday - we shall see. I think I will fix some chicken breasts some manner or the other. Always easy to come up with something good to eat with chicken breasts and the little ones love chicken also. Will have some green beans and still thinking about what else.

Aldi's hams are delicious. I have one sitting in my freezer waiting for Thanksgiving. I much prefer Turkey but that will wait until Christmas.  I buy the full meals - they have gotten quite expensive but there is no way I can spend all that time in the kitchen and still keep an eye on two little quick moving toddlers. Ahhhhhhhh, to get old. Plus I do not have the energy I once did.

Speaking of that I called the Sheriff out yesterday as there are still people living in the Wash next to me and it makes me really nervous. Reminded the Deputies that is private property and not city or county, etc. The property is not mine - use to live in that house many eons ago - but the people who own it are redoing it and they gave me a key for their gate so I can check on whether they are still there or not. THEY ARE. Their home was broken into, fence smashed down right above where they are and a lot was stolen from the home, I.e. new copper tubing, compressor, tools, etc. Good reason they should be moved out. If they are indeed innocent homeless then help should be provided but I would have to question the burglarized home. Makes me very nervous.

Eat well - suppose to be a very nice day today.

Honored Contributor

@marky wrote:

My hubby made a cheeseburger casserole last night.  Our kids always loved it when they were little.  It is quick, easy and delicious.  I got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine years ago.  I have made it many, many times. 

I bought a butt portion ham from Aldi's last weekend.  I will cook it this weekend.  I have never tried a ham from Aldi's but have read many great reviews for their spiral ham.  I don't care for the spiral cut of a ham so I have never bought one of those.  I have started buying a few things along the way for our Thanksgiving dinner.  

I also stocked up on bread making supplies last night so that I can use my bread machine for the holidays.  I don't need to eat a lot of bread but I love to bake and plan on giving some food gifts for Christmas.  I will make my sister and her twin boys a bunch of cookie dough balls for the holidays.  I roll the dough in balls and freeze them in my foodsaver.    That way she can get out just a few cookies to bake and have them anytime.

@marky  The cookie dough ball is a good idea, never thought of it.  I am sure a busy Mom will appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Winifred   May I recommend a child's restraint leash to help you keep the little one safe.   My child was hard to handle when he was too young to understand the dangers of speeding cars, etc.  I used a child's leash and it gave me such peace of mind knowing that he couldn't run off from me or squirm out of my hold.  He was especially adept at getting away from me as I removed him from his car seat and set him on the ground.  I would have to hold on for dear life (literally).  Only took one time for me to realize that I needed a restraint.  Once he was old enough to open the fastener on the front, I simply turned the harness around and he couldn't get to it.   Best and cheapest investment I ever made to save my sanity and his life.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@marky wrote:

@marky  The cookie dough ball is a good idea, never thought of it.  I am sure a busy Mom will appreciate it. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  I used to just give frozen cookie dough in a tupperware container but the receipient had to thaw out the entire container and make all of the cookies at once.  I then thought of the ball method and they could take out just the number they wanted and bake them fresh.  I always made them for my boss.  Her idea of baking was to buy from the bakery and put the items on her own platter.  lol

Honored Contributor

@marky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@marky wrote:

@mousiegirl  I used to just give frozen cookie dough in a tupperware container but the receipient had to thaw out the entire container and make all of the cookies at once.  I then thought of the ball method and they could take out just the number they wanted and bake them fresh.  I always made them for my boss.  Her idea of baking was to buy from the bakery and put the items on her own platter.  lol

@marky  Lol re your boss.  I discovered last season that cookies freeze superbly, and I could eat them right out of the freezer if I chose as they never froze hardened, so this year, I am going to bake ahead and freeze, and save some baking for when DD comes home so we can bake together. 

It is a riot watching us try to make Spritz, lol, what a disaster!  We have tried so many presses, and last year we were successful by using the original press, can't think of the name, but I bought it on ebay new.  I then found a company that makes the discs for presses in so many wonderful Christmas shapes, after Christmas, so this year plan to use those.  I like the multi colored tiny sprinkles, but DD sprinkles them with different colored sugars before baking.  She  is then able to take freezer bags full of cookies back with her, pop them into her freezer, and have them whenever she wants. Smiley Happy  Big problem though, I can't stay out of them, lol.

Respected Contributor

@marky-----I love the leash idea. Although I don't know how old @Winifred is, she has frequently alluded to the fact that she doesn't have the energy/stamina that she had when she was younger. Raising 2 toddlers and a teenager would be difficult for anyone but when they are your Great, Great Grands difficult goes to almost impossible. It only takes a second for a tragedy to occur. Please consider it, @Winifred....it sounds like things are getting very difficult for you and the children will not get easier any time soon.

@Pooky1---your getting lost in Pawtucket (RI) is hysterical....good thing you didn't try the "big" city of Woonsocket ! Your and Maria's meals always sound so appetizing. 

@mousiegirl----cookies, too ? Is there anything you can't do ?You could tell me you grew your own wheat and I would believe it. I am Marky's "buy them and put them on a plate" type of girl. I am on top of the holiday desserts, however. A tiramisu, pumpkin cheesecake, Yule log and Black Forest cake are all sitting in the freezer waiting for Christmas. About 15 miles from here (in NY state) we have a wholesale division of a place called Carousel Cakes.

I went shopping early ! If I had bought them on-line, I would have paid for 1 what I paid for all 4..... Thanksgiving is all pies that are everyone else's responsibility.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

@marky-----I love the leash idea. Although I don't know how old @Winifred is, she has frequently alluded to the fact that she doesn't have the energy/stamina that she had when she was younger. Raising 2 toddlers and a teenager would be difficult for anyone but when they are your Great, Great Grands difficult goes to almost impossible. It only takes a second for a tragedy to occur. Please consider it, @Winifred....it sounds like things are getting very difficult for you and the children will not get easier any time soon.

@Pooky1---your getting lost in Pawtucket (RI) is hysterical....good thing you didn't try the "big" city of Woonsocket ! Your and Maria's meals always sound so appetizing. 

@mousiegirl----cookies, too ? Is there anything you can't do ?You could tell me you grew your own wheat and I would believe it. I am Marky's "buy them and put them on a plate" type of girl. I am on top of the holiday desserts, however. A tiramisu, pumpkin cheesecake, Yule log and Black Forest cake are all sitting in the freezer waiting for Christmas. About 15 miles from here (in NY state) we have a wholesale division of a place called Carousel Cakes.

I went shopping early ! If I had bought them on-line, I would have paid for 1 what I paid for all 4..... Thanksgiving is all pies that are everyone else's responsibility.

@Danky  When I was younger, I would entertain every Friday and Saturday evening, once took a week to prepare an Indian curry meal, lol, and bake up a storm.  Now, I only bake some during the holidays, a little more now that I know I can freeze, used to fill large jars with cookies that could age for a while.

I do cook from scratch, always have, but we do get take out once in a while, and sushi, though I used to make it frequently.  It takes me longer to do things as I take my time, but that gets me ito trouble and having to wear myself into the ground at the last minute, so this is not a good routine, lol.

@Winifred  has described herself as "older than dirt," lol, and it is remarkable that she can tend to two babies, now toddlers for the last three years.  My two pups wear me out, lol, couldn't raise little ones now, too decrepit, lol.