Respected Contributor

Re: What's Cooking at your house this February 2019?

Hello all! Hope everyone is having a nice evening,Made baked chicken and stuffing tonight.Gloomy all day,damp and misting on and off.

Honored Contributor

Cold here.

I went to Home Goods since I had to go to the Vet for a refill, and I came home with tall, narrow bottles of herb mixes, no salt, no calories, and tested them when I got home, all very good.  Also got a large jar of oregano which I have bought there before, basil, and parsley, can't always use fresh.  One is called garlic bread, which is good, but not garlic bread as I know it. I toasted a piece of buttered bread with this sprinkled on and it was good.  

Tonight was leftover steak sandwiches and salad for DH.

With the over three pounds of ground beef, some of which was to be used for hamburgers but wasn't, I made a meatloaf, I like this one even better than the one of a few weeks ago, and quesadillas with the rest, with guacamole on top which we ate last night, the meatloaf will be tomorrow night, but I ate it for breakfast, and for dinner on toast today, lol.

Honored Contributor

Cooking has not been in my schedule for the last week.   I made a pot roast on Sunday, and turned those leftovers into beef bbq and potato salad tonight.   

My husband just got out of the hospital after having part of his foot amputated.   The infection from the pressure ulcer went to the bone, so there was no other option.   He is doing well mentally and physically, and is able to walk on his own.   My day has been super busy getting him lined up for in home care again, washing his mountain of laundry from his hospital stay, and adjusting a few things in the house to accommodate him.   

Am also having to deal with an incident where a neighbor ran her vehicle thru my front yard!   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop    Oh my gosh,so sorry what you have been through.I wondered why there was no word from you.Prayers for you and your DH.God speed his recovery.

Respected Contributor

Red Top hope your days will smooth out. Sorry to hear about your husband yet it sounds positive due to his attitude - that is great. Now I have had drivers go through my front yard - sure makes me mad. I am the last house on a dead end one block long street. There is a BIG sign as you enter that it is a dead end. Amazing how many do not READ that sign, they get mad and then tear through my yard. For some years now I have those reflectors on the long metal sticks all across the front of my yard. Cannot imagine idiots doing that but they do. Now I have a sign on both sides of the driveway that my GRAVEL driveway is NOT a turnaround. There is ample room for them to use the street. Several years ago the water company installed a larger high pressure water line - long overdue. Well it blew right in front of my driveway the very first night and really missed up things in my hard and carport with all that water gushing. They replaced all my gravel - had just had all new gravel put down - several hundred dollars but they replaced it with pea gravel - how dumb. That stuff sticks in your shoes, car tires and everything else. I went to the hardware store the other day to find out what it will cost me to put down the larger gravel which I have always used - sure has gone up in price so will have to wait a couple more months and then replace it.

Now to get to food, last couple nights have used leftovers and anything else I could find that was not a major ordeal. Garbage day was yesterday so now have an empty Fridge and empty trash containers - can start again. Tonight I think I am tossing some mixed veggies in the WOK and then dousing them with sweet and sour sauce - love veggies that way. Actually I love veggies any way.

Then I AGAIN have to call my local newspaper - it is a weekly but I really like it. It didn't come for five weeks in a row and I was more than unhappy. Have gotten it now for 2 weeks in a row - this morning? NO newspaper again. Give me a break.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Cooking has not been in my schedule for the last week.   I made a pot roast on Sunday, and turned those leftovers into beef bbq and potato salad tonight.   

My husband just got out of the hospital after having part of his foot amputated.   The infection from the pressure ulcer went to the bone, so there was no other option.   He is doing well mentally and physically, and is able to walk on his own.   My day has been super busy getting him lined up for in home care again, washing his mountain of laundry from his hospital stay, and adjusting a few things in the house to accommodate him.   

Am also having to deal with an incident where a neighbor ran her vehicle thru my front yard!   

@RedTop  So sorry about your DH's foot, but thankfully, he can walk, and hopefully once he is healed, this will be the end of it and you and he can live peacefully.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am so very, very sorry.....I had no idea that he was in danger of losing part of his foot....Is he diabetic ?

Please send him (and you and the girls) the best......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beef stew tonight, cooked the meat yesterday in the slow cooker, so moist and tender just melts in the mouth, today the potatoes, carrots, and green Italian beans that I grew last year in some of the gravy that the beef created, in the slow cooker.

Last night I made mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower, have made this before.  Our produce market gives out free produce, of it's choice, on the weekends if one spends $30,  so this was what DH came home with Saturday evening, creamed spinach, and meatloaf.

Raining now and to continue through Sunday, at least.  I think this will keep us out of a draught.

Happy weekend to all. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Cooking a pork roast with potatoes,carrots,onion, and celery in my slow cooker today.It's 14 degrees and the sun is shinning,Have a good week-end everyone.

Honored Contributor

My husband is very tired of hospital food, so we are having brown beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, onion and chow chow relish today.  

Thank you @Winifred@hellie jo@mousiegirl@Danky, and anyone else, for your thoughts and any prayers.   My husband is among the many thousands of Vietnam veterans with health issues that are directly service connected.  

His main wish thru the years has simply been for his healthcare needs to be taken care of thru the VA system, and it is my mission to see that all of his needs are met.   Any area where my husbands needs are not met, shows me the system is failing many other unsuspecting veterans and their families.   I am but one insignificant red haired woman, but I get things done, and hospital staff remember my face.