Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking at your house this February 2019?

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Lots of rain last night, yipeee!  It is supposed to rain today and tomorrow with awful wind, H A T E wind, lol.

I finally made the cabbage soup, but typical of me, I kept adding, and it was fabulous!  I got five containers for the freezer.  This soup rivals my green soup which I didn't get to this winter, first time in years.

The soup was supposed to be cabbage,  onions, garlic, tomatoes. broth, and carrots.  I added more tomatoes than called for, basil from the freezer,  tons of cannelline beans, Goya, buy them by the case at amazon, kale, and Better Than Bouillon.  The soup looks like ribollita, nice and thick, but I have more broth that can be added at the time of serving.  I always top each bowl with extra virgin olive oil, makes it for me. Smiley Happy

I just bought a new slow cooker.......3 quart for $15. I betcha I could make the cabbage soup in it and I have all the ingredients (except basil.) 

I had homemade chicken noodle soup but my new slow cooker had not arrived yet.......it was still delicious.

@Danky  Sure, a slow cooker is great if you don't want a vat, lol, as I do. I have a large slow cooker, oval, but I can't make soup in it as when I make soup, I make a vat so I have plenty for the freezer, so use a huge pot that I have had all of my adult life.

I have made pea soup in it, but it wasn't enough to get a good batch for the freezer,  the same with refried beans, have to use a pot to get the amount I need.  I may make beef stew in it tomorrow, at least the meat, and if the veges don't fit, I can cook them and add just before serving.

Honored Contributor

@ULY wrote:

A local supermarket chain sells mama mancini's meatballs in a one pound container for $5.99 so we dedided to try it. As someone who learned how to make sauce and meatballs under my grandmother I was very curious to taste both the sauce and the meat and see how it compared and if it tasted homemade.

@ULY  I make the best meatballs in the universe,  different from the usual, so light and fluffy they almost rise off of the plate, LOL.

Honored Contributor

Rain all night with heavy wind, and now with light, hope it remains this way.

We were going to have hamburgers last night, but remembered yesterday that there were ribeyes in the frig, so I grilled those and made French fries and a blue cheese mixed greens with garlic and tomatoes salad.  A small caramel apple for me an hour later.

I bought the apples from zulily, Affy Tapple Caramel Apples, but the shipping name was Mrs. Prindables.  They are not the Mrs. Prindables usual type apples, but are very good.  I do like the size rather than the large, and I only like the plain caramel or the caramel and peanuts apples, no chocolate.

I will make stew today, havn't made it in eons, good weather for it though.

Everyone stay warm and cozy. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone. glad to see some new people on here. after being below 0 a few days ago we are in the 50s now. maria made a big pan of chicken and rice soup and she put a bowl of it in the frezzer. we have a great big black pan with white specks on it. we allso have an oval crock pot that is 8 quarts with removable inside. hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

Making pot roast with scalloped potatoes tonight.Will have leftovers tomorrow night.Everyone enjoy and have a great week.

Respected Contributor

I got something delivered from the local Italian restaurant....... It's called saltimbocca. It has a bunch of spinach covered with chicken (boneless), mozzarella, Parimesan, prosciutto and brown gravy made with wine. To say it was indescribable would be a put-down........$17.50 with potatoes and salad and it would easily feed 3-4 people. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

We were going to have hamburgers last night, but remembered yesterday that there were ribeyes in the frig, so I grilled those and made French fries and a blue cheese mixed greens with garlic and tomatoes salad.  A small caramel apple for me an hour later.

I bought the apples from zulily, Affy Tapple Caramel Apples, but the shipping name was Mrs. Prindables.  They are not the Mrs. Prindables usual type apples, but are very good.  I do like the size rather than the large, and I only like the plain caramel or the caramel and peanuts apples, no chocolate.

Hey Mousiegirl............HSN sells the Affy Tapple apples.....I wonder if Prindables changed their name to be able to sell on HSN. My favorite Apple is from Williams-Sonoma but I would "settle " for Prindables in a pinch! LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Hey Mousiegirl............HSN sells the Affy Tapple apples.....I wonder if Prindables changed their name to be able to sell on HSN. My favorite Apple is from Williams-Sonoma but I would "settle " for Prindables in a pinch! LOL

@Danky  Interesting, but makes sense since now all three are owned by the same company, HSN, QVC, and Zulily.  Have you ever tried the Williams-Sonoma peppermint bark?  I used to buy it every Christmas, then decided I could make it, but havn't yet, lol.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. today was like spring. bright and sunny and its 63 now. maria made pulled pork in crockpot and had it on kings hawain buns and cole slaw and corn and peas mixed. very good. hope you all have a great week and eat well.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Danky  Interesting, but makes sense since now all three are owned by the same company, HSN, QVC, and Zulily.  Have you ever tried the Williams-Sonoma peppermint bark?  I used to buy it every Christmas, then decided I could make it, but havn't yet, 

@mousiegirl.......never tried the peppermint bark.......Since my Mom used to give us peppermint flavored cod liver oil, I have a strong aversion to anything with mint......