Honored Contributor

Re: What pies do you make? Any you like to buy?

Pie at this house means chocolate, pecan, apple or cherry.  The only pie I have ever purchased was a lemon meringue.  

Honored Contributor

I don't make pies often but when I do it's usually apple crumb, peach crumb, pear crumble, pumpkin custard or pecan/walnut.

I don't buy whole pies but on occasion when we go to a favorite family restaurant, we bring a piece of coconut cream pie home for eating later.  Their pie is delicious and uses a lot of coconut in the pie and on the meringue on top.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Week-end before last I got a craving for a pie since I had not made any since Christmas (always a pumpkin then)  so I made a chocolate chess pie and cut the recipe in half since it is just me.  I bought the individual graham cracker pie shells and poured out filling into four of them and cut the bake time down by half.  Still have one in the freezer and oh so good.

Marie Calllender mini pies is what I get for just myself most of the time in chocolate and coconut.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I don't like cooked fruit except for apples.  I occasionally will make apple crisp so I don't have to mess with the crust.  I am baking impaired but I make great homemade ice cream!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

am baking impaired but I make great homemade ice cream!

No problem.  You do that and we will bring the Pie.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

My family LOVES apple pie...so I make that the most. I will make those cream pies that use fruit,jello and Cool Whip on the graham cracker crust in the summer......

Respected Contributor

Trader Joe's has some really great pies.  Thye used to have an apple pie that was lowish in fat, but they don't seem to carry it anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

As with most folks, I've a few favs: some because they're just darn good and others because taste and art combine to make a wonderful presentation piece.

1.  German Apple Tart onto which is poured a lemon souffle mixture.  The end result is divine.

2.  Blum's Coffee Toffee Pie

3.  Pecan Pie

4.  Lemon Meringue Pie

5.  Italian Plum Tart (for 1 month only, mid-June to mid-July, so I make two a week during the short season for these plums.)

I make the above.  Do not purchase.

Oh you HAD to mention Blum's...and coffee toffee pie! Yes you really ARE an SF Native!......oh how I miss Blums...Nothing they had was bad, but that pie was legend....oh and the Coffee Crunch Cake...thanks for the memories!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't make pies a whole lot, usually during the holidays and I make a lemon ice box pie at Easter. I like those much better than lemon meringue. They are like key lime pies only with lemon. I put lots of lemon zest in it.

I also make banoffe pie (one of my favorites) banana cream, pumpkin (with extra cloves) apple, blueberry, pecan and custard pie. Those are big in the south. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I make fresh strawberry pie with a shortcake crust. Have made it so many times can practically do it in my sleep. Now I'm craving it!