Honored Contributor

What pies do you make? Any you like to buy?

LOVE pie!  Generally, though, I bake cakes for company.  If I do make pies, they're pumpkin, chocolate chess (chess pies go back to probably before civil war), a "French" coconut (good, but the butter causes the crust to be a little soft), sometimes I've done baked Alaska when I wanted to dress up ice cream, and a holiday vegetable pie made with Italian canned tomatoes, gryere cheese. basil, and oregano.  

Love the fruit pies at Sams Clubs!  Some in resturants aren't that good!

Respected Contributor

Re: What pies do you make? Any you like to buy?

I love pie too.  I generally make fruit pies. Blueberry is so easy - no peeling or dicing.  At the holidays I make pumpkin or pecan.  If I'm really feeling ambitious I'll make a homemade lemon meringue. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make my two favorites, pecan and lemon meringue! I make peach on occasion as well, husband's favorite. 

I buy French Silk.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

I'm not good w/crusts and since it's 2 of us, I've started making  Crostatas. Except for pumpkin at holiday time. Crostata.JPG

Trusted Contributor

I recently found a recipe for cherry pie using canned red tart cherries...... my new favorite (among many!!) HeartHeart

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

Oh come on -- now I'm craving pie!  Argh!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of "go to" pies that I make on a fairly routine basis. One is a white chocolate "Dream Pie" using white chocolate pudding and Dream Whip in a prebaked pie shell. And the second is blueberry pies that I just made yesterday and will be making again come next Saturday.

I have these cute little Wilton mini pie pans that are about four inches across that make great single serve pies. A can of pie filling makes six to eight of the little guys depending on how full you fill them, so I'll use half the can one week and then the other half the next.

I went to individual pies due to my (now deceased) father. Mom used to make regular, full sized pies and my Dad would wait until everyone got their slice before getting his, but when he got "his" slice he'd tilt the pan and even bang on it to get more filling to fall into "his area" and pretty much all anyone else would get after he got his slice would be an empty pie shell as he'd have the pie filling all on his plate. Individual pies solves that problem, plus you get more crust per pie and since the crust is my favorite part, it's a win-win.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm a pie baker and will make anything I'm hungry for or DH would like me to make. Fruit pies (apple, blueberry, cherry, peach), custard pies (lemon and lemon sponge, pumpkin, etc.), chiffon pies (chocolate, lemon), peanut butter pies, Amish vanilla pies, sugar pies (an old-timey pie).

One of our favorite pies is an Apple Pecan Pie with Lemon Custard. Delicious!  I just made a Lemon Meringue Pie last weekend because I was so hungry for lemon. Black-Bottom Peanut Butter Pie, Shoofly Pie. 

Right now in our freezer are two peach pies, a regular two-crust apple pie, and two Dutch crumb apple pies. I need to get them used.

We don't buy pies. Not when I can make them.

We love pie.

Honored Contributor

Banana Cream Pie and French Apple Tart are my go to pies. This is from our Christmas dinner.

IMG_7427.JPG

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the last time I bought a pie. I do bake pies pretty often though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval