Trusted Contributor

What national brand bread has nuts/oats/grains throughout the bread?

And not just on the outside? I love wheat bread with lots of stuff in it, but there are so many kinds out now - locally we have Dave's Killer Bread, but it costs $5. Is there a brand out there <$5 with stuff inside the bread, & not just outside? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What national brand bread has nuts/oats/grains throughout the bread?

Pepperidge Farm 15 grain (not 12 grain!) was ranked highly by America's Test Kitchen.

Trusted Contributor

That extra 3 grains must make it special - thanks! I'll look for it tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Arnold Whole Grains - Healthnut

Their other breads may have grains throughout but with Healthnut, I can really taste the extra bits. It is by no means a lo cal bread. I don't know how healthy it is, but it is tasty.

I buy it on sale for $2.50-2.99 - otherwise regular price is probably just under $5

Super Contributor

Oroweat makes a lot of healthy oat/nut/grain breads. If you check out their website they show all their varieties, too many to list here.

Occasional Contributor

I buy Arnold whole grains oatnut bread. Wal Mart has the best price of under 3.00 a loaf.

At the grocery stores it's just under 5.00. Once in a great while, it goes on sale .

Honored Contributor

Pepperidge Farms. It makes great toast too.

If you have a natural food store near you, I'm sure they carry breads that meet your criteria. A store near us sells breads with grains, nuts and fruits, made by a local baker. They carry a variety of breads and they're all delicious. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

Best price on Arnold breads (also Entenmann's products) is on the bakery distributer racks at the front of your Big Lots. This is NOT stale bread or store returns. It's the stock leftover after the truck stocks the shelves at your local supermarket. Before the driver brings the excess back to the distribution center to sell at their bakery outlet, they stop at Big Lots where they have their own rack at the front of the store.

Same goes for Nature's Own, Wonder Bread. Different distributer, but they also have a rack right next to the Arnold/Entenmann's rack. If you're a 'die hard' Wonder Bread fan, FORGET the new stuff. Doesn't taste ANYTHING like what it used to. You can't make a decent bread ball from it; Flowers dropped the ball when they said they would start making Wonder Bread again.

When I pick up my Arnold potato bread at Big Lots ($1.12) and my Chocolate Covered Entenmann's donuts ($1.60), they always have a good week or more before the 'use by' date.

The 'stale' or about to expire bread from your supermarket goes back to the bakery outlet for distribution to local food banks or is sold as animal feed if it's already expired.