Honored Contributor

Re: What kitchen "helper" is hardest for cleanup that you use?

I love my Vitamix but I did peanut butter once, never again.

I also ground my own meat, another disaster to clean.

I have the 13 in 1 and it's made to grind meat, I don't know why I didn't listen to that little voice in my head telling me, don't do it!

Smoothies & soups is enough for me

I still have an old Salad Shooter, love it.   it's a bit tedious to clean but I'm not giving it up.

Visitor

I liked my rotisserie, the crazy squeaking drove me crazy, though!
Honored Contributor

My 15 year old George Foreman grill is painless.  As soon as I remove the grilled cheese (99% of its use) I immediately swipe it with a wet paper towel before we eat. That's it.  I figure the heat kills any germs the next time I use it, so no soap or detergent.  If DH cooks, he tends to forget the cleaning part.  So next time I heat the grill and wipe off plates with a wet paper towel and I'm back in business.  We haven't died yet.

Honored Contributor

@Adamsgirlwrote:
I liked my rotisserie, the crazy squeaking drove me crazy, though!

That makes me crazy too, but it's a great machine.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Othereeeenwrote:

I have found that ALL of the "helpers" are GIMMICKS that are more work to use and clean than the end product produced.

At age 62, I use a paring knife, a chef's knife, stainless steel cookware that I learned the correct way to cook in by watching YouTube. And a small hand mixer.

ALL and I mean ALL the other GIMMICKS have gone to the Salvation Army if still workng or in the trash.

Eye opening, and shameful on the amount of money out the door.

Every time I see another supposedly handy gimmick that's supposed to make life a breeze, I chuckle.

O well. Took years to realize. Really came home when I cleaned out Mom's home after her death. That's when you find all the "time savers" stuck in the back of cabinets, and the most used items right near the stove cabinets/drawers:

The paring knife, the chef's knife, one or two frying pans and "sauce pans" ( Fancy name for POTS), and a small hand mixer.

The recent item that cracks me up: Eric Thiess making a "Fritatta" with 36 eggs for the "Crowds coming over on Sunday morning" using the POORLY RATED CopperKraap pans.

I tend to agree with you, but I have to say that pull- chopper gizmo is a great little chopper !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I did the same thing @Othereeeen with all those handy, dandy small kitchen appliances and have not ever said I'm sorry I gave them to Goodwill.

Rice cooker, blender, food processor, waffle maker, sandwich maker, 12 cup coffee maker, deep fryer...

Regular Contributor

I DO LOVE MY GIZMOS, IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER I HAVE THEM AND WHERE, LOL.

Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe - I had one of the original grills also.  After I removed my cooked food and unplugged the grill, I put 2 or 3 layers of wet paper towels on the grill.  Close the lid and let the  towels steam the food residue.  When the grill is cool, wipe off the food and clean the grill plates.  This always worked for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Othereeeen- I'm the same way about not buying or keeping any of those "helpers". My biggest issue is that I'm in a town home and just don't have the cabinet space or the counter top space to store them. If you have a big kitchen with plenty of cabinet space, then storage isn't an issue.

Honored Contributor

I have a handheld spiralizer that is hard to clean.  Stuff gets stuck in the barrel and there is no way to get it clean.  I still have it but I haven’t used it in ages.  

Great thread!