Valued Contributor

Re: What kind of bread do you use in meatloaf?

I use Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix................the one in the bag along with beef bouillion. The recipe used to be on the back of the bag MANY years ago. I have long since lost it and thus just throw it together from memory as best I can.

Trusted Contributor

My preference is soft bread crumbs in both meatloaf and meatballs. I think dry crumbs equals dry texture.

Honored Contributor

I only use Panko bread crumbs, oats, or saltine crackers---most often it's oats. Ree Drummond uses slices of white bread soaked in milk in her meatloaf.

Honored Contributor

I also use oats. When I was growing up I'd see women use cubes of bread and that grossed me out. Wet bread makes me feel queasy. Smiley Happy Oats work great

Respected Contributor

Crackers only-no bread. My 1st MIL was THE best cook. Her meatloaf was the best I ever had. She used crackers only. I learned alot from her, but mine was never as good as hers,lol....

My SIL(her daughter) also made a cracker pie (mock apple) that was out of this world!

Super Contributor

I use Quaker oats also.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Contributor

Only used saltine crackers. I put in zip lock bag and use rolling pin to crush. It's what I grew up knowing!

Respected Contributor

I use oats. I grind 1/2 cup oats in the blender very fine for 2 lbs beef. I do not like pieces of bread in meatloaf.

Respected Contributor

No.I use the "Classic " recipe with ketchup,worstershire,one egg,etc.I don't.t know how to post links but it's under the one you found in a Google search...lol.I always add little top glaze of ketchup because that's what my mom did. If I need to use up some leftover green bell pepper,I have been known finely chop it and throw it in too. Anyway,it's not fancy but it's good and makes a good sandwich too. I like all kinds of meatloaf. This is just the one I make at home.
Esteemed Contributor

I use bread crumbs. I save the heels from loves of bread and make bread crumbs.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.