Respected Contributor

Re: What kind of a cook are you?

Clean as I go, makes the end easier. Don't use recipes much (other than baked goods) which makes it difficult if someone wants the recipe, I tell them they have to watch me cause in most cases I wing it but usually turns out quite well. This is the way my Grandmother & Mother cooked so I guess it's genetic.
Respected Contributor

I don't generally use recipes, but I will read them and get ideas or find one that I like and actually follow it. I do follow recipes for baked goods as they are far more specific in need.

I tend to load the dishwasher as I go and run it while things cook or we eat, that way, it is done and ready to be reloaded when we are finished (if it is a meal that uses many dishes). I do love crockpot meals since they can do all the work while I'm gone to work! I can enjoy a home cooked meal when I get home too!
Honored Contributor

I clean as I go and try to use fewer dishes if I can. For example, I'll measure all the liquid ingredients in a large measuring cup in the order that makes the most sense when adding up the different amounts. I'll use my scale for dry ingredients and just tare between additions. 

As far as the food itself, I'm eclectic. In a week I could cook Indian, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Southern all on different nights. I do stick to side dishes that go with the origin of the main course. I try not to Americanize internations cuisines except on those occasions when we feel like gringos tacos instead of Mexican tacos. 

I'm a from scratch cook and baker. I can my own stock and dried beans, jams and tomatoes. I rarely buy prepared desserts instead I bake my own cakes, pies, cheesecakes and bread. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I too clean up the kitchen as I go.  My style is to cook from scratch, but there are times I take the semi-homemade approach as well.  

Respected Contributor

I would describe my cooking skills as "meh". 

Respected Contributor

I'm a messy cook!  When I was still in grade school, my Grandma allways said "it won't taste good unless you make a mess!  I guess that means I'm a GREAT cook!  LOL

Contributor

Slow cooker! I don't really like cooking but I can if need be. 

Respected Contributor

I cook mostly from scratch and usually only use recipes for baking.

I can destroy a kitchen in no time though

Honored Contributor

I love to cook and bake , I'm not afraid to try any thing once. I have a galley kitchen so I have to be very organized and do dishes as I dirty them. My husband and son love my cooking and to them I'm the best cook in the world.LOL

Honored Contributor

Rather messy in the kitchen. I do rinse bowls and pans as I go because DH likes to do the dishes but I don't want him stuck with the crusted on gunk. I tend to cook traditional things that I was shown how to make as a child. Today I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, chicken pot pie for lunch, and we will have white chicken chili for supper.