Trusted Contributor

Re: What is your quick, cheap meal you would NOT serve to guests?

[ Edited ]

I would say Five Way Chile but I remembered I did serve that to guests once a million years ago!

Eta- Canned chile with beans over spaghetti, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream.

Occasional Contributor

One of our favorites is "sloppy joes".  Brown 1 lb hamburger, add a can of Chicken Gumbo soup and a big squirt of mustard.  Serve on a bun with pickles.   Yummo. 

Valued Contributor

A box mac & cheese with cut up Canadian Bacon.

Esteemed Contributor

Love peas right outta the can. Enough for me. 

Respected Contributor

A scrambled egg sandwich with a mayo/mustard combo on the bread, though I'd fix one for guests if they wanted it!

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gizmogal  I would serve hot dogs and baked beans to anyone. Especially Bush's beans! 

@PA Mom-mom   I feel better reading your reply!  It's a low-rent meal but it's really yummy. Bush's country style beans and a Nathan's Angus beef frank are the elevated version.

Perhaps I should rethink my cautions about serving it to a guest. I have really nice bowls, a tasteful flatware pattern, and cloth napkins/place mats!  Maybe it's a meal I can dress up for company!

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gizmogal  I would serve hot dogs and baked beans to anyone. Especially Bush's beans! 

@PA Mom-mom   I feel better reading your reply!  It's a low-rent meal but it's really yummy. Bush's country style beans and a Nathan's Angus beef frank are the elevated version.

Perhaps I should rethink my cautions about serving it to a guest. I have really nice bowls, a tasteful flatware pattern, and cloth napkins/place mats!  Maybe it's a meal I can dress up for company!

Here's a casserole I serve all the time:

Hot Dogs and Baked Beans Casserole This is our favorite way of making bot hot dogs and baked beans. We add one or two packages of hot dogs to the casserole at the beginning of bake time.

Ingredients: 1 pound bacon 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce 1 large sweet onion, chopped 2 cups packed brown sugar 1 to 2 packages of hot dogs (we use beef)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Drain off all but two tablespoons of bacon grease. Sauté the chopped onion in that grease. In a large bowl combine beans, chili sauce, onion, brown sugar and bacon - and hot dogs if using. Pour into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I really like some canned veg and it makes a perfectly fine meal for me.

I also love canned beets but haven't had them in ages.  I have been known to eat a can of corn for a meal or, probably considered rather gross by some, a can of Campbell's bean with bacon soup.   It's very tasty, right out of the can!  Smiley Very Happy

I used to eat a can of stewed tomatoes from time to time.

The only canned veg I really won't touch is canned peas or asparagus.  Both are good veg (I don't know a veg I don't like) but the canned versions are gross.

@chickenbutt I love canned whole kernal corn out of the can, and I love Hunts stewed tomatoes out of the can (as a side for cottage cheese too!).

And I love canned green peas--cold out of the can.  I have been known to feast on tuna or sardines with a little hot sauce (i know--SALT!) and a small can of green peas!

And no, I would not serve that to my husband or guests.  When he traveled a lot the cat and me would have sardine feasts!  Cat MadCat LOL 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A bowl of Rice Krispies with a sliced banana; then a yogurt chocolate ice cream bar!  I don't share my ice cream bars with nobody, lol!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner  I agree with @Group 5 minus 1. I would serve any meal I make to guests. Of course, I would pick the meal to suit the guests.

@PA Mom-mom Well, I am going to assume you do not share some of my weird tastes such as sardines and smoked oysters and such.  I feel confident my friends would not appreciate that and soon be off to the drive through!  Woman Very Happy

@Sooner  I'm wondering if you share some of my weird tastes such as scrapple, fried brains, blood sausage, pickled pigs feet, souse, and cow's tongue. Our visitors are always interested in these offerings - unless they are vegetarian.