Honored Contributor

Re: What is your quick, cheap meal you would NOT serve to guests?

@wagirl wrote:

My fave go-to easy thing is a bowl of oatmeal with nuts  and fruits-dried/fresh,  and yogurt and a little brown sugar 

@wagirl I have been eating my oatmeal with a little flax oil instead of butter and it honestly gives you that "mouth feel" and I would swear it has butter in it.

I don't know if that appeals to you or not, but I have enjoyed it and supposedly getting something healthy.

Honored Contributor

I was thinking about pizza.  I often think about pizza.  Should look into that.

Anyway, one thing I do sometimes is I like to get one of the DiGiorno's Three-Meats pizzas with the mozzarella in the crust.  I add a little more shredded mozzarella (cuz why not), and some pepperoni slices, then a little more mozzarella (I love cheese!).

I get three to four meals out of this.  But I'd never make it for anybody else unless they wanted it.   I get to have some pizza every now and then and it tastes fine to me, so it's worth it AND it's like $7 for 3-4 meals.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner --you know--I have never put butter in oatmeal----but do put in flaxseed  and other things like that in it. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@wagirl Oh a little butter, a little brown sugar, and some whole milk!  Woman Embarassed  Sometimes!  

But even at that it's better than a donut or a waffle I guess!  And you 'gotta have a little somethin' somethin' now and then to get you going--or to eat before going back to bed on a cold day!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ---pretty much my fave quick, hearty meal anytime of day!!!

Trusted Contributor

I still cook it today! lol gives you a ton, great leftovers.  I add sauted onion, mushrooms, ground beef and worchestershire....love it!

@ScrapHappy wrote:

My husband's go to college meal.  Beef Rice A Roni.  When he wants to make it a little "hardier", he adds cooked ground beef to it.  He still cooks it once in a while to this day.

Honored Contributor

Tacos - but only because I would have to fry all those corn tortillas!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Poached eggs with creamed spinach.

@LyndaGee I am wondering if you took a slice of cornbread, split it in two, and put this on top how that would be?  Maybe put the split cornbread under the broiler for a minute to crisp it a little?

Cornbread benedict (Husband just said it sounded good and would be "Eggs Bubba"!)?  Maybe with a deli slice of ham?  Or does that take it out of our "not serve to guests" category?  Woman Embarassed

THANKS for the idea!  

Sounds delicious.  I will definitely try that!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@DeeJoyce wrote:

A can of white and dark meat chicken, 9.75 ounce, drained, a jar of alfredo sauce (Paul Newman's was very good), and boiled rotini pasta.  It's even good leftover.  So Easy.

Ok, this really sounds good to me.  I have some cans of Kirkland chicken (I think it's only white meat but that's what I prefer anyway) and always have rotini on hand.   Putting PN alfredo on list.  Thank You!  Smiley Happy

Sounds like that would make a few meals, so I like that too.

As I mentioned the other day, I put this alfredo on my list.  I was at the grocery store today and disheartened that the spot where the Paul Newman products were was empty all but for one jar of one of his red sauces.  Smiley Sad

I pondered it and decided to snag a jar of the Rao brand.  I've never used this, as I actually don't generally use jarred sauces, but have always heard very good things about the Rao brand, so I hope this one is good!  Smiley Happy

Today I made this dish.    It's very tasty.

As I mentioned, they didn't have the Newman brand at my store but there was Rao, which is thought to be a very good brand, so I got that.  It's a 15oz jar.

Not knowing how much rotini would translate to that amount of sauce and one large can of Kirkland chicken, I decided to start with about 3.5c of rotini.     

After the rotini was cooked, I poured it into a colander.  Then I opened the can of chicken.  This chicken is very nicely seasoned, so I poured the water out of the can onto the top of the rotini in the colander.  I figured that would season it nicely.

Except for the pasta water, I didn't add a grain of salt.

Then, I put the chicken into the hot pan and broke it up a bit.  After it warmed a bit in the pan I poured in the alfredo sauce and got it all mixed up and heated up.  Then I just added the rotini back into the pan and got it all mixed up and fully heated.

It's really nice.  Smiley Happy  Thanks again for this idea.  This will feed me for a few days or more.

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

Mash potato tacos.garnished with shredded cabbage and salsa, yum!.

@SoCal Bred You might be in the running for the creativity award with this one!  Interesting!