Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your quick, cheap meal you would NOT serve to guests?

@Sooner wrote:

Woman Embarassed  I just made one of mine and I have to laugh.  I have a giant collection of cookbooks, stocked freezer and pantry and I made:

Ramen noodles and a can of zucchini and tomatoes.  

And we liked it!  Woman Very HappyWoman TongueWoman Surprised  It is one of those go to's when you have no intent to cook and you've already had a sandwich, a peanut butter, tuna, and cheese and crackers the other days.  .  .LOL!!!

Wow, you have guests?  I'm jealous!  😜

Don't tell anyone but we love that canned zuc/tomato mix.  Haven't yet tried it with ramen, though, just regular pasta.

Maybe I wouldn't serve my version of Ramen Leftovers DeLuxe to guests....ramen prepped as on package, handful of minute rice, assorted Whatever's In Fridge.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my kids were young, and we had busy weeknights w/ sports practices, etc., I'd make creamed tuna on toast. It's still a favorite of theirs when they come to visit and we're at odds over 'what to fix for supper'. LOL!

Make a few cups of white sauce, add tuna & salt & pepper, serve over hot buttered toast.

I like to use a combo of solid white and chunk light. The cheap stuff adds a lot of flavor, and I don't bother draining it.....since that's basically impossible anyway! Smiley LOL

ETA: On 2 occasions, I did end up serving this to company!

I'd made creamed tuna on a Halloween night, and my oldest son dropped by with a new girlfriend, so they both pulled up a chair.

After supper, my son said to me 'Well, I guess she's a keeper! She ate creamed tuna.' 

The second time, another son was traveling with a girlfriend & stopped by when they were in the area. She'd been sick and wanted to lie down, so went upstairs for a good nap.

Later, he and I ate a quick supper of creamed tuna, and he brought up a small plate for her. He soon came down w/ a clean plate, and exchanged it for a larger one.

She liked it! LOL!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

I make these at least once a week as they are budget friendly:  bean burritos with canned refried beans, cheese, sauce and whatever you want, cheap and easy.  Buttered noodles done the Italian way, easy and few ingredients.

Honored Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

I make these at least once a week as they are budget friendly:  bean burritos with canned refried beans, cheese, sauce and whatever you want, cheap and easy.  Buttered noodles done the Italian way, easy and few ingredients.

La Victoria makes a very nice 'taco sauce' that would be perfect for those burritos.  They have a few varieties.  I get the 'mild' because I don't like hot.  But it's very tasty and I've used it for many years for my brand (not hot! hehe) of Mexican food.   Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

We have BREAKFAST for supper

Homade pecan or chocolate chip  waffles, blueberry if in season

Thick sliced crispy bacon

Eggs..sunny-side up or scrambled

or my hubby and I love

any type of pasta with garlic olive oil

or my grandson loves

egg noodles with butter, sour cream and cottage cheese

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

La Victoria makes a very nice 'taco sauce' that would be perfect for those burritos.  They have a few varieties.  I get the 'mild' because I don't like hot.  But it's very tasty and I've used it for many years for my brand (not hot! hehe) of Mexican food.   Smiley Happy

thank you! a must try.....I am picky and only use the Goya refried beans, they are excellent Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Poached eggs with creamed spinach.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@DeeJoyce wrote:

A can of white and dark meat chicken, 9.75 ounce, drained, a jar of alfredo sauce (Paul Newman's was very good), and boiled rotini pasta.  It's even good leftover.  So Easy.

Ok, this really sounds good to me.  I have some cans of Kirkland chicken (I think it's only white meat but that's what I prefer anyway) and always have rotini on hand.   Putting PN alfredo on list.  Thank You!  Smiley Happy

Sounds like that would make a few meals, so I like that too.

As I mentioned the other day, I put this alfredo on my list.  I was at the grocery store today and disheartened that the spot where the Paul Newman products were was empty all but for one jar of one of his red sauces.  Smiley Sad

I pondered it and decided to snag a jar of the Rao brand.  I've never used this, as I actually don't generally use jarred sauces, but have always heard very good things about the Rao brand, so I hope this one is good!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt Love buttered noodles.  What is Italian style?  Recipe?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I've been making this a lot for lunch now that I'm home for lunch.

It's what we used to make at Girl Scout Camp.  A can of soup and ground beef.

I use 1 lb grassfed ground beef and season it.  Brown the beef then add a can of soup.  I like Wolfgang Puck's Hearty Garden Vegetable.

Makes about 4-5 servings.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN