Respected Contributor

Re: What is your quick, cheap meal you would NOT serve to guests?

Barber's chicken cordon blue. I first discovered them at BJ's and it was love at first bite. They're a great quick meal, especially for a working mother, but I wouldn't serve them to guests. 

Honored Contributor

Pigs in a blanket, fried chicken livers, or my fried potato Spam skillet.   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Thank you for your kind words. Gotta go -- need to eat some applesauce!  LOL

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

My "lazy" one pan cheeseburger....

I HATE handling ground meat, so I take the one pound package of ground beef, crumble it in the frying pan and brown it completely, drain if necessary. 

Then, I put a few slices of real American cheese on top of the browned meat, and put the lid on it so the cheese melts all over, then a few thin slices of raw onion and a dollop of sour cream, and voila!!!   An easy, one pan, delicious quick "Cheesburger in a pan".

I usually eat about half of that, save the rest on a plate in the fridge for later that day or late night snack.

It looks messy, but my mouth and stomach can't tell!!!!*

(* I don't eat bread, so I don't use or miss a roll. Been on Keto way of eating for 5 years and have kept the 50 pounds off that I lost in the first ten months.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's nothing here that I wouldn't serve to guests except maybe some produce that's seen better days. I guess the quickest and least expensive "meal" would be a couple of hard boiled eggs, 🤷‍♀️

Respected Contributor

hormel corned beef hash with egg on top.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

My "lazy" one pan cheeseburger....

I HATE handling ground meat, so I take the one pound package of ground beef, crumble it in the frying pan and brown it completely, drain if necessary. 

Then, I put a few slices of real American cheese on top of the browned meat, and put the lid on it so the cheese melts all over, then a few thin slices of raw onion and a dollop of sour cream, and voila!!!   An easy, one pan, delicious quick "Cheesburger in a pan".

I usually eat about half of that, save the rest on a plate in the fridge for later that day or late night snack.

It looks messy, but my mouth and stomach can't tell!!!!*

(* I don't eat bread, so I don't use or miss a roll. Been on Keto way of eating for 5 years and have kept the 50 pounds off that I lost in the first ten months.)

Yay for you, @Othereeeen!  👊

Trusted Contributor

Sardines on toast.  I use skinless, boneless sardines in olive oil, add a splash of vinegar and a little onion.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

In cool weather, I'll sautee some onion and add it to a pot of okra and tomatoes with worshire and a touch of soy.  We  have it as a vegetable.   Yum!!!!

DH isn't a fan of zucchini.  I roast cut up pieces  in the oven for myself.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

What a fun question! We're so used to sharing our loveliest recipes - it's interesting to see what we do when no one is looking, lol.

Anything I make for DH is suitable for guests, but when he's not home, all bets are off. 

My go-to is pasta with butter and parmesan - sometimes I add frozen peas to make it "healthy". Ha! 

Also rice with some olive oil, garlic and a bag of frozen chopped broccoli... I can live on that for several days if necessary.

I'm another one who can heat up a can of Bush's vegetarian baked beans and call it dinner.

Or a big bowl of popcorn.

Or a bowl of original Cheerios with bananas and blueberries.

The list goes on, but there is a theme... if left on my own, I'm a really "cheap date".

~ house cat ~