Respected Contributor

Re: What is your oldest working electric appliance?

I have a 50 year old Panasonic iron.  NOT a steam iron.  It is lightweight.  I don't iron much so it hasn't seen heavy use. I just mist garments with water in a spray bottle.  

I have had steam irons but they are heavy and spit/dribble water, need to be emptied, etc. Some required distilled water. The ones that used regular water accumulated mineral deposits.  For the little ironing I do my old Panasonic is fine.

Valued Contributor

I have a Sunbeam toaster and Sunbeam mixer which are both 50 years old and still working.  They were wedding gifts and even though I don't use the mixer much, I won't give either up.

Honored Contributor

Zojirushi something:  Contenders are a Zojirushi bread machine (either the Supreme or 1-lb loaf machine) or a Zojirushi Nuero Fuzzy Logic Rice cooker I bought from QVC. Any of these are pushing 30 years.

Trusted Contributor

A 49 year old Kenmore electric dryer that we bought before my son was born in 1973.

Frequent Contributor

50 year old original brand "Crock Pot"  that I got with green stamps.

Valued Contributor

I have a 46 year old GE hand mixer my Grandmother bought me, it still works, but this sounds crazy, I don't want to use it in fear it will stop working...LOL....I will never get rid of it anyway, I will always keep it.

Respected Contributor

My oldest electrical kitchen appliance is my 41 year old Rival crockpot. Received it as a wedding gift. We use it frequently all year long. Not just the colder months. Hope it keeps working. I don’t care for the new crockpot/slow cookers.
Respected Contributor

What a great question!

I am beyond impressed as to how long all of you have had your appliances. Amazing! Back in the day, things were meant to last and the quality and the pride was reflective of that ethic.

If the same question is asked in another 15-20 years, I dare say the responses would sharply differ. We now live in age of built in obsolescence - for the most part, not all.

I am almost embarrassed to say that mine is my 20 plus year old refrigerator. It leaks like crazy but I just add or move bowls to catch the water accordingly. No complaints! 

Respected Contributor

a singer sewing machine 

bought approx 40+ yrs ago

from Service Merchandise ----remember them?

it's a low end basic unit 

still runs and works fine

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Kenmore sewing machine 1977, Admiral washer 2000, and upright freezer about 1998.