Respected Contributor

Re: What is your oldest working electric appliance?

My old friend, a Hamilton Beach Crock Watcher crock pot, about 50 y/o.  I'm replacing it because it only does one thing and the cord is getting brittle, the glass lid has a nick. The replacement slow cooks, sears, time and temp controllable and removeable insert can be used on stove or oven: An Instant Pot brand, $20 less for ordering this color, must be an unpopular color. Should arrive Monday.

419zc3f6neL._SY180_.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We bought a house in June of 2021.  It was built in 1983.  They left the washer and dryer.  I swear they must be the originals.  One is a Maytag and the other is a Whirlpool.  They are the best I've ever had.  Nothing fancy, no electronics or computer chips.  Turn the dials and hit the start knob.  Everything comes out great.  I hope they last as long as we do.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The oldest appliance is a freezer of 53 years. I bought it when I first moved into the house I still occupy. It is a Kenmore, with manual defrost.

I keep in in the garage as an extra. and every few years, I empty it, open the garage door on a hot day and let the ice fall. I think I paid about $200.

It has never let me down and will probably out live me !

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your oldest working electric kitchen appliance?

kitchenaid tilt stand mixer from the early 1960s in avocado green.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Re: What is your oldest working electric kitchen appliance?

*A GE handmixer from 1965.

*A Farberware electric coffeemaker. Was my aunt's, I inherited it when she passed in 1992. She had it for many years.

*Singer sewing machine that was my grandmother's; think it is from late 30's to early 40's.

Frequent Contributor

Sunbeam stand mixer Mom got with Blue Chip stamps in the late 60's.

Also still have her electric skillet from the late 50's - early 60's but it hasn't been used for a decade, so not sure if it still works or not. 

Janet in Georgia
Trusted Contributor

@Jo1313  In my basement I have my mom and dad's 1947 Philco Refrigerator. The thing is a beast as far as longevity. They had it in their basement too my whole life. You just can't kill this thing. LOL

Meanwhile, both mom and I went through at least four refigerators apiece for upstairs in our kitchens.

They don't build them like that anymore. If it ever stops functioning, I have no idea who could fix it. I would probably just give it a nice funeral and junk it. LOL.Woman LOL I do enjoy the comforting sound of it humming. A familiar sound that I heard forever.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

My Black and Decker chopper.  It has to be at least 15 years old; maybe older.  Still works like a charm Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

My Kitchenaid stand mixer--It sits out on my counter top and earns it's spot. I use it everyday or every other day. I have a hand held mixer, but by the time I get it out of the box and put together, it's easier to use the stand mixer. I'm a gadget girl so I probably have 40 to 50 small electrical appliances. My newest are the dash fall griddles.