Esteemed Contributor

What is your favorite dessert for Fall?

My 1st choice would be apple crisp or an apple dumping.  2nd would be pumpkin custard, not pie, just custard in a ramikin.  

Years ago I had a recipe for an apple cake that was wonderful.  Loaded with apples and walnuts, very moist.  It weighed a ton, but it was so good.  I lost the recipe and haven't found one close to it.

What's your favorite?

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite dessert for Fall?

Apple pie, and I make a good one if I do say so myself. 🍎🥧🍎

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

apple crisp!!

Respected Contributor

Indian Pudding.  It is like rice pudding only corn meal based.  It needs molasses, lots of milk and it bakes a long time.  I use the Fanny Farmer recipe from about 1974.  

We first had this in a fancy seafood restaurant in Boston many years ago.  I then saw Julia Child make it on TV (did I say this was long ago?)

Honored Contributor

1.  Apple Cider Donuts

2.  Wildberry Pie

Esteemed Contributor

This season is my downFALL! Smiley Wink  I love apple everything, pear everything, cranberry everything, and virtually all pumpkin baked goods as long as people take it easy with the pumpkin spice insanity. And with the weather just right for baking (well, after the next week of 100-degree temps in my area), it always seems like a good idea to "whip something up" for family, friends, and/or co-workers so I can have a taste. As we near the end of the year, it seems like every dessert is chocolate, but I'm a fruit fan all the way. Can you tell I'm excited for autumn to get here?!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My very favorite is from one of our favorite, long time posters on the recipe forum, @BritBrit:

"So moist, and one thing use a whisk on the topping the whole time!! don't stop it will get like a light caramel color....well first its a white color then as you whisk it it darkens..WOW!!its so good..I might just double it the topping the next time.. also make sure you put the topping on it while its hot."

Fresh Apple Cake

CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:

2 stick margarine
2 c sugar

ADD:
2 large eggs

IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples
1 c chopped walnuts
2-3 Tbsp milk

GLAZE
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Directions

1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.

2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.

4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.

6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

It's weird but apple pie would be my last choice.  Yeah, I know an apple dumpling is basically the same thing.  No explanation.  But the ratio of crust to apples in the dumpling has to be right.  Don't like thick crust.

Honored Contributor

Bread pudding with bourbon praline sauce.

Respected Contributor

Apple crisp and my birthday cake from my favorite bakery (October).