Valued Contributor

What is the best way to warm up corn tortillas?

I always choose them over the flour at any Mexican restaurant because they taste better. But at home when I go to take them out of the package it seems they're already kind of crumbly, they tend to fall apart easily. What's the best way to get them ready for eating?

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the best way to warm up corn tortillas?

@gulf coast girl - I can tell you what I do, but IDK if it's the best way! LOL!

I wrap mine in a completely damp paper towel, put them on a plate, and into the microwave for about 30 seconds. That always works. They come out warm and pliable.   Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I agree with beach-mom...you might have to adjust the time depending on how many you are heating up, use this way also to make echiladas.

Honored Contributor

Microwave them if you want them soft.

For crispy ones throw them in a med-hot skillet for 30 seconds (or less) each side until the edges get a little browned. Don't freak out if you see them smoking, that's okay.

Respected Contributor

i have a inexpensive tortilla warmer. one is styrofoam, the other is plastic. place in there and microwave for about 30-45 seconds. sometimes i just place them in a ziplock do the same thing

Respected Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

I always choose them over the flour at any Mexican restaurant because they taste better. But at home when I go to take them out of the package it seems they're already kind of crumbly, they tend to fall apart easily. What's the best way to get them ready for eating?

the only time i've ever seen my corn tortilla crumbly was when they were quite old. at least a month

Honored Contributor

if you have a gas stove, turn on a flame and use a pair of tongs to warm them up on each side. it is the easiest way to do it.

you can also purchase microwave warmers for tortillas. you can purchase fabric styles or other container style types made from different materials.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Microwave them if you want them soft.

For crispy ones throw them in a med-hot skillet for 30 seconds (or less) each side until the edges get a little browned. Don't freak out if you see them smoking, that's okay.

My neighbors mom makes fresh tortillas and brings some over about 2 x a month. She suggests heating quickly in a heated cast iron skillet for crisp tortillas and for soft to place between clean, slighty moist tea towels and microwave for 30 - 60 seconds (depending on qty and your microwave).

I'm usually lazy and just nuke one flour tortilla for about 10 seconds, slather w/ peanutbutter and scarf the whole thing down in about 30 seconds. My husband just eats the corn tortillas cold, rolled up. They are so delish.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always used a Comal for both corn and flour tortillas. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Ditto on that. Works perfectly!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@beach-mom wrote:

@gulf coast girl - I can tell you what I do, but IDK if it's the best way! LOL!

I wrap mine in a completely damp paper towel, put them on a plate, and into the microwave for about 30 seconds. That always works. They come out warm and pliable.   Smiley Happy