Respected Contributor

Re: What is cooking at your house this December?

Soushi, that roast beef meal is my idea of good food. Enjoy your busy day today.

Spix, Preds, always enjoy your comments and pix - whichever way you go. ECBG and HonnyBrown, don't forget to come back and visit - we love to have people stop by.

Nothing but rain yesterday and more of the same today. We are in such dire need of it but after such a long dry spell it has caused a lot of problems. Hopefully it will even out and the end result will be positive. Just do not like all the traffic accidents - too many people are lost or get hurt and that is never good/

Had stew but it disappeared quickly - someone - wonder who - ate all the meat out of it and I was left with carrots and onions primarily. Grrrrr - teenagers!!! Not sure if I will have chicken or a roast but whichever, it will wind up in the slow cooker.

We still are able to find chicken breasts with skin on and with the bones. Absolutely they have far more taste. They go for about 99 cents a pound. Was even thinking of buying some - haven't had this kind of breasts in years - and frying them. Sure sounds good just to even think about them.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Good day! We're having chili in the crockpot tonight, and I'd bought a mix to do honey cornbread to go with it. Just had my salad. (I'm being good!!) LOL

Happy eats to the rest of you. It's 39 outside in the sun, white clouds moving by at a pretty good clip and blue skies. Love our blue skies!!!

Respected Contributor

Qualitygal, your chili sounds great - LOVE good chili!!!

Finally decided what for dinner - pork roast in the slow cooker cooked in mushroom soup, fried cabbage and noodles with butter - Did you all say weird???? But you have to understand this is good for this old lady - I was born and raised in the South and this would be a typical dinner for us at any time. By the way, also having some vinegared cukes - love my fresh veggies with my other food. While I am about it will add I am also fixing some Perfection Salad. Haven't met a lot of people who like this either other than Southerners - SO GOOD. It will not be ready until tomorrow but will wait for it. It is a gelatin salad - look it up on the internet - you will either fall in love with it or go "no way". Sooooooooo good.

We are having a few drops more of rain - no where near what they predicted. Sob!!!!

Hope all had a great day!!

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning,

How is everyone doing this morning? Have a good day planned. Will meet for lunch with highschool friends, then will discuss book with book club at the library. It was "Someone" by McDermott. I really enjoyed it.

Dinner was very simple. My go to is tomato soup (Trader Joe's brand, excellent) and grilled cheese. I like to make the sandwich with several kinds of cheese. This time I added thin sliced ham.

I found this sauce, want to try it out on DH. He always raves about a white sauce his mother poured over her oatmeal cake. No one seems to have the recipe. Hoping this will be close.

Christmas Pudding Sauce
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated. Set aside egg whites to whip for last step.
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup whipping cream, whipped stiff
  1. Melt butter in a small sauce pan. Stir in flour until smooth.
  2. Beat egg yolk adding to it the sugar, salt and milk. Whisk together.
  3. Add egg mixture to butter and flour mixture and stir well.
  4. Cook mixture until thick and smooth. Allow to cool.
  5. Beat egg white until very stiff. Fold into cooled mixture.
  6. Whip cream and fold into mixture.
  7. Serve over warm steamed Christmas pudding.
  8. Sauce will keep well in refrigerator for several days. Lightly stir when ready to serve.
Respected Contributor

Good cooking and fixing there Soushi. I called TJ's as I have not been able to find my VEggie Nests in months and months. They PROMISED they have them so tomorrow am off to TJ's - which is REdlands. We are toooooooooooo small to have a TJ's but it is only a few minutes down the Freeway. Can hardly wait - I often have them as the sole food for dinner - they are so good and so healthy - in my opinion that is.

Rained and stormed last night - may have a tad more rain tomorrow and then we will warm up again - am ready for that. LOL.

Tonight for dinner? Another weirdy one you all are probably thinking. Am tired and actually do NOT want to cook anything but will. Pasta Alfredo - pre-packaged - and some corn and sliced hot house tomatoes. Well it is healthy and I LOVE veggies so it will work for me. Actually am convincing some of the other ones in this house veggies are really good. The big stumbling block is Davey - he was raised by his Father as a younger lad and his father was picky about half the veggies ever known were allergic to him - or so he said. It has been very difficult to get Davey past a lot of his DAd's hang ups - but he has made some progress. Now to get him eating early in the day - he REFUSES to eat breakfast or lunch and it truly bothers me as he sneaks food half the night. That has been very difficult for me to curb but have not given up on him.

Hope all had a great day!!!

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning,

Still dark here right now. It is getting a lighter grey. Will be in the low 30's again today. Seems we are stuck on that number.

Okay, last night here is what we had for a light meal after eating many of those Dainty Sugar Cookies. (Those cookies were a big hit. I used coconut oil instead of shortening, so had a hint of coconut. Took batches of them 2 different places and everyone loved them)

Back to last night's dinner. This turned out to be a big winner and I am keeping this recipe handy. Would be good on cardboard.

Grilled Chicken Bruschetta

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Ingredients:

3 medium vine ripe tomatoes

2 small cloves garlic, minced (only had garlic powder, it worked)

1/4 cup chopped red onion

2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped (I used dried about 1 T)

1 tbsp extra virgin oil

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced (didn't use)

1.25 lbs (8 thin sliced) chicken cutlets(recipe to follow)

Directions:

Combine onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Set aside a few minutes.

Chop tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Combine with garlic, basil, onion-balsamic combo and additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let it sit at least 10 minutes or as long as overnight. Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.

Season chicken with salt and fresh pepper. Grill the chicken cutlets on your indoor or outdoor grill, top with bruschetta and serve

Didn't grill but did this instead:

Chicken with Garlic and Parsley

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces

2 T Wondra Flour

1/2 t salt

1/2 t pepper

2 T olive oil

1 T chopped garlic(garlic powder)

3 T chopped parsley ((didn't use)

2 T butter

Mix salt/pepper/ flour . Toss chicken pieces in bowl with flour mixture.

Heat oil in skillet until very hot but not smoking. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through.

Combine the garlic and parsley, then add to pan with butter. Saute one minute.

Even with all my omissions, this combo was dynamite. Loved it. Will make again.

PS...Those Dainty Sugar Cookies are addictive, meant to eat only one this morning. And have already downed 3. So good with coffee.

Valued Contributor

This looks so good! I'm going to make up a batch!

Decadent Hot Chocolate Mix
Adapted a little from Cook’s Illustrated

Yield: Just under 1 3/4 cups mix, enough for 9 cups; packs up well in a 2-cup jar

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup cocoa powder, any kind you like
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or the seeds from a tiny segment of fresh vanilla bean
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until powdery. Don’t have a food processor? Chop or grate the chocolate until it is as fine as you can get it, and stir it into the remaining ingredients. Mixture keeps in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.

To use: Heat one cup of milk (coconut, almond or others would work here too) in a saucepan over medium heat until steamy. Add 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix. Whisk over heat for another minute or two, until it begins to simmer and mix is completely dissolved. Pour into mug, top with mini-marshmallows or a dollop of whipped cream

Honored Contributor