Respected Contributor

Re: What is cooking at your house this December?

rrpell, sure hope you come back often - some truly great ladies on this thread and we want you to be here also.

Went to the pot luck at Curves - 6 different kinds of soup - two had fish in them so NO thank you. I took Ambrosia, there ws three different kinds of cornbread - my favorite was cornbread made with broccoli - have had this before and it is super yummy.
Different kinds of teas, cookies and lots of other good stuff. NO dinner for me and had to run some errands afterwards so took Davey and went to Bob's Big Boy where he had pulled pork quesidilla. Whew, NO cooking tonight in this household.

It is very cold outside and overcast - have no clue if that means more rain or not.

School out for two weeks - need to TRY and find something for Davey to do - well there is plenty of chores here and I know we need to trim that last HUGE fruitless mulberry - will take the entire two weeks probably - check back in two weeks to see if that was really accomplished. No reason it should not be but then what can I say {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Hope all had a great day

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Morning all,

Rrpell, thank you for the kind words. You are always, always welcome here. Come and sit a spell with us. Chat about whatever you like or what is on your mind. We would love to have you.

I'm up early this morning (for me). Have a dang thing in the kitchen that goes off about 6 and makes a binging noise going faster and faster until it stops. By the time I was up and looking, it had turned itself off. I think it is a meat probe that I bought but haven't used. It is digital and need to take the time to read the directions.

Christmas with DD and friend, serving coffee at church tonight. Then will make a quick trip for Christmas in Ohio.

Having my first cup of coffee and it is so good.

Oh, just copied this recipe. Still looking for the perfect one.

Best Mexican White Cheese Dip

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound of white american cheese
  • 1/4 cup of milk (maybe more if you want it thinner)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 (4 oz) can of green chili's
  • teaspoon of cumin
  • teaspoon of garlic salt
  • cayenne pepper - a pinch

Instructions

1. Place cheese, milk, and butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
  2. Heat until melted - stirring frequently.
  3. Stir in the green chillis, cumin, garlic salt, and the cayenne pepper. Remember, it doesn't take much cayenne.
  4. Add more milk if you want it thinner.
  5. Serve immediately with chips, tortillas, and your favorite mexican dish.
Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Preds: Just love your comments. I look forward each day to seeing them. TY

Boop

Respected Contributor

I made Grapenuts Pudding. This tastes like a custard pie with graham cracker crust, in a pudding form, in case you can't imagine it or you aren't from New England, where this is very popular.

1 quart of whole milk, heated up to just below boiling

5 large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup of sugar (I use raw sugar and slightly less)

pinch salt

2 tsp of vanilla extract

1 Cup of Grapenuts cereal (the nugget type)

Good Cinnamon (I use Penzeys)

11x13 baking dish or a 11X7 If you use a smaller dish, you get a layered effect. If it's large, it stays mixed.

Grease the dish, preheat oven to 350, put water on to boil and get out a roasting pan that fits the baking dish.

Heat the milk and pour a half cup of it on the Grapenuts to soften them.

Temper the beaten eggs by putting a little hot milk into them, and mixing. Then slowly mix in the rest of the milk, slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs. Beat the sugar, vanilla and salt lightly into the soaked Grapenuts and mix in the milk - egg mixture. Pour this into the greased baking dish and sprinkle cinnamon all over the top.

Put the roaster into the oven, put in your baker, then pour boiling water half way up . Bake this for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and the sides are starting to pull away. Cool thoroughly before eating. Nice topped with whipped cream.

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 flbettyboop said:

Preds: Just love your comments. I look forward each day to seeing them. TY

Boop

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy them.

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone - had a real busy day!!!!

For dinner we had mandarin chicken, okra and noodles - now tell me of anything better.

A beautiful day here in Sou Cal - cooler tomorrow but should be doable. My bro brought me over a HUGE spiral ham so guess what I am cooking for Christmas - it is really big. He got it at Fresh n Easy - a marvelous small store - not big box at all. Prince Charles came here - actually to San Francisco to help open the first one a few years back. Super good store but they have sold and the new owners - while still carrying great food - have gotten very very pricey. Sigh. No water or flavoring or color in any of their meats - can you believe that. And their produce is labeled as to where it is grown and HOW it is grown. Love this store. In my opinion better than TJs but much smaller.

Hope all had a good day - my feathered friends have really been eating today.

Honored Contributor