Honored Contributor

Re: What is best way to cook bacon without getting grease all over

I just bake it at 350 on a sheet tray (no rack) and flip it once during the cooking and it comes out great. I find bacon varies greatly from one package to the next. Some will cook well in the microwave, some won't. Some will pan fry well, some won't. It pretty much all bakes well though, so I bake it. To me, the rack is just one more thing to clean and I find it unnecessary. I just plop the bacon on the sheet tray in a single layer. Halfway through I flip it. When done, I take each strip and blot it with a paper towel as I'm removing it from the sheet tray. When it's all blotted I put that paper towel in the sheet tray to absorb most of the bacon fat. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I bake it at 350° on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil(no rack) until crisp and it comes out great. I put it on the  sheet tray in a single layer. When done, I take each strip and put them on paper towels to drain. Next, I wrap it with paper towels and put it in a zip lock storage bag and place in refrigerator to use as needed(I cook the whole package at once so we can use it during the week for breakfast or BLT'S) I save the rendered fat for cooking. There is NEVER any mess from grease! 🥓😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do bacon exactly as @Starpolisher  does, after trial and error showed me the fastest way to cook it and the easiest way to clean up. 

Foil covering an aluminum baking sheet in preheated oven  at around 400-450 degrees, depending on how powerful your oven is and how fast you want the bacon to cook.

My kitchen garbage can is ready to receive a greasy sheet of foil anytime!!  My baking sheets don't complain, either.

If any real greasy mess were left in the oven, then *I*

would be the one to complain

Regular Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I bake it at 350° on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil(no rack) until crisp and it comes out great. I put it on the  sheet tray in a single layer. When done, I take each strip and put them on paper towels to drain. Next, I wrap it with paper towels and put it in a zip lock storage bag and place in refrigerator to use as needed(I cook the whole package at once so we can use it during the week for breakfast or BLT'S) I save the rendered fat for cooking. There is NEVER any mess from grease! 🥓😋

Cook exact same way in oven, making the whole package at once. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cook bacon on the stove top--low and slow and use a splatter screen over top. Also I buy bacon from the meat dept and not in packages--usually thick style and ask for lean bacon--not so much fat on it--if I need to add something I use a bit of olive oil to the pan.

Trusted Contributor

@MildredM  Does the bacon cut crispy when using those microwave trays?

Super Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@MildredM  Does the bacon cut crispy when using those microwave trays?

For the most part yes, I only like crispy bacon. If the bacon is too thick a cut it may not crisp up the way you might like it. When the microwave stops take a look under the paper towel and see if it is the doneness you prefer. If not, microwave another minute or two.

Super Contributor

@sonson wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I bake it at 350° on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil(no rack) until crisp and it comes out great. I put it on the  sheet tray in a single layer. W

Those of us in the Southwest where the temps are 100-105+ F. in the summer find that turning on the oven and heating up the kitchen is not the best way to go. It is hard enough for the airconditioner(s) to keep the house cool. Also, the spike in electric bills because of increased 220 voltage appliances. Where I live the entire montly electric bill is weighted to the peak of 200 voltage use.... run too many appliances at the same time and the voltage spike inflates the monthly bill.  It is crazy.

Valued Contributor

I bake bacon in the Breville oven @ 400F.  I save the grease in a glass jar and keep in the fridge for other cooking such as making Cornbread.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Valued Contributor

I use my GeorgeForman grill for bacon and sausage patties.