Respected Contributor

Re: What is a food you tried once and would never eat again?

@PA Mom-mom 

Thanks for the info on the chicken feet...I can see where they would be useful for bone broth or collagen source....I guess no different from using ANY bones or leftover carcass pieces for soup stock....

The ones I saw looked very clean!!!

And clean feet are always important!!!

Honored Contributor

@kindred cats wrote:

goat cheese, one bite made me GAG....never again!

My husband hates this SO much!  It's not that bad to me.  Anyway I'm not allowed to bring in the house!  Most Americans are just happy to have cow cheese.  But it is popular in Europe. Also they seem to prefer goat milk.  

Trusted Contributor

Tripe, blood sausage and fried perch (a freshwater fish from the Great Lakes region) are no-go for me.

My mother made beef tongue once.  After it was cooked (boiled) and cooled, she removed the skin and sliced it thin with a meat slicer.  It was sort of like eating beef lunch meat, not bad, but I'll never eat it again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen  Your post reminded me of an incident from years ago. My sister in law is from Hong Kong and she and my brother

had a favorite restaurant in Boston's China Town.

One day, my brother took me and my two young sons to this

restaurant for "real authentic Chinese food". Not the chop suey, egg rolls,

pork strips, chicken wings etc. that we were used to getting at our

local restaurants.

We each ordered something off the menu with my brother's guidance. My oldest son asked the waiter, who spoke little English, if he could get chicken fingers.

When they brought all the dishes out, the server lifted the big

stainless steel cover and on the platter were chicken feet!

The boys were horrified and my brother said that he would take them home and that his wife liked them.

I asked what she did with them, since there was no visible meat, and he said that she just chewed on the cartilage.

He also said that people give them to teething babies to chew on, but I think that he may have been joking.

I wonder if some people may use them to make a broth.

Edited - I just saw that @PA Mom-mom does use them for broth.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kale

Okra

Baba Ganoush

Liver

Poached egg

Mussels

Tofu

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother Same for me with quinoa. Besides tasting bad, it looks like a bowl of maggots. Blecccchhh! 🤢🤮

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff  My mother used to use chicken feet to make soup. She also used to chew on them after the broth was done. 

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@fairydogmother Same for me with quinoa. Besides tasting bad, it looks like a bowl of maggots. Blecccchhh! 🤢🤮

Haha yes! Truly heinous 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr  I was reading a series of books by Mia P. Manansala - the setting is two Phillipino restaurants in the US.  The foods are quite interesting - the beginning of the books includes a glossery about each food mentioned in the book. I remember the duck eggs

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of foods that I have absolutely no desire to try for one reason or another.  Seafood is on that list.  I can't get past the smell.  Even going into a seafood market when I'm at the beach or eating in a mostly seafood restaurant about makes me hurl.

Foods that I've actually tried and won't eat again would be mushrooms and coconut.  There are probably more but those are the most common that I can think of.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown