Honored Contributor

Re: What is Your Favorite Fruit?

Western cantaloupe!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Fruit is a MAJOR part of my diet, LOVE fruit!

I think blueberries top the list, being nudged by figs right off our trees.

What a yummy thread.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Sooner and @hayseed00

I completely agree about Cortland apples being the best!

I first discovered them while in New England, and loved them so much I bought a flat crate of them and kept them in the trunk of my rental car so I could have one whenever I wanted.

Then, I ordered some for delivery to my home in CA.  Unfortunately, they didn't travel well and didn't taste the same on arrival.  We don't have them here in stores.  The closest are Pink Lady apples.  But I'll never forget those Cortlands!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

That's the problem with Cortland apples they seem to soften fast and are more apt to spoil.  I have always loved them since I was a little girl.  Here in NY State we are fortunate to produce these tasty orbs of red.

Honored Contributor

Blueberries and strawberries

Followed closely by pineapple

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Honeycrisp apples, seedless watermelon, peaches, blueberries.....

Better to reply what fruit I do not like = bananas (it's not that I don't like the taste, but I can only get through about 1/3 of a banana in one sitting).

@Caaareful Shopper

I haven't read all the replies, but I read something of interest awhile back, and wonder if it is true.

The piece answered a question I'd been asking for many years. What has happened to the taste of bananas?

They don't taste the same to me as when I was a kid. My mom even mentioned it. This article said that many years ago (maybe the 70's) the most of the banana crop was affected by some kind of disease/pest something. 

They decided to develop a less sensitive, more resistant banana, and that is what is mostly grown around the world now. 

I thought it was just me and changing taste buds, but I rarely find a really good tasting banana.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. This is remarkable.  Sometimes while I’m eating a banana I feel like I’m trying to be loyal to a memory, really! Then you mentioned what you read.... 

Whatever it is, bananas just aren’t the same to me either.  Thank you for sparking my interest to see what I can find out about this.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Better to reply what fruit I do not like = bananas (it's not that I don't like the taste, but I can only get through about 1/3 of a banana in one sitting).

@Caaareful Shopper

I haven't read all the replies, but I read something of interest awhile back, and wonder if it is true.

The piece answered a question I'd been asking for many years. What has happened to the taste of bananas?

They don't taste the same to me as when I was a kid. My mom even mentioned it. This article said that many years ago (maybe the 70's) the most of the banana crop was affected by some kind of disease/pest something. 

They decided to develop a less sensitive, more resistant banana, and that is what is mostly grown around the world now. 

I thought it was just me and changing taste buds, but I rarely find a really good tasting banana.

@Mominohio  Maybe I don't remember what they tasted because I've never really liked them.  I really don't like them after they get ripe and sweet and sticky, so only eat them when they are still a little greenish!  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio @Caaareful Shopper

Here's an article from Business Insider that answers a lot of questions about the sad history of bananas:

http://www.businessinsider.com/banana-fruit-changes-history-2016-2#either-way-its-not-looking-good-f...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper

@Mominohio  Maybe I don't remember what they tasted because I've never really liked them.  I really don't like them after they get ripe and sweet and sticky, so only eat them when they are still a little greenish!  

@Sooner

I like mine before they get brown spots. In my world there are only a couple of days that a banana is really just right for eating. 

I use the over ripe ones for making banana bread. My husband will eat them all brown and mushy...makes me sick to know he is doing it! LOL