Honored Contributor

Re: What is The Price of Bread, Milk, Eggs in Your Area?

IGA in southern WV today:

$2.69 - gallon 2% milk

$3.09 - Natures Own white wheat bread

$2.10 - dozen jumbo white eggs

Esteemed Contributor

It's funny that I knew exactly what I paid for my vanilla beans and liquor, but I have no idea what I pay for the food items you listed!

Whatever's on my shopping list, I just put in the cart.

The only thing I notice is that when DH is along for shopping, the bill is noticeably higher.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

It's funny that I knew exactly what I paid for my vanilla beans and liquor, but I have no idea what I pay for the food items you listed!

Whatever's on my shopping list, I just put in the cart.

The only thing I notice is that when DH is along for shopping, the bill is noticeably higher.

@Harpa At this point I'm a lot like you.  We don't eat expensive stuff every day.  We are big on pots of beans and soup, pasta and bottled sauce with cottage cheese, and we eat chicken a few times a week.  

We have red meat at least once a week too, good burgers or good steaks.  I feel like we don't buy snack foods much so that's a treat.  

Honored Contributor

Honestly I don't know....however my son really likes a local artisan bread that is ridiculously expensive at $10.00 a loaf!  I like the Costco seeded whole wheat bread that comes two to a package....I don't know the price ($6.00?) but it's less than $10.00.

I don't buy milk but I get local from the farm pastured organic eggs which is $5.00 a dozen.  They have almost orange yolks and are so good!

I need to pay more attention to the cost of some regular items.  I just know if the total is higher than usual.

Respected Contributor

Egg prices are all over the place.  Aldi recently  has had a dozen large eggs anywhere from 45 cents a dozen to 95 cents. Publix at around $1.30 or more.

Same with milk.  Publix has gallons of 1-percent milk at around $3.00 or more.  Walmart and Aldi  and sometimes even Kroger are under $2.00 to as low as $1.30.

Bread has seemed very expensive to me for the past couple years, especially because we always buy more bread than we can use and wind up discarding it.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I also don’t keep track of price of specific items for same reason pretty much buy same things every week. Overall the weekly bill has continued to go up and in some cases the container size if items has become smaller. I do know average cost of bread I buy is $4.00. Purchased four 6oz sirloin steaks this week and they were $7.99 each on sale, regular price is $8.99 each. I’d also like to add that eating healthy is not cheap.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1    It's only my husband and me in our house. I do buy bread, when I can get it, I purchase the 1/2 loaf size other wise a full loaf. It's rewrapped --into several slices to a package...(wrapped and then put in a zip lock bag) and frozen.  I know some people would not freeze bread but I refuse to throw food away, and it works for us.