Honored Contributor

Re: What is The Price of Bread, Milk, Eggs in Your Area?

I just got back from grocery store .... Eggs (large) were $2.49, and Levy's Rye bread* was $4.69.  I usually pick up my milk at the deli around the corner - I think it's about $2.75 a half gallon.

*Rye bread makes delicious grilled cheese sandwiches.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Very interesting you ask this today I was surprised at the spike in prices for "essentials".

Rye Bread, Pepperidge Farm

last week $3.09

this week $4.37

Eggs - Extra Large

last week $2.09

this week $3.19

Milk - small pint

last week $1.09

this week $2.19

thats all I bought but took a look at:  fresh ground beef $6.49/lb (ground chuck) and chicken thighs $4.89/lb...forget it not buying at those prices--

Contributor

Aldi - Baltimore suburbs today

1/2 gallon lactose free milk 2.79

1 qt fat free coffee creamer 1.55

Cream cheese .79

Broccoli crowns 1 lb  1.35

Ground turkey 93/7  1.2 lbs  4.29

8 ciabatta rolls 2.45

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just got back from Walmart and Aldi....Western PA...

Prices from receipts from last two weeks:

Walmart Great Value Jumbo Eggs last week were 1.82 a dozen.

Heavy cream for my coffee, one quart, was 3.12. (last week).

Reg Gasoline for my mower can, today: 3.65/gallon

I  didn't buy the items you asked about this week, BUT....Last week they had turkeys (store brand) for 1.78 a pound, MOST were 22 pounds or more ( about 39.00 PER turkey!!)...

I'm single, and could not find a tiny turkey, and that price was ridiculous.

This week, TOPS in my town has turkeys for 1.99 a pound !!!!! WOW!!!!

Today, Walmart had small store brand AND Butterballs for 1.48 a pound. People must've complained about last weeks 1.78 and huge sizes.

I got Two for myself, the smallest I could find, about 15.00 each. I must've looked just great rooting around in the deep open freezer!!!

I REALLY wanted an Oven Stuffer Roaster Chicken ( they run to 8-9 pounds) but NO store has had them here for months ( TOPS, Walmart, Aldi and Shurfine....I'm very lucky...in the small town I live in there are four grocery stores!!!)

The very best protein source in my local Walmart is the ten pound bag of Purdue chicken leg/thigh sections. They are in a Purdue heavy plastic bag. They are the less than perfect looking parts that have torn skin, or maybe the ball end of the leg is broken. They can't be packed in the fancy looking smaller packages. I don't care...they taste the same to me!

I've been buying these for YEARS at 59 cents a pound !!!!! ( $5.90 a bag, for 11-13 leg/thighs) I LOVE  dark meat chicken...only eat white meat in chicken or turkey salad.

The price of that chicken skyrocketted to ...61 cents pound!!  (s/) I buy a lot of these parts, cook up 3-4 at a time, and lasts two to three days for me. I use my Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven to cook them...UMMMM!!!

And the heavy vinyl bags make great garbage bags for wet stuff ( peelings,  etc....)

Aldi had 10 pound bags of chicken leg thighs this week for 49 cents a pound, but they were sold out today when I went.

Purdue chicken parts ( like all drumsticks, or all thighs) have been 1.26 a pound in the family pack forever here at our Walmart.

There was NO canned cat food in the cat food aisle. This is the third week like this. I ordered from Walmart or Amazon to get the type my picky cats will eat. ( Friskies pate). When I last tried to order online, Walmart, Amazon and Chewy were completely out of the variety I need. 

That's my report for this week.

I see our Aldi has none of the German specialty cakes and cookies and whatnot they usually get in this time of year...but maybe it's too early. I don't eat carbs generally, but ONCE in a while I will, , and I enjoy thier Stolen. 

Esteemed Contributor

I usually buy bread and eggs on sale.  Goretti's is the only grocery store in town and their prices are pretty much in line with other supermarktets.

Bread is usually $2 on sale; the Pepperidge Farm breads, $4; and the instore bakery breads more (but worth it!),

Eggs go on special for one day, usually two weeks in a row, for 99cents a dozen for large.

Bananas also go on sale as the eggs do 39/lb as well as skinless chicken breasts for 3.99/lb (up from 2.99).

I only buy organic milk which is and always has been $5 or $6 half gallon, depending which brand.

Ice cream, various brands, go on sale for $3/gallon weekly.

Meats are pretty high here - the store is known for it's butcher dept - but 80% hamburg used to be a Saturday special for $3/lb, now $4.59.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I usually buy bread and eggs on sale.  Goretti's is the only grocery store in town and their prices are pretty much in line with other supermarktets.

Bread is usually $2 on sale; the Pepperidge Farm breads, $4; and the instore bakery breads more (but worth it!),

Eggs go on special for one day, usually two weeks in a row, for 99cents a dozen for large.

Bananas also go on sale as the eggs do 39/lb as well as skinless chicken breasts for 3.99/lb (up from 2.99).

I only buy organic milk which is and always has been $5 or $6 half gallon, depending which brand.

Ice cream, various brands, go on sale for $3/gallon weekly.

Meats are pretty high here - the store is known for it's butcher dept - but 80% hamburg used to be a Saturday special for $3/lb, now $4.59.

Sorry, forgot to add, I live in Central MA.Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

It is very interesting to see what you are paying and how you shop.

I was thinking today about what things I am willing to pay more for:  for me one in particular is tuna!  And sardines!  

I figure if I can pay $5 or $6 for a fast food meal I can pay that much for a can of really good tuna that makes sandwiches for both of us.

It's all about what you like, what you think is good for you, etc.  So I like reading these posts!  

Respected Contributor

Sooner!!!

I give foods I buy the "Fast Food" test too!!!

So even if something IS "expensive" in the store, how does it compare to ONE glop meal in the drive thru????

I too like good tuna and also sardines and kippers!! And I buy the RED SALMON in the large cans from Walmart online .....about 9.00 a can, but after I add chopped celery, capers, lemon zest and juice, chopped onion and a little mayo to it, it  lasts me about three days. It is VERY filling, but I really love it!!!

Another thing is steak. YES it's VERY expensive right now, but I still buy it. Cut in half, use one half per day. With a green veggie that's enough for me.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the price differences for the people who responded.

It must be terrible for people feeding a family, or for seniors on fixed incomes. I do see people looking at the meat and putting it back....but there's always something to buy on sale. 

I have one "egg day" per week. I buy the Walmart jumbo eggs, and make a cheese omelet. Some days I just don't feel like "meat"....and on days I mow my place, I sure don't want to start cooking when I come in from that job ( takes hours on the rider...what was I thinking when I bought an acre of lawn?!?!?!?!??)

Great topic question!!!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen Wow we are twins! If it's not expensive to a fast food meal, yes good food is really really worth it!  LOL!  

One of our favorite tunas is Callipo--we buy the little single serving cans from the amazing delivery place and "fish" for a good price and then buy a lot!  Woman Very Happy  

I get Santa Amaro Tuna (sometimes spiced, sometimes in water) or Ortiz if I see it on sale too.  

Tonnino tuna in the jars is a real treat when it's on sale too!  Any good tuna is a real treat to us.  We made tuna salad yesterday with apples, walnuts, celery and mayo and it was great. 

Steaks on sale, yep!  And salmon we buy it frozen from Alaska and it is wonderful.  I wait until it is $20 a pound or under and get 8 to 10 pounds at a time.  

I figure like you it's good for us, and it would cost a lot more at a restaurant,  so we'll get 2 or usually 3 servings a pound.  And it's a treat!  

Honored Contributor

I don't keep track of the price of specific items...I pretty much buy the same thing all the time. What I do know is that I cannot get out of the grocery store for uner $125.00 these days.  

It's a crime...and I lay blame where it's due.  It's going to be a very long winter.