Contributor

What happened to the alleged 5 reviews of today's special Genius Chopper?

[ Edited ]

I went looking for reviews on today's special gadget, the Genius Chopper, and supposedly it has 5 customer reviews and 3.5 stars.  However, when you click to get details, you get the wonderful opportunity to "be the first to post a review."

I want to know what people think about this little gadget, so I can decide whether to get one.  Anyone have any experience with these? 

Respected Contributor

Re: What happened to the alleged 5 reviews of today's special Genius Chopper?

@novadc wrote:

I went looking for reviews on today's special gadget, the Genius Chopper, and supposedly it has 5 customer reviews and 4.5 stars.  However, when you click on the item, you get the wonderful opportunity to "be the first to post a review."

I want to know what people think about this little gadget, so I can decide whether to get one.  Anyone have any experience with these? 

I'm pretty sure I've reviewed it before.  Many times it's a different configeration of accessories so the number is changed.   If I have a lot of veggies to cut up I love it for that.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Contributor

I clicked on today's special chopper and it supposedly has 5 not-so-perfect reviews, but the reviews are not available to see.  It's not a different model, that I can see, and apparently been for sale before today.

If all  5 reviews were five-star, maybe the reviews would be visible??????

Esteemed Contributor

I find that happens a lot....very sneaky of the Q....then the next day....tomorrow....the reviews will show up....

Esteemed Contributor

I got this a couple months ago! It is a very handy kitchen tool, and a huge timesaver.

It has its little pecularities:

1) there are a bunch of parts & they need to be stored

2) there are very sharp edges, so you still have to be careful

3) cleaning is not always a breeze because of the grooves of the pusher

4) directions were not "spelled out" clearly

5) you still have prep -- for instance, if you want to dice, you need to slice things   beforehand

But the good features:

1) it cuts precisely & very uniform

2) the container is nice & large so you save time scraping food off a cutting board &

into your bowl

3) the whole process is super quick - a company-size bowl of potato salad is made before you can blink an eye  (you get the idea)

4) no aches in the repetitive hand cutting/chopping process

5) nice variety in the choices of sizes of the cutting blades -- from big chunks to fine dice to slices to grating....(if you buy the component pieces)

6) sturdy & well constructed (this was the remark made by DH)

Contributor

Thanks!  Very useful comments.

Super Contributor

I purchased this as a TSV about 5 years ago. I like it and use it a lot in the summer. You MUST  have some arm strenght t o use the cutter. You have to really press down sharply to cut through the veggies.

Cleanup is not hard, you just rinse it right after you finish using it. it does take up a bit of storage space.

Mine still looks & works like new. I would buy it again.

Respected Contributor

@Wadzlla wrote:

I purchased this as a TSV about 5 years ago. I like it and use it a lot in the summer. You MUST  have some arm strenght t o use the cutter. You have to really press down sharply to cut through the veggies.

Cleanup is not hard, you just rinse it right after you finish using it. it does take up a bit of storage space.

Mine still looks & works like new. I would buy it again.

I find if I put it much lower than I am it is much easier.   I'm short and I need a step stool if I use my counter.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Contributor

I just got done purging my kitchen of all the kitchen gadgets I've accumulated over the years. Stuff I thought was a wonder until I started using them. Quickly I found that it didn't work as easily as they portrayed. Junk that was a lot of work & fiddling around to set up & use. Stuff that was more trouble to clean than if I just used a good chef knife. Junk that took up too much room in my kitchen. Junk that I ended up being relegated to the back of closets & the basement because I didn't have room to store it in the kitchen. Once there it sat unused because it was too much trouble to dig it out, rinse it off (because it was dusty from sitting) & putting it together. I've wasted so much money throughout the years. All I really needed to do was get a good chef & paring knife & develop fast & proper knife skills. Oh well, I've learned & I helped the The Goodwill out in the end.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

You all have raised the very points that have made me ambivalent about this type of chopper in the past. I would need to stand on a stool to get the proper angle,  strength and leverage over the vegetables being chopped.  If I liked it enough, I'd find storage space for it, but it IS pretty big and bulky.  Very temping in many respects but I guess I'll pass on it for now.